Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:04:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

That band IDLES are still shit, then

Started by The Mollusk, September 28, 2020, 06:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Model ONLY model GAY model IN THE VILLAGE

As a casual listener to R6 music only when I'm driving, I never realised the name of the band who are responsible for that piece of aural excrement "Village" or whatever the fuck it's called. I'm going to send an email to Mary Ann Hobbs and tell her to stop having such a dull horrible voice so people who are driving can hear the names of bands after a song they hate has been played. I do realise that this will be tricky for her at the age of nearly 60 but everyone will benefit ie less people crashing their cars after falling asleep listening to her drone.

Chriddof

All I can say is that if Idles, Fat White Family and Sleaford Mods represent the best of politically switched on indie, then maybe indie should be thrown into a furnace.

Also, that fucking FWF quote:

Quotethe last thing our increasingly puritanical culture needs right now is a bunch of self-neutering middle-class boobs telling us to be nice to immigrants; you might call that art, I call it sententious pedantry

I don't call that art - instead I call it basic human respect, you little streak of lank-haired piss.

good times

I wasn't aware of the Sleaford Mods vs. IDLES beef until recently, seems yer man Jason took issue with the IDLES guy using the word "Tarquin" in a song even though he's middle class, as though he was trying to hoodwink the audience.

Maybe so, but even if he was working class/didn't have that lyric the song would still be fucking dog dirt.

TBH I find the lines about Trevor Nelson/Mary Berry in the same song weirder. I get the (rubbish) idea is that "EVEN <insert boring celebrity> HAS A JOB" but why pick those two people specifically?

It's a bit rich as well considering the same people wanking over IDLES were the same lot of tasteless boring twats who were lauding Sleaford Mods as the voices of a generation about 2 years ago, despite them having two songs (and one of them is about poo poo or something)

Pauline Walnuts

IDLES' 'Mr. Motivator' got the 2020 top spot in the 'spiritual heir' to the John Peel Festive 50 at https://www.dandelionradio.com/festive50.htm

Junket Pumper

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on January 02, 2021, 12:28:02 PM
IDLES' 'Mr. Motivator' got the 2020 top spot in the 'spiritual heir' to the John Peel Festive 50 at https://www.dandelionradio.com/festive50.htm

Idles are a bit like Ricky Gervais in that they're utterly shite yet they're adored by many people who should know better

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 02, 2020, 09:16:27 AM
Mate you know who directed it? Michel fucking Gondry. The dude who made the incredible videos for Fell in Love With a Girl, Star Guitar and Cibo Matto's Sugar Water churned out this elitist piss where, in the first 30 seconds, a pregnant trophy woman with a pig snout robotically churns a baby out of a car exhaust. It's embarrassing.

Look what Idles made Michel Gondry phone in. Yes, that's how I'll rationalise it.

I can't decide which is more infuriating: this or hearing that people are comparing Idles to The Jesus Lizard.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Chriddof on October 15, 2020, 08:08:16 AM
All I can say is that if Idles, Fat White Family and Sleaford Mods represent the best of politically switched on indie, then maybe indie should be thrown into a furnace.

I don't get lumping Sleaford Mods with the other two. Williamson is clearly a better lyricist with far worthier targets for his ire.

Quote from: good times on October 15, 2020, 06:05:51 PM
It's a bit rich as well considering the same people wanking over IDLES were the same lot of tasteless boring twats who were lauding Sleaford Mods as the voices of a generation about 2 years ago, despite them having two songs (and one of them is about poo poo or something)

Is it the same people, though? That's not my experience. What you mean is you've heard two songs by them.

Cuellar

Johnny Yesno

Funnily enough, I just heard a track by a band called LICE, who apparently spent some time supporting Idles and Fat White Family on tour.

Apparently, they've changed their sound recently and I'd say comparisons to The Jesus Lizard would be warranted. They certainly have the rhythmic chops and odd tonalities that are missing from Idles's music.

'R.D.C.' (Official Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atSUNtogGKQ&list=RDatSUNtogGKQ

LICE - Live at Longreel (Full Set): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzKphZRpSPc

good times

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 06, 2021, 02:03:10 AM
I don't get lumping Sleaford Mods with the other two. Williamson is clearly a better lyricist with far worthier targets for his ire.

Is it the same people, though? That's not my experience. What you mean is you've heard two songs by them.

I've heard plenty, though I'm most familiar with Austerity Dogs through to Key Markets. I got a bit bored of them after that.

I also saw them live around the time of Key Markets, I think that might have been the start of me losing interest to be honest.

They're very different bands, but I think both appeal to boring 6music DJs who see them as edgy as fuck. Which I don't think either are.

The 'two songs' comment - yeah it's an overstatement but they're hardly the most musically interesting or diverse, and I don't think they have as much lyrically to say about the world as people seem to think they do.

Marner and Me

Some how this shower of bastards have got onto the NHL 21 sound track with the god awful 'song' Mr Motivator

I am I and I intend to go, go, go
Like Connor McGregor with a samurai sword on rollerblades
Like Vasyl Lomachenko after four pints of Gatorade
Like Kathleen Hanna with bear claws grabbing Trump by the pussy
Like Delia Smith after ten Chardonnays making me a nice cookie
How d'you like them cliches?
Let's seize the day
All hold hands, chase the pricks away
Let's seize the day
You can do it
You can do it
Yes you can
Woo-hoo!
I am I and I intend to go, go, go
Like Frida Kahlo painting of the poor on your fuck off wall
Like Tracey Emin in her unmade bed listening to The Fall
Like Flava Flav in the club riding on the back of John Wayne
Like David Attenborough clubbing seal clubbers with LeBron James
How'd you like them cliches?
Let's seize the day
Let's seize the day
You can do it
You can do it
You can do it
Woo!
It's all about the confidence
You're Joe Cal-fucking-zaghe
Let's seize the day
Let's seize the day
You can do it
You can do it

Are these even cliches? And do I like them? Do I fuck

Fuck off, just the sound of them, they sound like something that they would listen to in American History X (the band Idles portray a different message) They're shit fuck off, don't poison my ears again, give me George Ezra or, Adele, fucking S Club 7 over this. Piss off

Norton Canes

I am absolutely loving this thread, please don't let it ever stop.

Sean Ymphs

Quote from: Marner and Me on January 10, 2021, 05:00:57 PM

Like Frida Kahlo painting of the poor on your fuck off wall
Like Flava Flav in the club riding on the back of John Wayne
Like David Attenborough clubbing seal clubbers with LeBron James

These things you'll find
Constantly irritate our minds

non capisco

QuoteLike Frida Kahlo painting of the poor on your fuck off wall

jobotic

Ay Caramba!

Is that Idles or Sleaford Mods?

non capisco

It's Idles. Staggeringly piss poor. I'm amazed so many of my friends like them and get annoyed with me when I think they must be joking. I swear it's like a "muffet of tea" Limmy's Show thing.

boki

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: good times on January 10, 2021, 04:40:07 PM
I've heard plenty, though I'm most familiar with Austerity Dogs through to Key Markets. I got a bit bored of them after that.

I also saw them live around the time of Key Markets, I think that might have been the start of me losing interest to be honest.

Ah, fair enough. I was a bit disappointed with English Tapas and haven't really followed them since then. I saw them in 2015 and they were excellent. Couple of tracks from the gig here:

Middle Men: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mf691ErBVQ

Bunch of Cunts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsYJXt-8Q28

QuoteThey're very different bands, but I think both appeal to boring 6music DJs who see them as edgy as fuck. Which I don't think either are.

Quote from: Sleaford Mods - Bored to be Wild6Music. 6 what? 6 ways to put people off.

Sure, they're not what boring 6Music DJs make them out to be but why would we take any notice of them? It's not the edginess that makes SM but the humanity at the back of it.

QuoteThe 'two songs' comment - yeah it's an overstatement but they're hardly the most musically interesting or diverse, and I don't think they have as much lyrically to say about the world as people seem to think they do.

For every great track, there's a clunker, but from what I've heard so far, that still puts them in a different league to Idles. I've not heard anything by Idles that I'm bothered about hearing again.

good times

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 10, 2021, 08:37:44 PM
Ah, fair enough. I was a bit disappointed with English Tapas and haven't really followed them since then. I saw them in 2015 and they were excellent. Couple of tracks from the gig here:

Middle Men: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mf691ErBVQ

Bunch of Cunts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsYJXt-8Q28

Sure, they're not what boring 6Music DJs make them out to be but why would we take any notice of them? It's not the edginess that makes SM but the humanity at the back of it.

For every great track, there's a clunker, but from what I've heard so far, that still puts them in a different league to Idles. I've not heard anything by Idles that I'm bothered about hearing again.

Yeah I think to be fair I'm letting factors outside of SM influence my recent opinion of them which is fairly childish

Totally agree they're in a different league to Idles, in that I quite like SM whereas Idles are unlistenable

I'll give those newer tracks a listen, thanks for the recommendation!

JaDanketies

Tbh I quite like Idles. I get Idles vibes from this KennyHoopla track "How can I rest in peace when I'm buried by a highway?" except for it's not about politics but emotions.

Kankurette

I know I'm possibly risking the wrath of Barry as this thread is 2 months old, but by Christ Model Village is shit. If I didn't know better I'd think it was a parody.

Also it's 'ne me touche pas'.

The Mollusk

I didn't know Jehnny Beth was the singer of Savages and was quite shocked when I realised it was her. I don't know if her solo stuff is much cop but her feature on that IDLES song is really a far cry from the shit-hot excellence of those two Savages records.

danwho9

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 29, 2021, 11:15:04 AM
I didn't know Jehnny Beth was the singer of Savages and was quite shocked when I realised it was her. I don't know if her solo stuff is much cop but her feature on that IDLES song is really a far cry from the shit-hot excellence of those two Savages records.
The only thing I really remember her for was last year watching her performance at the BBC Music festival or something on TV and seeing her perform her solo song 'I'm The Man'. She 'stage dived' into the audience around halfway through the song and there was this awkward looking boomer couple at the very front of the stage who looked liked they wished they were anywhere else.

idunnosomename

i both enjoy and dislike this thread for reminding me of the existence of this terrible band. Model Village is one of the worst videos/songs I've ever witnessed but it's also instantly forgettable. not like, you know, Papa Roach or Linkin Park.

Norton Canes

It's my favourite Oscillations thread ever, please feel free to resurrect it any time (sorry Barry)

The Mollusk

When I die I'd like to think this (and my Toxic Avenger parody song) is my legacy contribution to the board.

danwho9

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 29, 2021, 01:31:14 PM
It's my favourite Oscillations thread ever, please feel free to resurrect it any time (sorry Barry)
I'm gratified that it's possible to be leftist and take the piss out of them to no end.

Kankurette

danwho9

Quote from: Marner and Me on January 10, 2021, 05:00:57 PM

Are these even cliches? And do I like them? Do I fuck

Fuck off, just the sound of them, they sound like something that they would listen to in American History X (the band Idles portray a different message) They're shit fuck off, don't poison my ears again, give me George Ezra or, Adele, fucking S Club 7 over this. Piss off

God I still can't believe that's a REAL SONG