Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:34:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bash Crandicoot 4

Started by Clownbaby, October 02, 2020, 08:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I hold Crash 1 dearly to my heart as my favourite Crash game. I love it to bits. I love the janky old graphics and the sort of boney levels and atmosphere compared to the other 2 in the trilogy, which I still like but not half as much, because they felt oddly bloated to me even though I still like them.

I reckon Crash 4 looks fair decent, looks like the company Toys For Bob have put plenty love and effort into making sure it's a natural continuation of the original 3 but with some added   stuff to fuck with, like the different witch doctor masks, and my boy Neo Cortex being a playable character. All the characters look good as well, apart from Crash's ex Tawna who for some reason is the only character to have been given a complete design overhaul. Bit odd that.

Looking forward to giving this a look

magval

I've been playing this, and right from the first fucking level, it is HARD. Not so hard that I don't want to play it, and in fact quite the opposite, but kiddos are going to struggle with this one.

The borrowed mechanics from the Mario Galaxy and Ratchet and Clank games fit in really nicely. Looks and sounds amazing.

It's got a 12 rating slapped on the case, which is odd for what LOOKS like a kids game. Unless (given the title directly addressing it) this one is intended for adults who played the originals, expressly?

Anyway, Paid 50 fucking quid for it so I'll be selling it as soon as I can so as not to lose too much money. It's SIXTY quid on the PSN store? Is that what games cost now? Even platform games (though I don't know why I should make the decision). Mental.

Bazooka

That's stupidly high for digital, Sony always mark up the big releases on there,but 60 quid is usually a deluxe version,this doesn't have one right?. The Last of Us 2 was the same price, but about £50 physical, and that costs more to develop than Crash. Then when they are on sale they drop them to the price of brand new physical copy in the shops price.

It does look good, but yeah no way at that price, I'll buy it in a year.

magval

Some games have drastic, permanent price drops not long after release (say six months). Resident Evil 7 was one such game, and I expect this will be another.

Timothy

Yeah this game is probably going to be 30 - 40 euros around Black Friday. I'm waiting but looking forward to it. It seems great.

justin_bennett

I had set aside this pissing wet weekend to play it.  Decided on a whim a few weeks ago to pre-order the disc rather than just downloading it on the day.  Bastard Royal Mail delivered to G14 sorting office rather than G41.  24hr-tracked-delivery from Royal Mail and is currently sitting fuck knows where.  Raging.

magval

I had to download a 6 gig update before I could play my disc version. Is that normal?

Clownbaby

Quote from: magval on October 03, 2020, 12:49:49 PM
I had to download a 6 gig update before I could play my disc version. Is that normal?

That's often happening with me and discs, especially newer games

Bazooka

Quote from: magval on October 03, 2020, 12:49:49 PM

That's small fry.

magval

Just spent an unbroken 30 minutes getting a 100% on like the ninth or tenth level. I think I love this game.

buttgammon

This is difficult but in the best possible way. I'm getting frustrated at times but still enjoying the game play. Some of the new features like rope swinging and the sliding bits are great, and the dimensiom-shifting bits add a new layer of complexity too.

magval

It's very like Guacamelee, which in turn was very like a load of other games, but the dimension shift platforming in particular in a lovely nab.

The
Spoiler alert
'Fury Road'
[close]
world was unexpected too.

Clownbaby

Quote from: magval on October 03, 2020, 03:45:48 PM
It's very like Guacamelee, which in turn was very like a load of other games, but the dimension shift platforming in particular in a lovely nab.

The
Spoiler alert
'Fury Road'
[close]
world was unexpected too.

I love Guacamelee so I couldn't be more glad

Seems like Crash Bandicoot is having a lovely second wind, like Rayman did with Origins and Legends. I really hope we see a new Rayman. No sign of it though. A new Rayman and a new Silent Hill would be fab

Kelvin

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 03, 2020, 04:51:17 PM
I love Guacamelee so I couldn't be more glad

Seems like Crash Bandicoot is having a lovely second wind, like Rayman did with Origins and Legends. I really hope we see a new Rayman. No sign of it though. A new Rayman and a new Silent Hill would be fab

Might be a while. The creator of Rayman just left Ubisoft, coincidently days before accusations of his workplace abuse came to light.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Kelvin on October 03, 2020, 05:35:23 PM
Might be a while. The creator of Rayman just left Ubisoft, coincidently days before accusations of his workplace abuse came to light.

Fuck's sake. It seems like every game franchise turns out to be horribly run by the big one in charge. I've always thought he seemed like a very specific and perfectionist bloke about his games. That's only a good thing of course if you're not a cunt to your staff as well. This behind-the-scenes burnout and borderline game staff slavery culture needs to fuck off. Reading into this all some more because I somehow have only just found out about it now. Seems like your standard mismanagement development hell stuff. The lad's set up an animal sanctuary now and seems to have fucked off Beyond Good And Evil 2 which I wasn't bothered about to be fair, because I haven't even played the first one.

Nae more Rayman then, fair enough

Bazooka

I'd turn a blind eye to abuse at Konami for a new Silent Hill to be honest

madhair60

I can only get through a couple of levels of this at a time before I fall asleep. I'm not joking - I don't know what it is, but this game sends me to sleep. It's not even about the quality of the game really - something in the visuals, I think. I don't know. Sleepy game...

It's not a patch on the originals at all. A celebration of point-missing, really.

C_Larence

Quote from: Kelvin on October 03, 2020, 05:35:23 PM

Does that mean no Beyond Good & Evil 2?

Clownbaby

Quote from: C_Larence on October 03, 2020, 09:10:29 PM
Does that mean no Beyond Good & Evil 2?

Seems like the drama was happening during the development of that game because of a creative mess and poor management so looks like it aye

Thursday

Ancel said development was going to carry on in that window where he'd left but before the story's about his abuse had come out, so it wouldn't necessarily change that.

Honestly I hardly even care as I'm not even sure what Beyond Good and Evil 2 actually is or was intended to be and I'm not sure they know, but it's basically going to have very little of what people actually liked about the original game. They seem to have invested a huge amount into it though, and it might actually help if it's not being managed by a "temperamental genius[nb]cunt[/nb]" Although they might not have anyone not like that at Ubisoft.

magval

Completely reversed my opinion on this game and flogged it. Perhaps its legacy is it seems to have fueled the fire of madhair's latest strip in HS Art.

BRen

Yeah, I'm also really disappointed with Crash 4, I was looking forward to it loads and it's just a bit of a mess. Main issue is the difficulty from the get-go, I'm not adverse to a challenge or 'difficult' games, but I am when it starts right at the beginning of the game and doesn't let up and just seems a bit too punishing/sadistic to be a Crash Bandicoot game. If I get stuck I just end up turning it off in exasperation, nowhere in it does it feature that challenging but addictive gameplay of the original trilogy, or even the N. Sane Trilogy for that matter.

Bazooka

I do think it's good of Nintendo to add the gold tanooki suit etc to some of their platformers if you continuously die, not that I use it because I'm a l33t gamer 4 life, but it adds accessibility to many people that games can alienate.

Thursday

My memory of Crash was that it was mostly fairly casual although not easy and the most difficult parts were in secret areas that were like "Do a Belly Flop on this one specific platform to find it." So it's interesting to hear that people are finding it very hard.