Author Topic: Musical gear wanking thread  (Read 15539 times)

NoSleep

• Me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day
    • Space Is The Place
Re: Musical gear wanking thread
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2021, 05:23:39 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what's wrong.
It powers on fine but only works in “hold” mode.

So it only works when you have "Hold" selected on the right hand control? Isn't that some sort of looping effect?

Or do you mean it only works if you keep your foot down on the pedal?

I think it sounds like you've worn some moving parts out. Or maybe the circuit board has collapsed inside the pedal. Best thing to do is open it up and check for damage.

There's plenty of cheap options for delay pedals out there these days.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2021, 01:26:15 PM »
Yeah probably did a shit job of explaining that.

Basically, it only works as a hold/looper pedal (ie you have to keep your foot on it, and it loops the signal forever) on all but the smallest delay time setting. It’s been like that for years on the biggest delay time setting in the far right (next to the hold setting), but the issue seems to be migrating along the time settings and pretty soon I’ll just have a second looper pedal that I don’t want.

Google had nothing for me - I think taking it apart and having a look is probably my best bet. Considering I only have time to play properly once or twice a week these days, fuck knows when that will be. I’m not particularly pedal-loyal, boss delays are probably the only ones I’ve always used and will continue to use because I’m a dunce and I don’t want to learn a new interface.

« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2021, 09:52:46 PM »
Rewiring a guitar - pain in the arse or not?

Got a Schecter with a 2xHB both coil split set up that has been done by some sort of idiot. I have a wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan, and started trying to work out what has snapped, but it's a real mess in there. Think I'd probably have to have it all out and do it from scratch as the original job is such a shocker.

Easier to pay someone?

« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2021, 11:25:41 PM »
I'm also facing technical difficulties. Trying to sell my old Vox AC15 amp, spent some time last night cleaning all the bits and pieces and checking it over. Someone came round to try it this morning and immediately discovered the reverb is broken, which I'd somehow missed, great. After he'd scoffed himself home I took the back off and poked at it with a wooden spoon but couldn't see anything wrong. Might try and borrow a wheely cart thing from the pub next door to take it down the guitar shop.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2021, 12:11:58 AM »
I’d probably buy that off you because who buys an amp for the pre-installed effects? A clown, that’s who.

« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2021, 12:16:30 AM »
It's a proper classic feature though, it's an actual physical reverb tank full of springs and reverb inside the box.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2021, 12:49:44 AM »
It's a proper classic feature though, it's an actual physical reverb tank full of springs and reverb inside the box.

Is it?!

Well, what kind of clown wouldn’t know that? A very foolish one, that’s who.[1]
 1. I think I’ve used Fender black face amps exclusively for about... 12 years at this point? I had a Marshall 15w tube amp in 2009 I used for recording but even then I preferred the Fender super champ I had at the time. Like I say, I’m a dunce and refuse to learn new interfaces.

NoSleep

• Me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2021, 06:08:32 AM »
Rewiring a guitar - pain in the arse or not?

Got a Schecter with a 2xHB both coil split set up that has been done by some sort of idiot. I have a wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan, and started trying to work out what has snapped, but it's a real mess in there. Think I'd probably have to have it all out and do it from scratch as the original job is such a shocker.

Easier to pay someone?

If you're up to soldering and you're tidy up after somebody else's mess that already fits in the space provided, it can't be too difficult, unless the space provided under the pick guard is insufficient for what's crammed there. Then you'd have to be up for some carpentry (making the cavity larger).

DJ Bob Hoskins

• Going mental in a dustbin
« Reply #188 on: May 23, 2021, 03:21:23 PM »
For anyone making music with an iOS device: a few Moog apps are currently free on the App Store. I nabbed the Model D last year when it was made free for a short time and it’s pretty decent. Download ‘em while you can.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/all-of-moogs-ios-synth-apps-are-currently-free-get-the-minimoog-model-15-animoog-and-filtatron-for-nothing

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2021, 12:29:16 PM »
For anyone making music with an iOS device: a few Moog apps are currently free on the App Store. I nabbed the Model D last year when it was made free for a short time and it’s pretty decent. Download ‘em while you can.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/all-of-moogs-ios-synth-apps-are-currently-free-get-the-minimoog-model-15-animoog-and-filtatron-for-nothing

I got that Model D too last year when it was free, its really good.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2021, 12:31:48 AM »
What courier/postal service are people using for guitars these days in the UK?

I’m getting my old tele shipped across the Atlantic and am having to direct my parents despite being entirely clueless myself. I suspect Royal Mail are hopeless but have no idea on alternatives.

It’ll go in a hardcase (but it’s the original fender hardcase, not a big plastic clamshell flightcase type thing) and I’ve told my dad to wrap it in “shitloads” of cardboard (and he’s good value for wrapping stuff in cardboard) so not too worried there. Just want it to be a halfway reliable service for international shipping.

My go-to is fedex - are they any use? Google doesn’t have a clear answer really. I’d guess it’s worth ~£800 so some level of insurance would probably be useful and any personal recommendations on reliability will be gladly received.

(Sorry for using this thread like a personal advice column. I am duly embarrassed at my lack of knowledge.)

« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2021, 11:18:09 PM »
I worked for Fedex (spit) and the induction contained a tit load of propaganda about how brilliant they are. They asked the group how much a hardback book from Paris to NY would cost - about £50 I recall because we all guessed about a third of that. They boast that they have the best quality and can move a frozen T Rex across the US. But they treat the staff like shit and there's nothing like a self employed van driver to ignore a handle with care sign when loading up a van.

They might well be a bit better in terms of service, but I get the impression it will cost you through the arse.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2021, 11:32:21 PM »
(Again - sorry everyone for turning this thread into a Ferris advice column.)

I think the bit I’m concerned about is the “over the ocean and ooh it’s gone missing tough luck pal hahaha” bit. I was talking to my dad about it a few hours ago actually, as I said then, it’s basically tough as nails and would need a shipping crate to land on it to cause issues, and even so I’d be able to replace parts fairly easily. If the case gets beat up, well whatever.

If the actual guitar gets dinged, well... I’ll post a picture if/when it ever arrives, but suffice to say I used it to smash the *fuck* out of cymbals when playing in a punk band as a teenager and I stubbed out cigarettes on it on stage more than once (which ages me a bit).

I’m worried about some sticky fingered cunt nicking it, basically. It’s looking like fedex will get the nod (though I’ll likely pay £200 for it all) and I’ll report back when done. Suspect it’ll be alright? Fucking hope so anyway.

Tags: