Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:07:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 III - Mo Cuntery for Old Men

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, September 30, 2020, 03:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 30, 2020, 10:40:01 AM
I really believe after four more years of Trump, or even Biden, it'll be someone else even worse next - by which I mean, same far-right policies but with enough intelligence/focus to actually carry out whatever extreme measures are deemed necessary to "save America".

100% agree.  There'll be no swing to the left.  A sabre-rattling fascist is far more likely - Trump feels like a trial run.  The illusion of decency has been cast off.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I read the highlights on RTE and all I can think about is Traveller call-out videos from eight years ago.

"Sleepy Joe, you called me the worst President the country ever had. Well I done more in 47 months than you done in 47 years!"

"Now Donald. You wrote, or paid someone to write for ya, a buke called The Art of the Deal. Well your little friends in China are after perfecting the art of the steal!"

"Sleepy Joe, you're telling me to smarten up. Joe Biden graduated bottom of his class. Don't you ever use that word to me again, with your junkie son beside you, taking handouts from China!"

"Now Donald Trump, with your little child's hands on ya. Your son Barron the immigrant's bastard have bigger hands than ya. You talked about my son Hunter. Hunter gave up the drugs. But you can't give up being a clown."

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 30, 2020, 10:38:44 AM
Of course he was fucking dogwhistling. He's approaching an election that he's widely tipped to lose and he's just told an armed militia group to 'stand by'.

What planet are these fascist-enabling cunts on?
Not only that but he will not count mail-in votes because of voter fraud. 

Retinend

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 30, 2020, 10:38:44 AM
Of course he was fucking dogwhistling. He's approaching an election that he's widely tipped to lose and he's just told an armed militia group to 'stand by'.

What planet are these fascist-enabling cunts on?

Was that directed at me?

jobotic

Good that Biden managed to keep his head together well enough to totally distance himself from the left.

So Trump's tax affairs and debts weren't mentioned?

Retinend

Quote from: jobotic on September 30, 2020, 11:28:58 AM
So Trump's tax affairs and debts weren't mentioned?

It was mentioned - somewhere early on.

Kelvin

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 30, 2020, 09:17:43 AM
Have i not woken up yet or is "stand back and stand by" patently non-sequitur nonsense

Yes. He was trying to avoid condemning fascists (which itself makes him incredibly racist),  but I dont believe he was, in this instance, telling them to "stand by" for violence. He was just clumsily dancing around the words.

His folllow up comment about Antifa and the "far left" was him trying to focus the blame on them, and saying they were the ones that needed condemning. He had already done this multiple times earlier in his answer.

None of this changes the fact that he didnt want to condemn white supremacists, and is a huge fucking racist. But watching it live, in context, and even just re-watching the clip, I dont believe that specific quote was a call to arms.

Bernice

Quote from: Hundhoon on September 30, 2020, 10:42:49 AM
ive never seen Twitter so algorithmically biased. the editors are really promoting Biden.

How could you possibly evidence this claim?

Paul Calf

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 30, 2020, 10:40:01 AM
I really believe after four more years of Trump, or even Biden, it'll be someone else even worse next - by which I mean, same far-right policies but with enough intelligence/focus to actually carry out whatever extreme measures are deemed necessary to "save America".

It doesn't even need to be anyone intelligent. Look how far they've got with an overpromoted fascist Wotsit.

Another four years of this death-march would be plenty to leave America The Greatest Fascist Nation Ever To Have Been. The Fourth Reich.

With the tools and techniques they have, they'll just be getting started after 1000 years.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Kelvin on September 30, 2020, 11:30:34 AM
Yes. He was trying to avoid condemning fascists (which itself makes him incredibly racist),  but I dont believe he was, in this instance, telling them to "stand by" for violence. He was just clumsily dancing around the words.

His folllow up comment about Antifa and the "far left" was him trying to focus the blame on them, and sayibg they were the ones that needed condemning.

None of this changes the fact that he didnt want to condemn white supremacists, and is a huge fucking racist. But watching it live, in context, and even just re-watching the clip, I dont believe that specific quote was a call to arms.
I think he was answering Wallace's question whether he would 'codemn and tell them to stand down.' But he doesn't condemn them, he doesn't even tell them to 'stand down' instead it's 'stand back and stand by.' It's a weasely way to reframe the question.

Retinend

Quote from: Kelvin on September 30, 2020, 11:30:34 AM
He was trying to avoid condemning fascists (which itself makes him incredibly racist),  but I dont believe he was, in this instance, telling them to "stand by" for violence. He was just clumsily dancing around the words.

I dont believe that specific quote was a call to arms.

Agreed. It was a bit galling to read that I am a "fascist-enabler" for interpreting Trump's rambling comment this way. In my interpretation, he was about to say the word "stand down" but, then he thought again and softened it so as not to insult "his guys".

ajsmith2

Does it make me a cave shadow watching, settling centrist dumbass to say I thought Biden came across pretty well? While his halting delivery betrayed his ancient congested synapses, overall he seemed coherent and calm compared to the other guy, and he did get his zingers in. Maybe it's because my expectations were earths mantle low and like many on both sides (both sides) I was expecting a nappy wearing vegetable whose only function would be to provide some nihilistic farce, I dunno. Trump's promise the earth 'my dick's big, yours is a twig' bluster just does not work as well when he's a defending incumbent, esp when every boast has to be prefixed with 'Until Covid came along' even in his reality. Maybe I'll feel differently when they debate foreign policy: that's the one area where Trump's scorecard appears to my limited understanding to be (relatively) different and an improvement on miserable business as usual.

Paul Calf

Giving fascists the benefit of the doubt is exactly why we're here. Even if you don't think he was putting the Sturmabteilung on standby, the Sturmabteilung clearly did, so can we have a bit less reasonable accommodation of facist language and a bit more biting condemnation?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 30, 2020, 11:31:28 AM
It doesn't even need to be anyone intelligent. Look how far they've got with an overpromoted fascist Wotsit.

Another four years of this death-march would be plenty to leave America The Greatest Fascist Nation Ever To Have Been. The Fourth Reich.

With the tools and techniques they have, they'll just be getting started after 1000 years.
I'm not sure America will see out this century in it's current form, let alone 1000 years. Ironically, capitalist economics may doom them, no matter how many immigrants, lefties and other non-desirables they put in camps. But it'll be a whole lot of horrors on the way.

Paul Calf

We have armed white supremacists marching through US  cities trying to start a race war, the president prevaricating in his language. At what point do you say "actually I don't think we should be assuming good-faith any more here"?

'Stand by' surely means 'be ready', especially in this context.  The Proud Boys are thick as mince, but I'm sure they didn't miss the meaning.

Trump has spent the last few months suggesting that violent protests are reasonable in the event that the election is 'stolen' from him (given that this is the only way he can lose in his mind).  He's hardly a wordsmith, but come on folks, this came shortly after him talking about having supporters 'watch' the vote counts.  Echoes of SA outside polling booths.

jobotic

Why would anyone think telling fascists to get ready to solve the problem of anti-fascists is ambiguous?

Kelvin

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 30, 2020, 11:51:46 AM
Giving fascists the benefit of the doubt is exactly why we're here. Even if you don't think he was putting the Sturmabteilung on standby, the Sturmabteilung clearly did, so can we have a bit less reasonable accommodation of facist language and a bit more biting condemnation?

It's not benefit of the doubt. I'm confident in my interpretation. And I've already said that what he was doing, trying to avoid condemning them, was massively racist. He's a racist, fascistic cunt. 

pigamus

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on September 30, 2020, 12:09:22 PM
'Stand by' surely means 'be ready', especially in this context.  The Proud Boys are thick as mince, but I'm sure they didn't miss the meaning.

Yes. It's reasonable to interpret that as "Stand back and let me win and then fill your boots".

idunnosomename

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on September 30, 2020, 12:09:22 PM
Mince Boys

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 30, 2020, 11:48:31 AM
Does it make me a cave shadow watching, settling centrist dumbass to say I thought Biden came across pretty well? While his halting delivery betrayed his ancient congested synapses, overall he seemed coherent and calm compared to the other guy, and he did get his zingers in. Maybe it's because my expectations were earths mantle low and like many on both sides (both sides) I was expecting a nappy wearing vegetable whose only function would be to provide some nihilistic farce, I dunno. Trump's promise the earth 'my dick's big, yours is a twig' bluster just does not work as well when he's a defending incumbent, esp when every boast has to be prefixed with 'Until Covid came along' even in his reality. Maybe I'll feel differently when they debate foreign policy: that's the one area where Trump's scorecard appears to my limited understanding to be (relatively) different and an improvement on miserable business as usual.

I think he did about as well as any politician would have under the same wretched circumstances, yeah.

chveik

by coming across well you just mean less zombie-like than we thought he would be. still, Trump's attempts to bully him weren't very successfull

they were both pathetic and the whole thing was a mess.

Ferris

So no change, basically? Everything still about the same?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: chveik on September 30, 2020, 12:30:33 PM
less zombie-like than we thought he would be.

Possibly due my pretty low expectations of Biden, or just any politicians in general having to be involved in this farce, it was better than the horrific car crash I was expecting. Trump tried his ranting raving best to knock Biden off the rails and failed miserably.

Jumblegraws

My completely uninformed take from this shitty US remake of Bottom is that I think Biden is probably more receptive to coaching and will put in a better showing next time because of this.

Menu

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 30, 2020, 10:35:49 AM
Horrible isn't it?

Choosing between another wretched useless stopgap temporarily staying the increasing pace of America's downward spiral who would fight the next election aged 81 (or ideally aged Dead) or hoping the idiot in charge gets another 4 years and fucks up things so badly, (with obvious innocent casualties) that something good must emerge from the ashes.

If you still can't decide, even at this slow-learner stage, who is the better candidate for US President out of these two then you are not on the left. You are facilitating fascism.

One guy is doddery and imperfect and will probably not last the term. The other one openly supports white nationalist militias.

<the Politics remedial class plead for extra time to weigh the options>

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Menu on September 30, 2020, 04:25:43 AM
There he is! POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT.POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT.POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT.POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT.POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT.POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT.POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT.POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT POST THAT CAT.

Ferris