Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:15:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 III - Mo Cuntery for Old Men

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, September 30, 2020, 03:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote'His son Hunter is a crack head and pedophile. Joe is a pedophile with a cracked head

You see, the Republicans missed a trick, they could have repeatedly accused Biden of being a paedophile.

Paedophile vs Rapist would be a good one.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 19, 2020, 11:10:09 AM
You see, the Republicans missed a trick, they could have repeatedly accused Biden of being a paedophile.

Paedophile vs Rapist would be a good one.

i bet if you polled Republicans on whether Biden is a kiddy fiddler or not you'd get 40-50% saying he was. they were mad for those hair sniffing memes, some of that definitely stuck.

jobotic

How come Lozza Fox can't call people paedophiles but Garrison can? He wants to get his arse over there.

ajsmith2

The Joe Biden being handsy meme stuff goes beyond right wing echo chambers, for instance Vic Berger did several videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1p9lVmOnzo

It's undeniably creepy behaviour that's just apolitically obvious as clear as day. Dunno how anyone could spin this stuff as anything but (at best) odd behavour. Sadly the choice this year is which groping sleazeball presidential candidate you'd prefer, you don't have the option to pick if they are a sleazeball groper or not.

ajsmith2

speaking of which, are there any third party candidates being proffered at all this year? Back in 2016 it was all 'vote for Jill Stein/fill in blank here if you want to stay true to your principles and don't want to hold your nose for Hillary' from the (relatively) left wing US pundits, but this year I guess it's so plain that it's either vote for Biden or ensure getting Trump again that no one's attempting to take that angle. (Unless I've missed something, which I may very well have).

Thursday

What's Jimmy Dore saying these days? I know he was one of the very pro Jill Stein people.

Dayraven

Quoteare there any third party candidates being proffered at all this year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_party_and_independent_candidates_for_the_2020_United_States_presidential_election

Libertarian and Green party candidates who are actually on the ballot in most places, then a whole bunch of Judean People's Front/People's Front of Judea campaigns dotted here and there.

honeychile

Quote from: Thursday on October 19, 2020, 01:16:57 PM
What's Jimmy Dore saying these days? I know he was one of the very pro Jill Stein people.

I think i remember Dore saying he has some "issues" with the Green Party's candidate Howie Hawkins, but he's definitely not supporting Biden so presumably it's either the Green or PSL tickets.

Dore was quite interesting the other day when he got invited on to Tucker Carlson's show (video here) - knowing that Trump watches it, he basically used it as a vehicle for a two-minute uninterrupted direct appeal to Trump's ego, simultaneously stroking it ("he's gotta take on the establishment, that's what won him the election in 2016"), appealing to it ("whoever gives the american people healthcare, they're gonna put on Mount Rushmore"), and mocking him to push a generous stimulus to ordinary people ("do you know how weak it looks that you're trying to position yourself as a victim of Nancy Pelosi?!").

It was nicely written but of course even if something like that did prompt Trump to make all kinds of promises, he'd just pretend he meant something else as soon as he won his second term.

pigamus

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 19, 2020, 01:05:03 PM
The Joe Biden being handsy meme stuff goes beyond right wing echo chambers, for instance Vic Berger did several videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1p9lVmOnzo

It's undeniably creepy behaviour that's just apolitically obvious as clear as day. Dunno how anyone could spin this stuff as anything as (at best) odd behavour. Sadly the choice this year is which groping sleazeball presidential candidate you'd prefer, you don't have the option to pick if they are a sleazeball groper or not.

It's like Chirac v Le Pen - 'Vote For The Crook Not The Fascist'

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 18, 2020, 08:03:15 PM
When's the last time one was in their 80s while in office and realistically after just fluking their way to the presidency in a manner that's gonna lead to a very strong backlash from all sides though? Has there ever even been one who obviously isn't gonna be doing a second term?

It'll be a weird presidency and I can't imagine the dems not doing everything remotely possible to ensure Harris is their nominee in 2024. We're gonna see way more of her than Biden over the next 4 years
I just don't understand why you're dreaming up this elaborate scenario. All you've done with the multiple qualifiers above is started from what you imagine Biden to be and then worked backwards, picking things which describe him and no-one else. You're describing something which has never happened as if it's an inevitability.

Dog Botherer

in fairness it's not exactly an elaborate work of fantasy to imagine an openly unwell Joe Biden stepping down in the next 4 years. he's already clearly not all there, even compared to less than 4 years ago, who knows what 4 years in the most stressful job in the world will do to him.

Old Nehamkin

I find it almost impossible to imagine Biden successfully reciting the Oath of Office, let alone serving a full term.

pigamus

Quote from: Dog Botherer on October 19, 2020, 03:22:22 PM
in fairness it's not exactly an elaborate work of fantasy to imagine an openly unwell Joe Biden stepping down in the next 4 years. he's already clearly not all there, even compared to less than 4 years ago, who knows what 4 years in the most stressful job in the world will do to him.

Yeah, Reagan only started losing his marbles towards the end, so they could cover it up, but Biden's sundowning before he's even started.

Ferris

I doubt he will campaign for a second term (he'll be 81), and there aren't as many democratic rising "stars" because they're being run by a load of octogenarians. I deffo reckon Kamala is being groomed for her own 2024 run.

ajsmith2

I dunno, I remember when I thought Trump would almost certainly explode of old and stress at some point between 2017 and 2020. Not that Trump and Biden are exactly cut from the same cloth, (Biden is definitely more doddery) but Trump is the proof that mentally infirm and physically questionable doesn't necessarily equal DEAD SOON in the presidential hot seat.

pigamus

If Kamala's forced to take over before then, can she still run for two full terms?

Paul Calf

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 19, 2020, 04:00:44 PM
Trump's going to win.

cool story bro

Quote from: pigamus on October 19, 2020, 03:55:06 PM
If Kamala's forced to take over before then, can she still run for two full terms?

Probably. I think Joe has to make it through 3 years to avoid being criticized as a "Trojan horse omg trump was right!!!11" by dimwitted centrists, give Kamala her 1 year audition in charge then run for 2 terms.

MojoJojo

If I remember a CGP Grey video I saw a week ago correctly, if the President dies the VP becomes president. If the President becomes "Inable", the VP takes on the powers and responsibilities of the president but doesn't actually become president.

Looking at the wiki, it seems that LBJ was allowed to stand for election twice as he served less than 24 months of Kennedy's term.

EOLAN

If she serves more than half the term; then she can't run for two full terms. IF she serves less than half (under 2 years) then she can.

So may look at a transition after mid-terms; around February - March 2023.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWhen's the last time one was in their 80s while in office and realistically after just fluking their way to the presidency in a manner that's gonna lead to a very strong backlash from all sides though?

Robert Mugabe?

Harry Badger

Quote from: pigamus on October 19, 2020, 03:49:24 PM
Yeah, Reagan only started losing his marbles towards the end, so they could cover it up, but Biden's sundowning before he's even started.

I dunno, I saw his solo town hall thing the other day and while most of what he was saying was standard politician flim-flam, he didn't seem in the least bit senile. He does sound frail though.

Dog Botherer

i will say, whatever they've got Biden on for these big media appearances, that's some fucking good shit

Fambo Number Mive

Maybe we will see a repeat of the Bush years with the VP wielding the real power, although Biden isn't as lazy as Bush.

Thursday

Pesudosciene from me, but I suspect a high pressure and important job can probably help keep a mind focused and slow the descent into senility... That and all the various drugs and injections.

Paul Calf

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 19, 2020, 04:04:08 PM
cool story bro

Probably. I think Joe has to make it through 3 years to avoid being criticized as a "Trojan horse omg trump was right!!!11" by dimwitted centrists, give Kamala her 1 year audition in charge then run for 2 terms.

Trump's 6/4. Do you think that's impossible? It's not that far off evens.

Paul Calf

DrGreggles

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 19, 2020, 07:31:42 PM
Trump's 6/4. Do you think that's impossible? It's not that far off evens.

It's a 2 horse race and the other horse is odds on.
6/4 doesn't bode well for Trump.

Mister Six

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 18, 2020, 10:51:27 PM
Fluke:
The dems only got behind him at the last minute when they realised he was the only option to get rid of Bernie
The pandemic has made a lot of his weaknesses into strengths
The terrible handling of it has ramped up the "anyone but Trump" vote to an unprecedented level, in a regular cycle by this stage Biden would be facing a pretty firm backlash for either hiding away or just being a bit of an entitled prick

Backlash:
"anyone but Trump" might keep media types satiated for a full term but regular people are gonna move past that pretty fast, especially with the economic situation they're gonna be in
He's not gonna bring any kind of significant reform, even Obama took a huge hit in 2010 midterms when enthusiasm was totally muted, at this stage it'll be riots and shit as bad as they are now
It'll be actively in the GOP's interest to stoke the fuck outta that dissent if they're not in power

I struggle to see how it can be anything but a republican president in 2024 tbh

Best chance the Dems have - assuming they get Biden and both houses - is to destroy the Electoral College, stack the Supreme Court and (once Supreme Court is stacked) legislate against gerrymandering across the US. Representation for DC and Puerto Rico would also help massively.

They won't do any of that, of course, because they're fucking useless.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Obvious statement but will make it anyway: not worth calling the outcome yet.