Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Enola Holmes

Started by Custard, September 25, 2020, 11:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Anyone seen this yet? A straight to Netflix job which focuses on Sherlock Holmes' sister, who is called Enola.

Millie Bobbie Brown is good in this as the lead character, though Henry Cavill looks really bored as Sherlock. You forget Brown is incredibly English, so it was nice to hear her real accent again.

The film is based on a book, and it's clearly aimed at the young youth of the young. But, I quite enjoyed it. It's a breezy, lightweight romp, with surprisingly weighty violence and the occasional passable action sequence. And a solid cast. Wish Helena Bonham Carter had been in it more, as her interplay with Brown was pretty good

The central mystery is a bit of a dud, and it's getting very mixed reviews, but it is FINE. And I hope they make more as I far prefer Enola/Brown to Cumberbuns. Least this isn't pretending to be high brow or massively intelligent or trying to be constantly twisty. It's just a bit of light fun

No bad. 3 bags

EDIT - And it's fine to sing Enola Gay/Holmes throughout, as I certainly did

beanheadmcginty

From all the publicity I didn't read properly I'd assumed this was a TV series. Now I know it's just one film I might be more likely to watch.

Glebe

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 25, 2020, 09:16:28 PM
From all the publicity I didn't read properly I'd assumed this was a TV series. Now I know it's just one film I might be more likely to watch.

Yeah I thought it was a series too.

studpuppet

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 25, 2020, 09:16:28 PM

I watched it last night, and thought it was a series until I was an hour in and wondering why it hadn't finished yet...

It's definitely set up as a two hour pilot/introduction though. By the end she's set up with a bunch of likely-to-be-semi-recurring characters as a possible partner/understudy to Sherlock.

touchingcloth

How does Helena get away with having the same hair in everything she's ever been in? From Pride & Prejudice to this without a single change.

Phil_A

The way this has been virally promoted on Facebook is kind of hilarious in how they've totally misrepresented the film as being "Henry Cavill's Sherlock Holmes Movie." I think if I were Millie Bobbie Brown I'd be fuming about that.

robotam

Most I have laughed in a long time was when Enola Holmes, child detective,
Spoiler alert
fuckin kills the fuckin bad guy!
[close]

Butchers Blind

Is she feisty?  I bet she's feisty.

Dropshadow

Not a bad film by any means, but really quite....... forgettable. The bits where she breaks the fourth wall and winks/talks at you are quite endearing - the first 3 or 4 times she does it. By rendition 17, though, it's yawnsome. And throughout the whole thing you're saying "Hey, it's that boy/girl from Stranger Things! What's she doing there?!"

holyzombiejesus

The main problem for me is that I find Millie Bobbie Brown to be an extremely unlikeable actor. I found the sub-Fleabag talking to camera really irritating too.

Blinder Data

I didn't realise this was basically made for kids aged 8-12 before watching but it was quite enjoyable. Some dodgy CGI though.

wooders1978

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 12, 2020, 11:33:41 AM
The main problem for me is that I find Millie Bobbie Brown to be an extremely unlikeable actor. I found the sub-Fleabag talking to camera really irritating too.

It's the flea bag rip off thing that has put me off I think - I don't mind mbb she seems alright and I enjoy stranger things
I also think I'm just gonna find that I'm probably not really in the demographic for a child detective movie

Old Nehamkin

To be fair the show fleabag didn't actually invent having a character address the camera.

wooders1978

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 12, 2020, 04:39:03 PM
To be fair the show fleabag didn't actually invent having a character address the camera.

True, but it became "their thing" didn't it - I can't really think of any other examples

Edit - ferris bueller of course

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 12, 2020, 05:00:15 PM
True, but it became "their thing" didn't it - I can't really think of any other examples

Edit - ferris bueller of course

House of Cards did it fairly recently. Malcolm in the Middle a few years before that.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

wooders1978

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 12, 2020, 05:26:12 PM
No.

Ok I'll admit defeat here being as I'm completely wrong and hadn't thought it out at all

Custard

Plus the director of this directed some of Fleabag, apparently

THE PLOT THICKENS

wooders1978

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 12, 2020, 05:51:35 PM
Plus the director of this directed some of Fleabag, apparently

THE PLOT THICKENS

Yes!!! I was right!

No.
Quote from: WikipediaA soliloquy (/səˈlɪləkwi/, from Latin solo "to oneself" + loquor "I talk", plural soliloquies) are thoughts spoken out loud without addressing another, a monologue addressed to oneself.[1]
Soliloquies are used as a device in drama to let a character make their thoughts known to the audience, address it directly or take it into their confidence.[2] English Renaissance drama used soliloquies to great effect;[2] for example, the soliloquy "To be, or not to be" is a centerpiece of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

wooders1978

Yeah but that's actually saying something, not giving a knowing look

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 12, 2020, 06:30:41 PM
Yeah but that's actually saying something, not giving a knowing look

Oliver Hardy was doing that quite regularly about a hundred years ago.

wooders1978

Flounce thread any minute now

holyzombiejesus

It's clearly a long standing device but the way it's carried out in this, with the irritating knowing sass, is obviously influenced hugely by Fleabag. I don't think these asides would look the same way at all if Fleabag hadn't existed.

Mr_Simnock

I done watched this recently, not bad, now I know it's for kids (I did wonder a bit) I think it does what it is supposed to do.

Artie Fufkin

Yeah. Definitely watchable, I thought. Could deffo be a series. It wasn't til about 3/4 of the way through I realised Sherlock was Superman (Henry Kal-El). It was very 'right on', wasn't it? Which isn't a bad thing, of course.

phantom_power

I thought this was pretty good, better than I expected. Certainly the best thing involving Sherlock Holmes in a while. It is right on, but in a good way and I think the time it is set in lends itself to it. Someone also has a timely dig at Sherlock for being a well-off person who isn't interested in politics because they don't want things to change

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What kind of shit middle name is Bobbie anyway