Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:51:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deerhoof - Love-Lore (insanely good covers/medley project)

Started by The Mollusk, September 29, 2020, 03:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Deerhoof as a collective are some of the most ambitious, intelligent and vastly talented musicians fronting as a super fun rock 4-piece, and if you need any instantly gratifying proof, you need look no further than their latest release, which came out yesterday.

To put it as succinctly as possible: Love-Lore is based around the concept of the futurism which was born in the 1950s, the magical miracles that capitalism could bring to the world, and how that dream steadily either blossomed and/or grew discontentment or alienation in the decades that followed.

This album collects all sorts of music in that vein from those parameters of time. In here, we've got Silver Apples, Karlheinz Stockhausen, The B52s, Sun Ra, Parliament, Ornette Coleman, Kraftwerk, John Williams, Eddie Grant and so fucking much more. There's nearly 30 songs covered in here, all merged together in a brilliant and inventively structured medley. Some tracks like The Velvet Underground's All Tomorrow's Parties have extended coverage, whereas others like Gary Numan's Cars blast in for only a few seconds. And all the while, it flows incredibly together and despite the sum of its parts, it never strays from sounding exactly like a Deerhoof performance.

This project is so gloriously formidable and well-executed and it transcends the very notion of just being a "covers album". It's fucking nuts. They're one of the greatest bands on the goddamn planet and they're riding another career high with this and their most recent album proper from earlier in the year. Superb stuff.

Go listen to 34 minutes of brilliant backwards-glancing forward-thinking music right here right now:

https://deerhoof.bandcamp.com/album/love-lore

chveik

yep I enjoyed it, very fun to try to recognize some of the music 'covered' here

The Mollusk

Worth noting also that this was recorded in a single afternoon over a couple of hours in a cheap studio for around 200 dollars, which makes it all the more special. It was a commissioned festival piece which they performed live the day before. I have no idea how the fuck they do it.

Brundle-Fly

That's a real anarchic spirit of fellow San Franciscan's The Residents going on there. Always have time for a bit of Deerhoof. Thanks.

selectivememory

Dirty Boy

They don't rest, this lot!

Considering the high album turnover, they are ridiculously consistent too. I think Mountain Moves is the only vaguely half-arsed one of theirs i've listened to, the others are pretty much gold right through.

Deerhoof covers Sun Ra? Fucking Nora.

The Mollusk

The Raymond Scott cover near the start with Satomi robotically reciting the weird futuristic slogans properly set the tone for me. I adore Scott's work. I can tell this thing is gonna be highly rewarding in repeat listens, but then I've often thought that about most of their albums.

Gregory Torso

I really loved this. Also a big fan of their Covers Tape, particularly the Madonna and Def Leppard covers. What a band.