Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Borat 2 - 23/Oct

Started by evilcommiedictator, October 01, 2020, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilcommiedictator

Officially announced today, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe To American Regime For Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan will be released on Amazon on the 23rd of October.

https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/status/1311501623571574785

It sounds like he has been filming this for a little bit, but another dose of laughing at idiots will make us all feel better, right?

It looks like he was been filming some "Who is America" style stuff for it:
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1277282807950249986

up_the_hampipe

Who Is America was one of the best things he's done, at least when it worked, some of them fell flat. I'll be interested to see if he can make this work, Borat seems a little dated as a character, but the stuff in disguise might be great.

BlodwynPig

What the world needs now...

dissolute ocelot

Looking forward to some angry tweets from the Vizier of Kazazakhstan about this monstrous insult to his nation.

Mister Six

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 01, 2020, 03:58:10 PM
Who Is America was one of the best things he's done, at least when it worked, some of them fell flat. I'll be interested to see if he can make this work, Borat seems a little dated as a character, but the stuff in disguise might be great.

This Is America was about a third absolute brilliance, a third sort of middling easy shots and a third wet fart nothingness

The quinceanera sketch was absolutely incredible though.

Malcy

The Mollusk

I've never seen the first one so I don't really know how best to judge this trailer, but it does look like absolute shite.

madhair60

At the time, the first one was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. I wept and screamed with laughter.

Not sure how I'd feel about it now.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: madhair60 on October 01, 2020, 11:42:18 PM
At the time, the first one was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. I wept and screamed with laughter.

Not sure how I'd feel about it now.

Yeah, it didn't hold up well with each rewatch, but it was probably the most I've laughed in a cinema, along with Team America and ... Dodgeball. I must've just been in a very good mood in the mid-2000s.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Directed by Jason Woliner, who also shot almost all of Eagleheart.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

First 45 minutes of Borat, pretty funny still. As per usual with these things, attempts to dramatise it are lame and it runs out of steam.

By contrast, Bruno stands up a bit better, but that film is off the wall bezerk.

Mobius

colacentral

The good stuff in the original film is mostly a weak retread of scenes from the HBO show, so you'd always might as well just watch that and not have to endure all the crap scripted gross out scenes.

Incidentally, I'd completely disagree with "This is America" being his best work - the HBO Ali G Show was his masterpiece, almost flawless. It's criminal that, even after the success of Borat, there was never a region 2 DVD release of the second series, and I remember in the few years prior to the Borat film coming out it was impossible to get anybody to watch it, every cunt thinking Ali G was just an old fad.

The new trailer doesn't look promising, but they could just be gearing it towards the sort of audience that finds the bikini funny. That song that leaked in June about "the wuhan flu" is much funnier than anything shown.

Excuse to post some old clips though:

https://youtu.be/r2lKq794fII

magval

Is the bit where he goes through the entire wall-display of some giant American grocery shop asking 'what is this' and being constantly told 'cheese' for AGES, is that bit in the main film or in the extras? Because I fucking love that bit both as a face value comedy stamina experiment challenge AND as the much better satire of American eating habits that it works as.

colacentral

It's a deleted scene. I agree, one of the better bits, but obviously a bit too slow for the sort of film they ended up making.

ajsmith2

Wonder if he filmed the Kazakhstan scenes in the same village in Romania as last time.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on October 02, 2020, 06:36:53 AM
Directed by Jason Woliner, who also shot almost all of Eagleheart.

And 'The Claw' and 'The Hero' episodes of Nathan For You. He's directed some amazing comedy, but the trailer does look bad.

I thought the first film was alright. A few chuckles but not as good as the previous Borat TV stuff. Bruno film was better.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: colacentral on October 02, 2020, 08:31:04 AM
Incidentally, I'd completely disagree with "This is America" being his best work - the HBO Ali G Show was his masterpiece, almost flawless.

I said one of the best, certainly the series and the Borat movie are my favourites. But in terms of what he achieved, Who Is America was truly astonishing in places, I'd argue some of it was perhaps more impressive than Brass Eye, definitely went further than Cake. Not as funny though.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 02, 2020, 06:59:02 AM
By contrast, Bruno stands up a bit better, but that film is off the wall bezerk.

Hmm, a lot of Bruno was Cohen trying to bait homophobia out of men by sexually harassing them. Some amazing scenes, some of the bravest shit he's ever done, but it's probably less defensible overall.

EOLAN

Well Peter Baynham still seems to be on the writing team; along with Sascha and six others.

mr. logic

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 02, 2020, 10:15:43 AM
I thought the first film was alright. A few chuckles but not as good as the previous Borat TV stuff. Bruno film was better.

I agree with this. I said it at the time but I think it's a fairly niche opinion.

My big problem with Borat was the Pamela Anderson stunt. That was so obviously faked that I just had to accept that loads of the other stuff could have been too, and that cheapened it all.

SavageHedgehog

Isn't Borat mostly seen as an embarrassing fad in America, one rung higher or lower than Austin Powers? This does feel a bit Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on October 02, 2020, 02:01:18 PM
Isn't Borat mostly seen as an embarrassing fad in America, one rung higher or lower than Austin Powers?

Where are you getting that from? The catchphrases were overused to the point of parody, but both Borat and Austin Powers (at least the first one) are largely considered great comedy movies.

druss

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 02, 2020, 03:54:34 PM
The catchphrases were overused to the point of parody
I agree, and so does MAAA WIIIFE.

druss

Can't see how this won't be shit because everyone knows who Borat is now. Makes every scene where he's with someone apparently not in the know seem staged.

Will still watch it though, and will probably laugh.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Doesn't the trailer suggest that Borat, who has become famous within the semi-fictional world of the film, adopts a disguise in order for him to go undetected in public? Thus allowing SBC to 'prank' people in his usual style?

BritishHobo

I watched Borat again in the wake of this news and still find myself a little bit cold with it all. I think I've always been at a disadvantage - being young-ish when the film came out, I didn't get to see it for a long time. Naturally it was quoted to the point of madness, so by the time I did see it, it felt like I'd heard it all - like that thing of watching Seinfeld or Star Wars and going 'nah it's shit' because you've seen all the things they inspired.

Undeniably parts of it are so fucking funny. But I always feel a bit of distance because I don't get what he's going for. It's always talked about like he draws out this really scathing image of bigotry in America, but to me it just doesn't feel like that's there. Apart from the Iraq cheering bit at the rodeo, and the frat boys, most sections come off like him saying something offensive before the scene ends because the participants clearly just went 'this guy's being a prick, I'm out'. The political stuff especially feels like real amateur YouTube stuff, and annoyingly gives the Republicans he interviews an air of dignity, sat there while this prankster says something stupid.

I read an interview recently where he explained how he was fascinated in the indifference towards antisemitism, the small acts that he felt do the real damage in opening the doors to the worse stuff. At the core of my bafflement with Borat is that I cannot see how he reconciles that with the whole character, amd all the scenes in Kazakhstan, just being a barrage of horrible shit stereotypes. It's proper have-your-cake-and-eat-it, and I think Bruno and The Dictator really reinforced to me that the funny stuff in Borat was just papering over, as with Gervais, an obsession with lazy, faux-ironic stereotypes.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 02, 2020, 03:54:34 PM
Where are you getting that from? The catchphrases were overused to the point of parody, but both Borat and Austin Powers (at least the first one) are largely considered great comedy movies.

Pretty much the only times I've seen Borat referenced in the last 8 years or so are along the line of that Bob's Burgers gag about it, or the similar running gag on Earwolf podcasts, or other comments on Podcasts etc which allude to it being faddish and a bit embarrassing in retrospect, or dated, or everyone's favourite "problematic now". My impression is that it's something that isn't remembered very fondly in the US; I could well be wrong but it does seem to come in for a fair bit of criticism.

JamesTC

While we are talking about other SBC films. Grimsby is a little underrated. The humour is exactly as you'd expect, obvious and gross-out, but it has a heart to it and the lead has a surprising kind of likeability.

SavageHedgehog

I thought it was pretty bad, but I did get about 5 shameful but undeniable big laughs out of it, which I can't say about all comedies