Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Borat 2 - 23/Oct

Started by evilcommiedictator, October 01, 2020, 01:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 02, 2020, 08:51:10 PM
I watched Borat again in the wake of this news and still find myself a little bit cold with it all. I think I've always been at a disadvantage - being young-ish when the film came out, I didn't get to see it for a long time. Naturally it was quoted to the point of madness, so by the time I did see it, it felt like I'd heard it all - like that thing of watching Seinfeld or Star Wars and going 'nah it's shit' because you've seen all the things they inspired.

Undeniably parts of it are so fucking funny. But I always feel a bit of distance because I don't get what he's going for. It's always talked about like he draws out this really scathing image of bigotry in America, but to me it just doesn't feel like that's there. Apart from the Iraq cheering bit at the rodeo, and the frat boys, most sections come off like him saying something offensive before the scene ends because the participants clearly just went 'this guy's being a prick, I'm out'. The political stuff especially feels like real amateur YouTube stuff, and annoyingly gives the Republicans he interviews an air of dignity, sat there while this prankster says something stupid.

I read an interview recently where he explained how he was fascinated in the indifference towards antisemitism, the small acts that he felt do the real damage in opening the doors to the worse stuff. At the core of my bafflement with Borat is that I cannot see how he reconciles that with the whole character, amd all the scenes in Kazakhstan, just being a barrage of horrible shit stereotypes. It's proper have-your-cake-and-eat-it, and I think Bruno and The Dictator really reinforced to me that the funny stuff in Borat was just papering over, as with Gervais, an obsession with lazy, faux-ironic stereotypes.

The thing you're talking about, the exposing bigotry element, is much stronger and more evident in the HBO series. I think knowing that was an element of the character previously is why it gets projected onto the film as, like you said, it's not really evident in the film that much. That's partly because the scenes are edited down more to move the story along, where in the series they had room to breathe and let the subjects make fools of themselves, and because the shock factor has been amped up for the film, which again as you've said just makes Borat look insufferable to be around.

evilcommiedictator

Having a think about it, the genius of Ali G is posing an entirely silly question to smart (or not so smart) well known people, and allowing them to be polite and talk through it/exposing their stupidity entirely voluntarily.

Whereas with the more recent stuff, I feel it's a harder sell as these are just regular people, presented with something entirely silly. And like, in the trailer, he's been invited into someone's home, where he's hitting the virus with a pan and getting his pants off.

Are they just playing for the camera? At least with Chris Morris' CAKE, we knew these smart people were being silly along with us, with the exception of that Tory MP.

Ferris

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 02, 2020, 08:58:53 AM
And 'The Claw' and 'The Hero' episodes of Nathan For You. He's directed some amazing comedy, but the trailer does look bad.

Between them, those two episodes of telly are for pound the best 45 minutes of comedy in the last 10 years.

Knowing that has made me strangely interested in watching this. I won't, obviously, but maybe when it's on Netflix or something.

Noodle Lizard

Tim Kirkby directed Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle and ... Action Point, starring Johnny Knoxville and Chris Pontius. Not that Action Point was unforgivably terrible or anything, but I think the brilliance of shows like SLCV and Nathan For You is more down to its creators than directors.

Ferris

...yeah fair point actually

oy vey

I was wondering recently where Cohen could go next. That answers that.

Hand Solo

I liked his ADL award acceptance speech where he equated Free Speech = Anti-semitism and asked for free speech to be censored on the internet to preserve free speech, in a speech he freely made to a body that likes to censor free speech.

It's his best satire of all, hilarious.

Bad Ambassador

That's a link to a nutcase truther, just so you don't pollute your recommended list and get put on a register of fucking weirdoes.

Hand Solo

Best report it to the moderator and have the post censored.

evilcommiedictator

You can always right-click on a youtube video at a given time and create a link to share so you can skip the nutter claiming Jews run the world, HTH

Hand Solo

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 04, 2020, 12:59:02 AM
You can always right-click on a youtube video at a given time and create a link to share so you can skip the nutter claiming Jews run the world, HTH

Can you use this method to please link me to the time in the video where he claims this? Cheers.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 04, 2020, 04:39:18 AM
Can you use this method to please link me to the time in the video where he claims this? Cheers.

2 minutes in, doesn't find the word "Labradoodle" funny. Racist again them.

5:45
Cohen: "Just think what Goebbels could have done with facebook"
Reactionary Twat: "This is comedy gold! He is going to show the audience how they are the fascists for wanting to suppress the political speech of their enemies"

Why bother with these dense youtube cunts, honestly

Dog Botherer

that story is absolutely mental and i believe every word of it. absolute jackpot for free promotion, Giuliani's face is already smeared over every cable news station and now they'll be talking about Borat 2 Electric Boogaloo 60 times a day.

bgmnts

The best thing Cohen has ever done is a bit as Ali G where he shows someone in Hollywood his James Bond film where he just shags a girl up against a tree for a ridiculously long time.

Personally think Borat is his weakest character, much prefer Bruno.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dog Botherer on October 21, 2020, 07:13:50 PM
that story is absolutely mental and i believe every word of it. absolute jackpot for free promotion, Giuliani's face is already smeared over every cable news station and now they'll be talking about Borat 2 Electric Boogaloo 60 times a day.

It's amazing. Even if the film as a whole isn't up to much, it sounds like SBC has outdone himself here. Bravo.

Sin Agog

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on October 21, 2020, 07:20:56 PM
The best thing Cohen has ever done is a bit as Ali G where he shows someone in Hollywood his James Bond film where he just shags a girl up against a tree for a ridiculously long time.

Full 8 minute "movie" here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2FHTUhf7Rw&ab_channel=sachaspain

"The name's James Bond....James Bond"

Noodle Lizard

Here's apparently a more detailed description:

QuoteUpdate, 3:01 p.m ET: I have seen the clip, courtesy of a tipster. We're not posting it here for obvious legal/ embargo reasons, but it's far more graphic than any of the reviews make it sound.

What I saw starts at the end of an interview between Rudy and Borat's "daughter" Tutar. Tutar is apologizing to Rudy for something, and then leans forward and touches his knee, suggestively. She then thanks him for the interview and invites him into the bedroom of the hotel suite they're in for a drink.  He awkwardly helps her remove some of her microphones, and then immediately sits down on the bed, patting her, again, extremely awkwardly on the waist, while saying "you can give me your phone number, and your address."

Tutar helps Giuliani remove a microphone from his shirt while he is sitting on the bed. He then lies down flat on his back and pushes both hands into the front of his pants, possibly re-tucking his shirt, but they stay there as he rummages around a bit, sighing.

At this point, Borat rushes into the room, wearing a wig and some kind of lingerie bustier over white boxer briefs and what appears to be a G-string. I will now quote the dialogue directly:

BORAT: Put down your frump!
GIULIANI: Oop!
Giuliani sits up straight
BORAT: She's 15, she too old for you!
GIULIANI: Why are you dressed like this?
BORAT: She's my daughter, please, take me instead, take my anus [pronounced a-noose]
GIULIANI: I don't want you!
Giuliani stands up and begins to leave the room
BORAT, following him: No, take my anus, do not have her.
TUTAR, also following him: I'm better than him!!
BORAT: No, I better, my back pussy very tight!
TUTAR: No, please, my [inaudible] anus!
BORAT: Please I will Let you enjoy my hum in your mouth.
GIULIANI, at the door: No, No.
TUTAR: I would love to marry [?] you.
BORAT: I was in prison many years, so I have techniques with my mouth.
GIULIANI, to a security guard in the hall: I don't know what's going on here who is this guy?
BORAT: I forbid this union!
BORAT, as Giuliani is walking down the hall: Rudy, Trump would be disappoint, you are leaving hotel without golden shower!

Hmm, I dunno. I'll have to wait to see it, but it sounds like the kind of stuff I like least about SBC's work. Secretly filming a (single) man who believes he's being seduced, then calling him a paedo and doing a "Ha ha gay sex" gag ... I don't really know what point it proves, regardless of how much of a prick Giuliani might be. Good promotion though.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 21, 2020, 09:25:40 PM
Hmm, I dunno. I'll have to wait to see it, but it sounds like the kind of stuff I like least about SBC's work. Secretly filming a (single) man who believes he's being seduced, then calling him a paedo and doing a "Ha ha gay sex" gag ... I don't really know what point it proves, regardless of how much of a prick Giuliani might be. Good promotion though.
Well, it's not like he'll offend Rudy's three previous cousin-wives, and neither did he just sign a waiver saying he was about to be filmed, either?

This is totally fine and normal, just taking off his mic and tucking in his shirt

zomgmouse

He's created a tiktok account and has posted a few videos of trends and publicity and so on but there's also this one clip from the film: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSQRGQSE/

evilcommiedictator

There's a free watch party on release tomorrow:
https://rsvp.livefromkt.tv/

El Unicornio, mang

Looks rum but I've tucked my shirt like that before (awkward to do it sitting normally and can't be arsed standing up), so I dunno. The actress is 24 anyway so I'm not sure what crime is supposed to have been committed since the "she's 15" bit came afterwards? General dodginess aside, but he's not squeaky clean to begin with. People on reddit actually saying "Giuliani tried to have sex with a child".

colacentral

Borat was funny in the TV show when he was being nice and polite; it was unsettling and it disarmed the people he was interviewing ("I like you, do you like me?" etc). I like those quiet conversations that take bizarre turns, that are then taken for granted as real by the interviewees. It looks like this is leaning more and more into loud shock value, and Borat seems to have become a different character. I'm not sure I can even bring myself to watch it.

Butchers Blind

JamesTC

Watched Da Ali G Show while working today. It is all on All 4 which is now quite good.

I think the bit where Borat learns how to wine taste in the first episode of the second series is my favourite bit with him. He manages to wring a two-minute sketch around Borat not understanding that they want him to grab the glass from a certain place. It was almost Two Ronnies esque.

Now re-watching Ali G In Da House for the first time in many years. Tim from The Office in his best remembered role.

EDIT: Ali G is currently being wanked off by a blind council worker who thinks he is polishing a railing.

JamesTC

Quote from: JamesTC on October 22, 2020, 05:25:20 PM

EDIT: Ali G is currently being wanked off by a blind council worker who thinks he is polishing a railing.

30 minutes later and he is initiating world peace.