Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:36:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird nuisance calls

Started by touchingcloth, September 29, 2020, 11:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherman Krank

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on September 30, 2020, 10:19:37 PM
Whereas I'm in the market for both. Possibly even at the same time.

Sorry the poor quality recording clearly states that it's a local service for local people.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on September 30, 2020, 10:29:22 PM
That's bollocks, I'm afraid (I should know ,as I wrote the code that delivers the FSK-coded CLI message to the terminating user's equipment). If the originator withholds their number, the Calling Line Directory Number Information Element containing the Originating Line ID digit string never gets sent to the terminating user. Instead, a Reason for Abscence Information element is sent containing the IA6 character'P' (the value that indicates 'Withheld'), which them prompts the terminating user's phone or CLI box to display the 'WITHHELD' string. It's all specified in Annex A if the BT SIN 227 specification.

I did think it outlandish, I can't remember what engineering equipment being talked about on some forum or other I must've misunderstood that made me think there was some truth in it, since it doesn't seem like a sane way to build a system.

What are these things programmed in? Some form of assembly?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: buzby on September 30, 2020, 10:29:22 PM
That's bollocks, I'm afraid (I should know ,as I wrote the code that delivers the FSK-coded CLI message to the terminating user's equipment). If the originator withholds their number, the Calling Line Directory Number Information Element containing the Originating Line ID digit string never gets sent to the terminating user. Instead, a Reason for Abscence Information element is sent containing the IA6 character'P' (the value that indicates 'Withheld'), which them prompts the terminating user's phone or CLI box to display the 'WITHHELD' string. It's all specified in Annex A if the BT SIN 227 specification.

I don't want to sound like a precocious twat but I did want to say thank you for your continued, balanced, informative posts.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 30, 2020, 11:08:00 PM
I did think it outlandish, I can't remember what engineering equipment being talked about on some forum or other I must've misunderstood that made me think there was some truth in it, since it doesn't seem like a sane way to build a system.

PHP.

buzby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 30, 2020, 11:08:00 PM
The only interfaces that carry both the CLI and 'Withheld' flag are the C7 NUP or ISUP links between the originating and terminating exchanges  that carry the call control messages between the calling and called parties. Those links are not exposed to anyone outside licenced network operators*. The Concentrator that hosts the terminating line only gets the Reason For Abscence IE in the CLI message that comes from it's parent exchange, so even it  doesn't know the Calling Party's number. The protocol was designed that way specifically to eliminate the possibility of a withheld number being released.

*obvious exceptions may apply
The Concentrator's control software is written in a mix of 80386 assembler, Intel PL/M386 and Intel C. The Line Card firmware is either in 8086 assembler, Intel C or Microtek 68k C depending on the type of line, and the FSK delivery is via a TI DSP running TI TMS320C assembler. It's all ancient stuff (remember System X started development in the late 70s) but it's bombproof (quite literally, as that was part of the original specification). All static variables and buffers too, so there's no chance of memory leaks or fragmentation.

Clownbaby

I've had the odd call recently from the same phone number each time, where it's just what sounds like someone saying "hello? Er... hello?" every time, with background noise and music as if they're in a pub calling you or something, then hanging up. I got the same call about 4 times so I called the number back and it was one of the usual selling shit companies  so I guess they're trying to come across like they're possibly someone you might know, or someone ordinary, to get you to call them back just to find out who the fuck keeps calling and then hanging up. I don't see how this is going to get them more customers/targets though because A) it's annoying so you're not going to be in a receptive mood, and B) who is going to keep on the line once they know it's just telemarketing? I guess they're hoping you'll be old or a bit stupid or too polite to hang up

I never understand people who actually talk to these cold-callers and tell them they're not interested. Hang up the phone and block the number. Same with the people in town who accost you. I saw a woman absolutely rushing to work and a guy stopped her and instead of just saying ''no thanks'' and walking past she stopped and listened to him impatiently and kept saying '' I - I really have to - I really have to go''. Why??? Just say ''no thanks'' and go

If you see Jehovah's witnesses or Virgin Media people at the door, just don't answer the door.

I just google every unknown number that calls me and they're all rated as suspicious, every time. Block the number, repeat

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 30, 2020, 09:54:37 PM
That used to be really good but these days it doesn't seem to have results.

Seems alright to me. I had an unknown caller today:

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01174433677