Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:53:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical gear wanking thread

Started by popcorn, September 27, 2020, 03:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Anyone ever given these pedals a go? Grab your soldering iron and get stuck in!

https://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/brands/byoc-kits?page=9

Look like a fun project (especially the "build by numbers" approach, ideal for an electronics dunce like me).

buzby

Quote from: popcorn on October 01, 2020, 09:00:23 PM
Sequential have just announced a reissue of the Prophet-5.

I had a play on an original Prophet-5 a few years ago and it was the loveliest synth I've ever played. It's been outclassed in a thousand ways since, but for me it was the perfect blend of shape, size, feel, sound and lovely simplicity. Just felt like a nice inviting all-rounder.

Wanking now.
Glad to see Dave Smith trying to get in before Ulli Behringer takes all his market away (again), and he's getting his chips from OnChip/Curtis now rather than CoolAudio.  Funny how the list of 'Prophet People' in the video features the likes of OMD & Ultravox but not New Order or Japan (a band whose sound was defined by the P5)

popcorn

Yeah I noticed the lack of Japan too.

Quote from: buzby on October 07, 2020, 11:03:15 AM
he's getting his chips from OnChip/Curtis now rather than CoolAudio

What's the significance of that?

buzby

Quote from: popcorn on October 07, 2020, 11:34:08 AM
Yeah I noticed the lack of Japan too.

What's the significance of that?
CoolAudio is a Chinese chip cloning and fabrication company, originally owned by the US-based IC manufacturer Intersil but was sold to Behringer in 2000. When Dave Smith started making analogue synths again in 2002 (as DSI, before he got the Sequential name back), Curtis/OnChip had long-discontinued their original line of CEM analogue synth and filter chips that Smith's designs were based on, so DSI approached CoolAudio to clone the chips they needed (basically they decap the chips and try to copy the silicon layout).

Fast forward some years and Ulli Behringer sees that there's a market in 'recreating' classic analogue synths (largely based on the success of DSI and Korg's products in that market, and open source-based clones of the TB303 and TR808) and so decided to start cloning old synth designs (including Sequential products like the Pro One), mostly based on the CEM chip technology that DSI had paid CoolAudio to reverse engineer. Smith was understandably not very happy with this, and started negotiations with Doug Curtis' widow to get OnChip to start manufacturing new CEM chips (and designing new ones based on the existing architecture).

After mining the classic Moog and ARP synths and having already done the Pro One, Behringer then announced he was working on to 'recreating' the CEM chips used in the Prophet 5 and Oberheim OB-Xa (Smith also makes the new Oberheim OB synth family, joint-designed with Tom Oberheim,) which prompted comments from Curtis' widow.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on October 05, 2020, 07:50:42 PM
This is a pretty comprehensive guide. No video but plenty of pics: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/DIY_How_to_Set_Up_a_Fender_Stratocaster?page=1

Depending on what kind of Strat you have you might need to adjust the truss rod at the heel of the neck (which is a bit of a pain as it involves loosening the neck) as opposed to at the headstock (which is much more convenient).
Quote from: NoSleep on October 05, 2020, 08:20:08 PM
There's an Italian guy on YouTube who's pretty good on Strat stuff. He seems pretty thorough from what I've watched so far.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FruduaTv/videos

Cheers guys will give these a look

Petey Pate

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 02, 2020, 10:30:38 AM
Has anyone here had any experience of using Arturia's recent Keystep Pro? It appears more intuitive than the likes of an MPC or Digitakt, as everything on it is clearly labelled, plus as a (shit) keyboard player, having an interface with actual keys is preferable to pads and buttons.

So I took the plunge and got one of these. The sole downside of it so far is that you can't use it to program change external synths (though you can assign MIDI CC parameters to 5 different knobs in it's 'control' mode), as you would be able to with a Digitakt or MPC. Fairly minor inconvenience but still a little frustrating. It's a lot of fun otherwise.

Spiteface

I have to admit, I'm resisting the temptation to stick a humbucker in the bridge position of my Jaguar like the Jag Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon used in Sonic Youth

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/eq/gtr34.html

I don't really use the bridge pickup alone on my Jag, sometimes I use both pickups at once though.

Maybe I should just get a nice set of single coils. The Creamery do the "Extra Width" set which is a little hotter and rounder-sounding. That might be what the bridge position needs on mine. It's a bit too thin by itself.

Ferris

You can get single-coil sized humbuckers which save you a bit of aggro installing? I remember the pickup mounts on my old jag were a pain in the arse though so maybe not.

Useless comment.

Spiteface

I have seen humbucker pickups specifically designed for Jaguars,claw and all:

https://www.sentellpickups.net/Jaguar.html

In all honesty, I think I should stick with single coils unless I buy a Jag with humbuckers as standard. I do like the "middle" position, and maybe a humbucker would ruin that, even if you split it.

Maybe Johnny Marr had the right idea with the pickups in series setting on his signature model, which Fender carried over the the American Professional Jaguars.

Ferris

Those look dead good!

Can someone explain to a dunce (me) what the difference between in phase/out of phase/series pickups are and how it works?

Spiteface

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 11, 2020, 04:02:29 PM
Those look dead good!

Can someone explain to a dunce (me) what the difference between in phase/out of phase/series pickups are and how it works?

Out-of-phase with pickups, are where certain frequencies cancel each other out, and what's left will lead to a thinner sound, that people like.

The in-between positions on a strat (i.e. Bridge & middle or neck & middle) are cited as an example of this. Another famous "out of phase" sound, is the middle setting on Peter Green's 1959 Les Paul (currently owned by Metallica's Kirk Hammett). A repair gone a bit wrong, resulting in a happy accident.

With series & parallel, I own a Fender Baja Tele, and there's switching on this that does the series/parallel thing as well as phasing.

On a Baja, both pickups, in Parallel, is the classic middle position tele tone everyone knows. Pickups in series, results in a output of combined impedance/output of the two pickups, resulting in a thicker, darker tone, almost humbucker-like. To me it sounds like a beefier version of the parallel version.

Brian May has this kind of stuff on his Red Special, as well.

Rizla

Quote from: Spiteface on October 11, 2020, 04:13:32 PM
Out-of-phase with pickups, are where certain frequencies cancel each other out, and what's left will lead to a thinner sound, that people like.

AKA racist-tone. As used by Clapton, Skynyrd et al.

Ferris

How do you like the baja telecaster? Was looking at one for a "quit my job" treat.

Would love to replace my mustang as well and I can't get back into buying hundreds of fucking guitars again.

Spiteface

The Baja is great. Does what I want a good tele to do. Mostly playing my Jaguar and Les Pauls at the moment, though.

They discontinued it recently, and the Vintera series is what replaced the classic player stuff the Baja was part of.

The current equivalent of the Baja is the Vintera 50s Modified or 60s Modified, as those are the ones that have the switching that used to be on the Baja (4-way switch for pickups in series, S-1 button for out of phase tones).

SteveDave

I borrowed one of those Mellotron Mel9 pedals off a rich friend and I've spent most of the time playing the intro to "Strawberry Fields Forever" over and over. I have done some other proper things for some new songs in lieu of figuring out how to get all the violin people I know to get together to record something in these unprecedented times.   

Spiteface

Finding myself wanting this:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/36049873-marshall-2525h-silver-jubilee-design-store-navy-blue

Considering my previous experience of the Marshall "Studio" line was the JCM800 version (the SC20H), this might be a bad idea. The JCM800, even on 5 watts, needed to be louder than I or my neighbours would be okay with to sound decent. I'm told the mini Jubilee is better at "Bedroom" volumes though. I do like the Marshall sound, having owned a DSL5C for a few years. But then I've also really got back into my Orange Tiny Terror as well.

Maybe I should get the combo version of the mini Jubilee and have that replace the DSL, that way I have that and I can keep the Orange on top. They don't do the combo in this colour scheme unless I were to custom order it from Marshall or get someone to re-cover it...

PlanktonSideburns

just finished moving house, so can get some gear out permanantley, got me guitar and bass amp tower  (some unknown hardwood GDR bass cab/PA speaker with a terrorbass head, some sort of home-made solidstate guitar combo)

and a pedal board of fuzz/metal distortion/overdrive - that behringer fuzzclone is an absolute monster on bass, and the devi-ever dream mangler is still my favourate instrument i own

Ferris

Love those behringer fuzz pedals. I used to tour with a pair of UZ400s in my pedalboard mainly to irritate sound engineers at venues.

Quote from: Spiteface on October 12, 2020, 05:20:37 PM
Finding myself wanting this:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/36049873-marshall-2525h-silver-jubilee-design-store-navy-blue

Considering my previous experience of the Marshall "Studio" line was the JCM800 version (the SC20H), this might be a bad idea. The JCM800, even on 5 watts, needed to be louder than I or my neighbours would be okay with to sound decent. I'm told the mini Jubilee is better at "Bedroom" volumes though. I do like the Marshall sound, having owned a DSL5C for a few years. But then I've also really got back into my Orange Tiny Terror as well.

Maybe I should get the combo version of the mini Jubilee and have that replace the DSL, that way I have that and I can keep the Orange on top. They don't do the combo in this colour scheme unless I were to custom order it from Marshall or get someone to re-cover it...

I have an original Marshall 2554 (the combo) and it's perfectly serviceable at a social volume at half power. Assuming the reissues are the same circuit of course.

SpiderChrist

I'd like one of these please. My Pearl Export was second hand when I bought it in 1986, so I'm probably due a replacement

SpiderChrist

Or one of these, if anyone has a spare 7 grand floating about the place

Spiteface

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on October 13, 2020, 07:48:41 PM
I have an original Marshall 2554 (the combo) and it's perfectly serviceable at a social volume at half power. Assuming the reissues are the same circuit of course.

From what I understand, the studio amps are essentially the same as their bigger ones, just with  scaled-down power section.

A lot of what I've read indicates the Jubilees work "better" at lower volumes, and the 800s are just 800s and still need to be turned up to sound the way people buy them for.

Here's someone demonstrating the combo at "bedroom" level. Lots of Guns n Roses roffs, because Slash uses Jubilees...

https://youtu.be/vonLptTIrWE

Spiteface

Changed my mind AGAIN, as I remembered the Victory Sheriff and how much I like what I heard of those amps. THEN, I remebered Victory make these:

https://www.victoryamps.com/v4-the-sheriff-pedal-preamp

A preamp in pedal format. They currently do 4, three of which are the same housing but based on different amps, in addition to the Marshall-flavoured Sheriff, they make versions of these based on the Jack (formerly the Countess, a high-gain, jack-of-all-trades amp) and the Kraken (A metal amp, designed with Rabea Massad), there's also one based on the Duchess, but that seems to be geared towards people who use their amp as a pedal platform.

Anyway, these can be used like regular distortion pedals, but the proper way to use them is a 4-cable setup using your amp's effects loop. So engaging the pedal means my amp's pre-amp is bypassed and I kind of have the tones of the Sheriff. Turn the pedal off, and I'm back to my amp's normal sound. Handy if you have a Fender with nice cleans but want the drive of a different kind of amp.

Part of me thought these may be a little redundant used with my Marshall DSL5C, but the DSLs seem to be more modern-sounding, whereas the Sheriff is very much in the classic Plexi/JCM800 vein. Cheaper than the grand even the lunchbox versions of these amps cost new (looking at around 350-400 quid). Plus, I get to keep the tones of my DSL5C.

Sherman Krank

Just bought my first new guitar in about a decade.

Fender Player FSR Plus Top Stratocaster in Blue Burst

Better pic from website and not my shite phone

This Fender Special Run Blue Burst is a Guitar Guitar exclusive and is currently £80 cheaper than the non-FSR Cherry Burst version for some reason.

The main reason I went for this Blue Burst finish is because I was originally looking to put a maple board neck on my Warmoth Swamp Ash Hardtail Strat but the price of second hand Fender MiM necks is silly just now (a lot of them are going for as much if not more than new ones).

The finish on the headstock of the warmoth neck is a good match for this Fender body so I'll likely do a neck swap at some point. I've also been eyeing up some drop in Hipshot staggered locking tuners and maybe a couple of solderless wiring harnesses with a blender mod (Master Vol & Tone for all 3 pickups with the second tone pot converted to blend in the neck or bridge pickup depending on where the selector switch is).

I also got myself a Boss Katana 50 amp and I've a bunch of those £20 Behringer clone pedals on the way (I would have bought more but for some reason Amazon is refusing to deliver some of them in the UK even though they're listed on Amazon UK in Sterling - my best guess is some kind of ongoing lawsuit by Roland or Ibanez).

Spiteface

Talking about my Baja Tele in here last week made me realise I hadn't touched it in ages - I've been mostly using my Edwards Les Paul or my Fender Jaguar if I wanted single coils. So on Monday, I restrung it and have got back into it all over again:

spaghetamine

Buying my first bass this friday off a bloke on gumtree, it's a black P-Bass and the guy is chucking in an amp and a bag for £80 - pretty excited as I've always really enjoyed the few times I've had a go on other people's, such a cool instrument

ArtParrott

I was quite taken by this Orville Les Paul Jr. I saw on reverb.com earlier this week - https://reverb.com/item/36245991-scarce-orville-japanese-les-paul-junior-tv-yellow-1991-japan-mij?show_sold=true - Now been sold.

Don't know much about Orville tbh but am very interested in buying a single pick-up guitar and I think the Les Paul and SG shapes suit a single pick-up with minimum controls really well.

There are those Fender Esquire's which are basically single pickup Telecasters but I think they look a bit odd and I'm pretty well covered for Fender shapes in my small collection anyway.

Is there anything else out there sporting a lone pickup for maximum just plug in and play-ability?

Sherman Krank

^ Gordon Smith GS1 is worth a look.

New the basic model is £799 but if you order direct you can spec just about everything.
https://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/shop/guitars/gs/

They don't hold their price as well the big US brands so you can generally pick up a bargain in the second hand market. (Currently going on ebay for around £350-500 mark).

Original owner John Smith retired a few years back and sold the company to Auden Guitars. I haven't played any auden built models but they seem to be carrying on where John left off.
I own a Smith era GS 1.5 thin body and it weighs next to nothing yet resonates like a hollow body. I've also played a few others in the past and was always impressed with them.

Basically they're LP Jr type guitars but with better build quality than Gibson for about half the price.

Ferris

I had one of those Gibson melody makers with two pickups and it was pretty obviously finished as cheaply as possible. Swapped it for my Jaguar which I liked a lot more.

ArtParrott

Quote from: Sherman Krank on October 30, 2020, 12:56:19 PM
^ Gordon Smith GS1 is worth a look.

Thanks, will add it to my Reverb feed now. I'm no Fender/Gibson purist, picked up a used Sire jazz bass earlier this year for a few hundred quid less than you could get a similar specced Fender for and it gets the job done.