Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:22:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Expanse (Season 5)

Started by Puce Moment, September 29, 2020, 10:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Sorry if you're looking for a release date - they have not announced yet. However, by the end of February 2019 they had wrapped on filming season 4 and it was out by December last year. Similarly, season 5 JUST finished wrapping filming before storm covid hit so it is looking very likely that it will be released before Xmas. That also means we will probably know soon as they tend to announce late Autumn schedules at the start of October.

I would say that season 4 was a tiny dip for me - but only just. I have so much love for this show despite its glaring and sometimes distracting faults. But it manages to retain a hard SF ethic that I really appreciate, and has some really lateral and wild ideas (some from the novels, some from the writers and producers).

In any case, I'm so glad they managed to complete filming and I am looking forward to what is becoming quite an obsession of mine. I'm going to start rewatching from the start at some point soon if anyone wants to join me.

Mobius

Can't wait for more of this. The ending of Season 4 was cool. My only issue with the Season 4 was that after the epicness of the end of Season 3, it felt a bit small and self-contained.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The book series consists of three loose trilogies. Season 3 concluded the first major arc. Season 4 is the beginning of a new cycle.

Production wrapped before many women lined up to accuse Cas Anvar of being a creep with an history of assaults targeting even underage fans. There's an investigation underway, and, if there's a season 6, it wouldn't be a surprise if the part of Alex was recast.

surreal

I've been following James SA Corey on twitter, and they said many times that S5 is not being delayed by Covid, so I'm hoping it shows up before the end of the year.

Just started with the books, halfway through the second one at the moment and I prefer them to the early seasons of the show, which I think made things more complicated by mashing things together - of course there are good reasons for doing it, but Avasarala and the UN don't appear at all in the first book and I think it's better for just focusing on Holden and Miller.

NoSleep

Season four was a massive turning point for the series. The first three seasons saw something totally alien invade the Solar System, so season 4 (about the politics of colonisation, etc) was bound to seem mundane in comparison. I expect there's much more to learn about the seeming demise of whoever created the portal and the structures (as well as the proto-molecule) we've seen so far. I suspect there's something else entirely (no need to correct or confirm this if you've read the books, thanks).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've not watched season 4 yet (and, thanks to the Cas Anvar revelations, I'm not sure I even want to) but I felt that the show had changed pretty significantly already. It was still good, but I missed the space noir stuff of the first series.

purlieu

The fourth season definitely felt like it was a bit of a standalone story in many ways, rather than a continuation of the initial arc, so I'm glad to read that it's not just going to be a case of
Spoiler alert
"they visit a different planet each season and something happens"
[close]
from now on. Still very good, and I'm looking forward to see where it's heading.

Mobius

Season 5 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caLji74IIp4&feature=emb_logo

Looks ace. Can't wait. Haven't read the books but people seem particularly hyped for this one.

Dog Botherer

looks like loads more space and less dicking around on shithole planets that look like generic canadian countryside. good shit.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Amazon has just announced that they'll produce a sixth and final season of the show, apparently with a different actor as Alex.

As books 7 to 9 take place three decades later (and book 9 isn't even released), I can see why they didn't want to deal with a general recast or a ton of old age make-up on the current cast.

surreal

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 25, 2020, 12:09:38 PM
As books 7 to 9 take place three decades later (and book 9 isn't even released), I can see why they didn't want to deal with a general recast or a ton of old age make-up on the current cast.

Just started book 6 and didn't realise there'd be a time jump after that.  James SA Corey on twitter has been fairly cagey about it all, says Alcon still have the rights and TV isn't everything.  Maybe someone might make a movie of 7/8/9?

At least they'll be able to end it cleanly for the show.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 25, 2020, 12:09:38 PM
Amazon has just announced that they'll produce a sixth and final season of the show, apparently with a different actor as Alex.

Although the reason they binned off Alex is because he's been #METOOCANCELLEDEPWEINSTEINED or something like that.

Sebastian Cobb

Also looks like due to the success of the boys or something, they're releasing the first 3 episodes then going weekly. I suppose having weekly releases allows chatter and hype to build like it did back in the TV days.

NoSleep

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 26, 2020, 11:48:28 AM
Although the reason they binned off Alex is because he's been #METOOCANCELLEDEPWEINSTEINED or something like that.

As explained by Ant Farm Keyboard earlier in the thread:

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on September 30, 2020, 12:26:35 AM
Production wrapped before many women lined up to accuse Cas Anvar of being a creep with an history of assaults targeting even underage fans. There's an investigation underway, and, if there's a season 6, it wouldn't be a surprise if the part of Alex was recast.

beanheadmcginty

But he only got that sacked this week?? I can only conclude that Alien Ant Farm Keyboard is actually Alex from the Expanse and I advise everyone to steer well clear.

Mobius

The first 3 episodes of Season 5 are now available in case you didn't know

druss

Holy shit, completely forgot about these. Excellent, thank you.

Obel

Reviews coming in saying it's the best season yet, adapted from what is regarded as the fan favourite book in the series. I've only read Leviathan Wakes so far and it's the quickest I've ever read a book so I'll be surprised if I haven't gotten upto book 6 before the 6th season arrives, especially with covid delays and all. I'm having a bit of a dilemma about whether to read book 6 before season 6 drops though... I absolutely adore the Expanse from watching the show before reading the books, so I almost feel a sense of loyalty to how the story in the show plays out.

Anyway can't wait to watch the new eps!

Dog Botherer

really hope this season isn't shit because the first 3 were very good and the last wasn't great.

Mobius

Got to say I've found the first 3 episodes a real drag, and full of boring domestic relationship shit.

Also were the belter accents always this shit and annoying, or have I just become an even more miserable cunt since last season

Poobum

In contrast I quite enjoyed it, Amos is fast becoming one of my favourite characters in anything. Finding the belta accent as charming as ever. So I'm sorry, it seems you are succumbing to the misery of an absurd and pointless existence. Oops.

Mobius

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Thanks!

Episode 3's ending got me hyped, so I'm still onboard.

Spoon of Ploff

With the Star Trek franchise soiling itself repeatedly this year, and Star Wars reduced to a man in a mask carrying a green muppet around, this is a breath of fresh air. Always found the conflicts between the various human factions in the solar system more interesting than the alien tech stuff, and it looks like that's where this season is focused. Some nice little touches too,
Spoiler alert
such as the '7 Solar Days Accident Free' sign on Pallas station resetting to 0 almost as its out of camera shot.
[close]

Sonny_Jim

So did anyone else notice the Klav Kalash guy from the Twin Towers episode of the Simpsons pop up as a background character in episode 2?

It was hilarious emotional whiplash, the sexual abuse survivor is tracking down his old friend, but then there's a guy saying 'no bowl, stick stick!'

Apparently there's loads of Simpsons references but this was the first one I spotted

NoSleep

Quote from: Mobius on December 16, 2020, 08:19:18 PM
Episode 3's ending got me hyped, so I'm still onboard.

That was some ending.

surreal

Quote from: NoSleep on December 18, 2020, 04:32:56 PM
That was some ending.

More to come, if they follow the books it should be terrific.  Amos is just awesome, such a great character, the scene at the start with the "insurance" was pretty much spot on from the book.  Avasarala is perfect casting, I follow her on twitter and can't help but hear every post in her voice.

NoSleep

She was sounding a bit like Popeye when she was sat at the bar in one of the new episodes.

Obel

druss

Just caught up with this. Fucking hell, that was some episode. I'm glad belters aren't real because I am fast becoming a massive racist towards them.

druss

Such a shame season 6 will be the last, particularly when trash like Discovery is still being made.