Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moonbase 8

Started by chveik, September 27, 2020, 02:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Jake Thingray

Barry Letts and Terrance Dicks leave thread disappointed.

ajsmith2

I wonder if this finally got picked up after Avenue thingy and Space Force showed there's a market for underwhelming new sci fi comedy featuring people associated with much better things.

Retinend

haha they drink da pee pee

Small Man Big Horse

I've not seen it yet but I've noticed it's now available on yer torrent site things.

The Mollusk

All comedy trailers are wacky quick-cut horse shit. This looks like it has the potential to be decent outside of that.

Rizla

Just watched episode 1, pretty good really. If you like the cast's other work then you'll dig it.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought it was okay, mildly funny, with the odd nice line of dialogue, but it was also fairly bland in places. Will give it a couple more episodes as I do like the cast but I hope it ups it's game and becomes a lot funnier soon.

McChesney Duntz

Heidecker has said that the first episode is the weakest of the lot (mostly table-setting in the best pilot tradition) and to stick with it.

PlanktonSideburns

whyd it got bake off music

Retinend

I am way more enthusiastic about this since I learned it doesn't actually take place in space, but rather in a desolate landscape remote from humanity. Kind of like "The Thing" but without the shapeshifting aliens. I'm looking forward to binging the series, and seeing Tim Heidecker[nb]Side-plug:my feature length documentary about Heidecker and the 2016 election is still available [/nb] and John Reilly in a thing for the first time(?) since the end of Check It Out Sreason 4, four years ago.

McChesney Duntz

Showtime dropped all six episodes of this for their streaming subscribers, of which I am one, so i watched the lot last evening. Enjoyed it. Definitely using the subtle/low-key aspects of the three leads' personae, so it's likely to underwhelm a lot of people, but it's so damn likable and nowhere near as try-hard as Avenue 5 or Space Force. Laughed a lot, but oddly can't remember too many specific gags (other than a sudden but brief detour into slapstick in the third episode) - most of the comedy is in the character beats, which seem effortless, and the occasional dollops of absurdity that get dropped in every once in a while. Liked it quite a bit.

Retinend

Maybe the characters aren't obvious enough for me? I sometimes lose track of which characters have which personalities and why they are doing what they are doing. In episode 4 they are sat around a table on opposite sides of the table to their guests being passive aggressive in a funny way, but I'm lost as to why. Is it just because the visitors are young and they are jealous of that?

QDRPHNC

4 episodes in and I'm loving it.

Mobius

Quite a light and breezy watch, but not really that funny.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Retinend on November 12, 2020, 03:28:12 PM
Maybe the characters aren't obvious enough for me? I sometimes lose track of which characters have which personalities and why they are doing what they are doing. In episode 4 they are sat around a table on opposite sides of the table to their guests being passive aggressive in a funny way, but I'm lost as to why. Is it just because the visitors are young and they are jealous of that?

It's just awkward, the Space X guys are trying to be nice because they're younger, smarter, have better technology, more funding, but they're feeling the insecurity of the Moonbase guys who are being kind of desperate and cloying.