Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying to dismantle/clean a stupid bastard Magic Bullet

Started by The Mollusk, September 28, 2020, 06:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Making a cake today and the fucking lid came off the bastard container and the cake mix liquid went absolutely everywhere. For some stupid reason there are absolutely no instructions anywhere on how to clean the vent/exhaust bit at the back (below photo) and so I concluded I would have to take it apart, since there's no way to do it from the outside without pushing the liquid further in.

On every single instructional video or website I've checked, the Magic Bullet has a single screw in the centre of the underside of the base which is the first step to taking it apart. Mine does not (see red circled area). What the fuck? The only screws I can see are inside the thing (see yellow circled areas) which cannot be reached.

There are three other screws on the top interior area, underneath the rubber plugs, which I've removed (below photo) but even then you can't lift the plate out because it's connected to the internal wiring, so it only lifts about an inch before snagging. You can see in the photo the cake mix got down the very slim gap around the plate as well so I really do need to take this stupid thing apart to clean it.

This is a really shitty design flaw on an appliance which honestly was not really worth writing home about to begin with. Short of throwing it into a wood chipper or smashing baby Hitler's brains in with it, I'm not really sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Try prying one of the rubber feet up. The screws might be underneath. Or they might not be.

touchingcloth

Sebastian Cobb

I can't offer any advice more than claude has.

But I feel your pain because I had to dismantle my spice grinder a while back because the microswitch was gassed. It used stupid tri-wing screws like you got on the back of a gameboy. I tried to clean the switch to no avail, so I temporarily bridged it, but the switch also served as the interlock to make sure the lid was on, so it's basically a bit dangerous and you could pull the lid off and it'd cover your kitchen in cumin and corriander.

The spare part has actually arrived but I've not yet done anything about it.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

buzby

As mentioned by Claude and Seb, the 4 screws that hold the base on are under the 4 rubber feet. The slot in the centre of the base under the label was just an access hole so you can use a flat bladed screwdriver to hold the motor shaft to remove the blade drive boss at the top end of the shaft. Removing that access hole from the baseplate just means you have to take the baseplate off to get access to the motor shaft first.

The full disassembly instructiions for what appear to be your model are here:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+Bullet+Teardown/23187
Note that you you don't need to remove the blade drive boss to disassemble it, only if it needs to be replaced, so you can skip steps 2 and 3. The 4 screws holding on the base plate, 3 screws attaching the base to the body, 3 screws attaching the top plate to the body (which you you have already removed) and possibly the fan on the bottom of the shaft (though you might be able to manouvre that through the hole in the bottom of the body, it's hard to tell from the pictures) are all that needs to be removed to get the motor out.

The Mollusk

Nice! I had my suspicions that the screws might be under the rubber feet but they're really fiddly and there's very little purchase to be had on trying to pull them out, so I assumed I'd end up fruitlessly jamming a wee proboscis in to pry them out and damaging them for no reason. Why they're in such a difficult location and not readily accessible by eye I have no idea. Seems really daft to design it that way when an accident like this is very probable.

Gonna have a crack at it this arvo, will report back. Cheers for the help, I was quite unnecessarily wound up about this yesterday. The cake still turned out lovely though! It was chocolate and coconut.

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 29, 2020, 09:17:58 AM
they're really fiddly and there's very little purchase to be had on trying to pull them out, so I assumed I'd end up fruitlessly jamming a wee proboscis in to pry them out and damaging them for no reason. Why they're in such a difficult location and not readily accessible by eye I have no idea. Seems really daft to design it that way when an accident like this is very probable.
Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on September 29, 2020, 05:05:57 AM
That is a weird looking sex toy.

Replies From View

I think the idea with these is you are meant to just throw them away and buy a new one.

Ideally between every single cake.

(Hope this helps)

Hand Solo

Dismantle the magic bullet, can't Jim Garrison help?