Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 750
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:56:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Supertramp

Started by Bobby Ralgex, September 28, 2020, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Ralgex

Any fans of this band here? Maybe not, they're highly unfashionable.

But Crime Of The Century is bloody marvellous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYP7RpZqAs8

peanutbutter

Unfashionable? Feel like they were totally reappraised absolutely ages ago, Maybe back when magnolia came out over 20 years ago

Mobius

I really like Supertramp, listen to them quite often. Admittedly I mostly love the classic songs people already know (Goodbye Stranger, Breakfast in America, The Logical Song, Take The Long Way Home, etc..)

I thought they were American for a long time, probably the song names...

Head Gardener

yep, CotC is one of the best albums of the 70's no doubt about it

Pete23

Absolutely love "Paris" and listen to "Brother Where You Bound?" quite a lot, but never really listened to the other albums much (probably because the live versions of "the hits" are better on Paris IMHO).

sutin

I enjoy the singles. It's Raining Today is nice.

itsfredtitmus

Got into them because of Gorillaz & Jellyfish
They're alright

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bobby Ralgex on September 28, 2020, 09:43:22 PM
Any fans of this band here? Maybe not, they're highly unfashionable.

But Crime Of The Century is bloody marvellous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYP7RpZqAs8

That was on my local classic rock radio station this morning, pretty decent.

MortSahlFan

My 3rd favorite band ever.. Most underrated band ever.

Check out all their albums from 1970 to 1982.. Their singles are hit or miss. Miss on their first and last ones.

"Crime of the Century" is a masterpiece, but equally is good was the follow-up, "Crisis? What Crisis?"

Two lead singers, so there is diversity, especially from each album (more standard prog).. "Words Unspoken" is a song that is slept on, but when recommended, everyone seems to love it.

wosl

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 01, 2020, 11:18:33 AM
Most underrated band ever.

How so, or in what way? They had a walloping great helping of commercial success, hits, made it in the US, garnered, I imagine, decent acreage of critical approval from certain quarters, had a long and satisfying career.  I can believe that some will have formed a blurry, received picture of them through not being well-acquainted with their albums, but I can't see how they can qualify as (most) underrated (ever). Sometimes you'll see the biggest bands, who've have shifted crazy units and received the most grovelling and long-winded praise, being called 'underrated' (I haven't looked, but I bet somewhere amongst the YT comments, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac have been described that way).  I think when people say underrated, a lot of the time they mean mischaracterised.

wosl

I know you're mainly indulging in a bit of deliberately over-the-top fan gushing to give an indication of your affection for ST, but a kernel of something truly felt must drive those sorts of claims. (This is something for another thread; sorry about the derail).

Custard

It's sad they were coated down on the  Chart Music podcast, as they are a fantastic singles band. So many tunes

rue the polywhirl

My love for them extends from Breakfast In America to Breakfast In America. I really don't like either of the main guys singing though. Consider me not that much of a strong fan.

Glebe

Not too au fait with 'em, but 'The Logical Song', 'Give a Little Bit' and 'It's Raining Again' are belters.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: wosl on November 01, 2020, 12:46:54 PM
How so, or in what way? They had a walloping great helping of commercial success, hits, made it in the US, garnered, I imagine, decent acreage of critical approval from certain quarters, had a long and satisfying career.  I can believe that some will have formed a blurry, received picture of them through not being well-acquainted with their albums, but I can't see how they can qualify as (most) underrated (ever). Sometimes you'll see the biggest bands, who've have shifted crazy units and received the most grovelling and long-winded praise, being called 'underrated' (I haven't looked, but I bet somewhere amongst the YT comments, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac have been described that way).  I think when people say underrated, a lot of the time they mean mischaracterised.

Pink Floyd is not underrated.

But about Supertramp, although they had a lot of commercial success back in the day, it seems they have been ignored today, despite MANY bands from the 60/70s still receiving attention with praise, interviews, documentaries, movies, social media, traditional media..

I think a part of it was they never trashed hotel rooms, groupies all over the hotels, no drug problems, no headline material for the press, etc..

SpiderChrist

The Logical Song works really well when you're off yer swede on MDMA and the sun's coming up.

wosl

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 02, 2020, 02:22:05 PMI think a part of it was they never trashed hotel rooms, groupies all over the hotels, no drug problems, no headline material for the press, etc..

Didn't Roger Hodgson once admit to going "crackers"* in hotel pool?

*by going for a swim with his dungarees and Clarks Polyveldts on, instead of changing into trunks

The Culture Bunker

I picked up a 2CD compilation of theirs years ago, which was enough. The six tracks from 'Breakfast in America' were all enjoyable, along with a handful of other songs (the famous ones, I guess) but the rest didn't really do much for me. But then I've never liked much of that 70s rock sound, and the BiA songs are far more pop, hence me liking them, presumably. I agree it is strange that a band who sold that many records don't get talked about much these days - presumably the split between the two frontmen has some part of it, in that there's never been a big reunion to give their legacy a huge promotion push.

TheMonk

Saw Roger Hodgson live. Those songs were good. Classic "The Hits Are All You Need" band.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: TheMonk on November 03, 2020, 02:41:40 AM
Saw Roger Hodgson live. Those songs were good. Classic "The Hits Are All You Need" band.

I saw him three times (early 2010's) and his band was great, and I usually have complaints about the drummer, but he was faithful to the songs.

Mostly a "Greatest Hits" show, but he did play "Death and a Zoo", which was a newer solo song. I would have preferred something off his first solo album, but I was most surprised by how amazing he has kept up his voice.. The notes he hit in the 70s must have been tough, and now doing it in his 70s, amazing.. Bravo, Roger.

Btw, there is a fairly new clip of Rick and the Rockets (and interview). I remember hearing about Rick getting multiple myeloma years ago, and he's still kicking, despite the 10% survival rate.

Chollis

anyone that doesn't buzz off the guitar in Gooodbye Stranger is dead inside

https://youtu.be/u8pVZ5hTGJQ?t=269