Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:11:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beastie Boys - Last Ever Show (Bonaroo 2009) is up on YouTube

Started by Sebastian Cobb, September 27, 2020, 04:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oNDwGtL3cQ&feature=youtu.be

I didn't know this was happening but caught this tweet:

QuoteThe last gig..
We've heard from so many fans around the world that were unable to tune in last night, so our friends at @Bonnaroo
  are letting the set live online through the weekend.
Check it out here: https://youtu.be/0oNDwGtL3cQ

https://twitter.com/beastieboys/status/1309554057221087232

I'll fire up youtube-dl.

Their 1999 set in Glasgow for MTV is something I watch semi-regularly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJYfOGb3sKw

Glebe

Cheers for that SC. Saw them in Galway, would you believe, back in day.

Seedsy

Superb, I'll be all over this.
Seen them twice in Glasgow, 1999, and again in 2004.
Great gigs. They put on a show

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Seedsy on September 27, 2020, 08:14:29 PM
Seen them twice in Glasgow, 1999, and again in 2004.

That Glasgow show must've been phenomenal, I love it and all I've seen is a crappy vhs rip tapped off of satellite.

Seedsy

It was absolutely brilliant. The revolving stage, they were on top form. Played a great set. Career spanning. Even a couple of licenced to ill cuts. At that point I think they had all but disowned that record. Sure they played time to get ill. Fucking brilliant show, and the crowd was insane.

SpiderChrist

Saw 'em at The Brighton Centre on the Licenced to Ill tour (with Run DMC) and later at Brixton Academy for the Ill Communication tour (with DJ Hurricane and The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion). Fucking amazing live show (especially the Ill Comm one).

SpiderChrist

DrGreggles

Amazing night. I stayed sober too to take it all in.
If I ever make a top 5 gigs list, that's right up there.

Glebe

Argh, video has been made private and other uploads have been taken down. Was half way through it. Fucking great show, would loved to have been there. RIP MCA.

DrGreggles

Sebastian Cobb

I got youtube-dl on the go as well and can hit people up if needed.

Gutted that I haven't and never will see them with my own eyes.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Glebe on September 28, 2020, 06:15:26 PM
Argh, video has been made private and other uploads have been taken down. Was half way through it. Fucking great show, would loved to have been there. RIP MCA.

https://mega.nz/file/XzZTjIIS#uMycm-qlwZvA36gg9FI9Zqfx86SuRUyetwpAqSMEtvU

non capisco

The hallowed Brixton Academy 1995 show with Jon Spencer Blues Explosion supporting was my first ever gig with mates, discounting the time my dad took me to see the Brian May Band and a support act with a bloke dressed up as Napoleon. JSBX were fucking incredible given that we three little Kentish whelps didn't know a note of their music beforehand. Beastie Boys came out with instruments and did a couple of hardcore songs (one of which was almost definitely Time For Livin'. I hadn't heard 'Check Your Head' yet but I felt like I needed whatever song this was in my life to play over and over again STAT!) and then straight into Sure Shot and fucking hell I don't think I've ever fully recovered. That night right there engendered a lifelong love of the thrill of live music, those three rail thin cool nerds bouncing and squawking about while all around me people were thrashing their bodies around in joyous abandon. It was heady shit, man. At one point they did Egg Man and Slow And Low back to back, I remember that. Last song was inevitably Sabotage and the whole of Brixton Academy yelled the WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY along with Ad Rock. I bought a T-shirt with a polar bear on from the merch stall and a bootleg 'Get It Together' poster out the front which I blu-tacked to my bedroom door immediately after I got home. It caused my dad great amusement because Yauch was wearing a similar hat to the one my nan always wore. He really was, it was unfortunately undeniable. Wait until your nan finds out all the rappers are wearing her hat. Shut up, dad. You weren't there. They played Egg Man AND Egg Raid On Mojo.

I will love Beastie Boys til the day I die for that night. Touchpaper lit, precedent set, what else is out there?

Sebastian Cobb

^ this is an excellent post and fills me with joy. Similar to a guy I know who was on the sidelines of hip-hop in the uk enough to get backstage and see that Jurassic 5 seemed quite nervous and confused as to how they would be received in the UK due to the difference in culture and that just falling the second they went on stage and realised how much everyone wanted to see them. 

Joe Oakes

My Beastie Boys gig anecdote is rather underwhelming. Saw them in the mid-90s (Clapham Grand I think) and was more excited about the support acts - The Brotherhood and The Goats. Turned up late and missed The Brotherhood and most of The Goats, but the Beastie Boys were really good. I did warn you.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched this last night. I was expecting to enjoy it but it blew me away. The bit about half an hour in where Mike is dropping in new music behind their old rhymes sounds like it's been dubbed in a studio. I didn't realise there would be so much band stuff either, which they did with aplomb, there's full psych bits with Money Mark and they still looked full of life in the punk bits. They really did just keep on getting better didn't they?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 04, 2020, 02:18:56 PM
They really did just keep on getting better didn't they?

As live performers, you mean? I can't comment on that as such, but their records didn't keep getting better.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 04, 2020, 02:28:35 PM
As live performers, you mean? I can't comment on that as such, but their records didn't keep getting better.

I think they might've been less fun towards the end but skills wise they went from quite terrible guitar and basic drum machine raps to being musical polymaths.

The Mollusk

I guess it's a matter of opinion, in what stage of a band's career would be the "best". Personally I'd say they were at their most fruitful at the middle of their discography for Ill Communication and Hello Nasty, both of which I'd consider to be damn near perfect. Paul's Boutique is landmark stuff, (especially considering how starkly it contrasts with the first album) and I do think it's brilliant, but the rampant, freewheeling bombast of the two subsequent albums is them at their absolute peak. That stuff makes me grin like a lunatic, it's lightning in a bottle.

To The 5 Boroughs, by comparison, shows a definite lack of oomph. I do have the utmost respect for them throughout almost their entire career and they never fully allowed themselves to slow down in terms of creativity or stage performances, but as far as recorded material is concerned, there is certainly a decline across the final three albums in terms of fun. And when I listen to Beastie Boys, fun is exactly what I want.

Sebastian Cobb

I think that's a fair appraisal really. I think they were still pushing themselves forward towards the end, even if it didn't always work so well. I was just pleasantly surprised that in 2008 they were still able to put on a show of stuff spanning their careers and it still looked fresh rather than some old dudes going through the motions and doing a retrospective. Not many bands could get away with doing their 20 year old punk numbers from when they were kids as people who were almost 50 and look like they're still meaning it, rather than it being a nod to a different chapter of their existence.

Seedsy

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 04, 2020, 03:02:43 PM
I guess it's a matter of opinion, in what stage of a band's career would be the "best". Personally I'd say they were at their most fruitful at the middle of their discography for Ill Communication and Hello Nasty, both of which I'd consider to be damn near perfect. Paul's Boutique is landmark stuff, (especially considering how starkly it contrasts with the first album) and I do think it's brilliant, but the rampant, freewheeling bombast of the two subsequent albums is them at their absolute peak. That stuff makes me grin like a lunatic, it's lightning in a bottle.

To The 5 Boroughs, by comparison, shows a definite lack of oomph. I do have the utmost respect for them throughout almost their entire career and they never fully allowed themselves to slow down in terms of creativity or stage performances, but as far as recorded material is concerned, there is certainly a decline across the final three albums in terms of fun. And when I listen to Beastie Boys, fun is exactly what I want.

Can't disagree with any of this. Their 1992-94 check your head/ ill communication period, they were just too fucking cool for skool, they looked amazing, they sounded amazing.
I think the run of albums of Paul's boutique, check your head and ill communication is something to behold
Hello nasty isn't too shabby either, but could probably be doing with some pruning

magval

Sebastian Cobb

I think I might over-rate Hello Nasty because I'm the age where that can be considered their 'new one'. I had a copy of it on minidisc and listened to it a lot.

magval

I took my time with the Beastie Boys. I loved Ill Communication from age 14-31 or so before it even occurred to me to listen to the rest. I started with Paul's Boutique and I had exactly the same reaction to it as Chris Rock describes, where I was baffled and put off at first at then one day it just clicked, and I spent about two months listening to basically nothing else. I feel like I've taken it into me, it's of that musical part of whatever the soul is. I feel that kinship with people who love it, and I snarl internally at those who don't, involuntarily. I cannot think about it objectively.

I gave Licensed to Ill a go but could tell quickly enough it just wasn't for me. I'm not really interested in it either as an 'in-character' album or on its own musical merit, which is quite bare. It's a shame because so much of their recent retrospective output (Book, Story and the many podcasts and interviews relating to both) spend so much time on it when it's easily the absolutely least most interesting part of their catalogue.

Check Your Head was really easy to get into so I spent a good long while on that when I eventually got a copy. Then, when I moved onto Hello Nasty, it just stopped me dead.

I can't say exactly why but I think it's because of two things. It's been discussed on CAB before but the formula of 'rhyme rhyme rhyme rhyme rhyme rhyme RHYME' is far too common on the album not to stick out like a sore thumb, and there's maybe a wee bit TOO much going on, so it feels experimental at the listeners' expense. I honestly skip that Lee Perry song every time it comes on. I don't know half the song titles but it has settled into the spot of perfectly acceptable background listen for me. I can't not mention "I Don't Know", though. One of the sweetest sounding things I've ever heard. The instrumentals are gas on this album as well. "Intergalactic" is one of the most instantly satisfying songs of all time.

Hitting that roadblack put me off pursuit for the best part of a year. It had been a spring/summer thing anyway and coming into a really shit October was no time to be trying to crack Hello Nasty, so I left it. I actually moved house before I got back on the wagon and bought the last three albums.

5 Boroughs is really easy to listen to, it's a great album when it's playing and has one of the best opening tracks ever, but it doesn't make enough of an impression where bits pop into your head the same way the Boutique/Head/Communication trio do. Mike D's weird fucked up quivering rapping on it is a highlight though (think about the way he says "gliding in the glades" on "Check it Out", as is Ad Rock's weirdly presentational style on Crawl Space ("I been in your bathroom often". I'd rather it didn't have the mention of George Bush though, as is pointed out in the book - Beasties were always about positivity and letting those real world negative politics into their world seems like a misstep now.

I absolutely love Hot Sauce 2 though, I think it's as good as a band who'd made albums as good as they had, 20 years earlier, could ever manage. The Mix-Up is lovely as well, almost like something tailor made for me.

I bought Anthology the other day to have a leaf through the liner notes and listening to it now, it's amazing the breadth of their career/sounds, and how jarring those Rick Rubin songs sound. They suck, speaking plainly (Fight for your Right excepted - no issue with that one. It's undeniable).

Spike Jonze's photo book that came out at the start of lockdown is really nice too, for anyone who likes that artifact-y side of things.

The Mollusk

Rick Rubin's never come off particularly well in my eyes, and hearing about his general dickhead behaviour - at the time seemingly focused more on whittling quick hits out of Beastie Boys than giving a shit about their future - has done him no favours. Fair enough, they were leaning quite heavily on the frat party lads image and so he can't be blamed entirely for taking that stance with the direction he was trying to push them, but he was undeniably a prick about it and I don't think, even in their goofy, primordial form, a group brazenly fronting on a scene as thrilling and burgeoning as hip hop in the '80s should have been treated like that. Relatively speaking, it's a miracle that any sort of decent second album materialised at all, let alone one as remarkable as Paul's Boutique, and it's a fucking proud demonstration of the tenacity of those three young men that it did.