Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

That band IDLES are still shit, then

Started by The Mollusk, September 28, 2020, 06:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwho9

I'd like to think Nigel Blackwell will find a good way to take the piss out of them in a similar vein to this thread on the next HMHB album.

Kankurette

I would love to hear that.

I wondered why Bob Vylan was mad at IDLES and one reason was because they took ages to say something about BLM. As Bob said, David Guetta not putting out a statement is one thing but when IDLES' entire shtik is being left-wing, you'd expect them to comment on it.

Also, WTF is bad about being nice to immigrants?

jobotic

You'll enjoy this. Sorry on my shitty phone so not cut and pasting

https://www.hotpress.com/music/idles-our-popularity-is-bigger-and-people-like-to-fucking-stomp-on-that-22829565

A level of unearned self regard that would make Kasabian blush.

phantom_power

I think they suffer a bit from being the only left wing voices doing political stuff in the popular 6music indie sphere. If they were the Sham 69 to a better band's Clash with a Billy Bragg around as well then I think people would be less hard on them but as there is so little protest music at the moment they have to be all things to all people

good times

Quote from: Marner and Me on January 10, 2021, 05:00:57 PM
Some how this shower of bastards have got onto the NHL 21 sound track with the god awful 'song' Mr Motivator

I am I and I intend to go, go, go
Like Connor McGregor with a samurai sword on rollerblades
Like Vasyl Lomachenko after four pints of Gatorade
Like Kathleen Hanna with bear claws grabbing Trump by the pussy
Like Delia Smith after ten Chardonnays making me a nice cookie
How d'you like them cliches?
Let's seize the day
All hold hands, chase the pricks away
Let's seize the day
You can do it
You can do it
Yes you can
Woo-hoo!
I am I and I intend to go, go, go
Like Frida Kahlo painting of the poor on your fuck off wall
Like Tracey Emin in her unmade bed listening to The Fall
Like Flava Flav in the club riding on the back of John Wayne
Like David Attenborough clubbing seal clubbers with LeBron James
How'd you like them cliches?
Let's seize the day
Let's seize the day
You can do it
You can do it
You can do it
Woo!
It's all about the confidence
You're Joe Cal-fucking-zaghe
Let's seize the day
Let's seize the day
You can do it
You can do it

Are these even cliches? And do I like them? Do I fuck

Fuck off, just the sound of them, they sound like something that they would listen to in American History X (the band Idles portray a different message) They're shit fuck off, don't poison my ears again, give me George Ezra or, Adele, fucking S Club 7 over this. Piss off

Astonished upon googling those lyrics that they turn out to be a real song.

Can't stand their random references to celebrities to add some colour to their meaningless lyrics, this one takes that strategy to breaking point.

Kankurette

None of that makes any fucking sense. Why would LeBron James club seal clubbers?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Kankurette on March 31, 2021, 11:45:33 AM
None of that makes any fucking sense. Why would LeBron James club seal clubbers?

Because he's a black hero and if you think he wouldn't club seal clubbers then that makes you a racist. Please try to keep up with their humble genius craftsmanship.

non capisco

I came home from my business job the other day in my suit and tie and to my dismay someone had broken in and painted of the poor all over my fuck off wall!

non capisco

No image better expresses a battle cry for egalitarianism than a shitfaced Delia Smith baking some bloke a biscuit, does it?

good times

Quote from: Kankurette on March 31, 2021, 11:45:33 AM

Because Joe fucking Calzaghe mate

Kankurette

Quote from: non capisco on March 31, 2021, 01:20:47 PM
No image better expresses a battle cry for egalitarianism than a shitfaced Delia Smith baking some bloke a biscuit, does it?
"I'm totes a feminist, yeah? I respect women an' that. Now make me a cookie, love."

ETA: the confused little girl at the beginning looks like me when I was a toddler. That's the only good thing I have to say about this bilge.

idunnosomename

Quote"It's like what Wagner did, when he considered the size of the room he was playing in, and realised that the orchestra all playing different things at the same time was creating noise – whereas if they all played the same thing at the same time, it created a huge ball of sound. So that's what we did too.
"like" acting like fucking Atlas there mate

PlanktonSideburns

Is that from an interview? They talk some amazing shite in interviews

Read one where they said one of their songs was like a trap song

Went and listened to it and it sounded just like all their other stuff, like a jesus lizard impression by someone not paying attention

idunnosomename

it's from the tremendous Hot Press puff piece up page

willbo

I bought Idle's second album on impulse not hearing any of their music before. Based on their artwork, song titles and reviews, I thought it was gonna be some fascinating post punk, like a new Joy division or Fall. Round near me in the late 90s there used to be a lot of retro "oi" type punks playing live. Idles reminds me of that a lot. Don't hate it but can't imagine running to put it on

Pauline Walnuts

Good news everybody, they're re-releasing Model Village with none other than Slowthai!

https://www.idlesband.com/product/model-village-7-vinyl/

PlanktonSideburns

The fuck is going on with the kerning on the banner text there?

Is that punk is it?

(picks up coat and handbag, makes for door)

Norton Canes

Ah nice, my son went to see slowthai a couple of years ago, it was his first gig and he had the best time ever. But then he was only 16, what did he know about pop music?!

non capisco

If I was ever in the crowd at a performance by IDLES I would be genuinely pissed off that they didn't play 'Toxic Avenger'.

good times

Was that the split single with Cotswold Commuter?

The Mollusk

turnstyle

Quote from: non capisco on July 20, 2021, 11:35:21 PM
If I was ever in the crowd at a performance by IDLES I would be genuinely pissed off that they didn't play 'Toxic Avenger'.

The only 'Idles' song I can genuinely remember. Lovely stuff.

The Mollusk

It is their best song by a country mile, pretty sure they always encore with it.

imitationleather

Recently I read a book about feminism that was pretty decent and was making me think about my own approach to masculinity and gender in ways I hadn't before, but then in the last chapter it started going on about Idles really positively and so I had to throw it in the bin (which was annoying because it was on a Kindle, and I can't afford to buy another one) and I hate women now.

willbo

I hate myself now. I read their encouraging, pro self esteem lyrics in the booklet that came with the "Joy..." cd. They really lifted me up and made me realise I could like myself. Then I heard the darn thing. Confidence destroyed, in pieces in the bin (along with the disc).

Kankurette

To whichever one of you mentioned Broadcast upthread, thank you. I got curious, so I'm listening to Tender Buttons. Not the sort of thing I usually listen to but I'm always happy to try new things. Trish Keenan (RIP) has a lovely soothing voice, not like that dild from IDLES.

non capisco

I'm jealous of anyone checking out Broadcast for the first time. All their other albums are mint too, Kankurette.

Kankurette

chveik

everything really. their discography is pretty short, sadly. don't forget to listen to the EPs/compilations

non capisco

They're honestly all solid and there's sadly not too many of them but 'The Noise Made By People' would be a nice, slightly lusher sounding contrast to 'Tender Buttons' as a jumping off point. Contains 'Come On Let's Go', I don't care how basic a choice that is amongst Broadcast fans, probably like saying your favourite Prince song is 'Purple Rain', but fuck it that's my favourite Broadcast song.

Also definitely check out the joint album they did with The Focus Group, it is hauntological as fuck, bebbeh!