Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:47:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bbc corona info for googoo gaga infants

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, October 02, 2020, 08:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54387057

QuoteIt's easy to feel lost in the mass of coronavirus data, but overall the story is very simple.

Cases are going up. It's not as bad as March. Things are better than anticipated two weeks ago.

Imagine the epidemic in the UK is a car and we're behind the wheel.

At the start of the year we had our foot to floor and the epidemic was rapidly picking up speed.

Lockdown was like slamming on the brakes. We slowed down, but without coming to a stop as we still had Covid cases.

We continued moving at a fairly steady speed over summer, but in early September we hit the accelerator again and cases started to shoot up.

The semi-positive news is it looks like we've eased off the accelerator a bit. We're still gaining speed, just not as much as feared a few weeks ago.

Christ

buttgammon

I swear Newsround used to be more intellectually robust than any BBC News these days.

BlodwynPig

Oh fucking hell. FUCKING HELL. I WARNED ALL OF YOU BUT YOU NEVER LISTENED ;)

GOOOOO GOOOOOO

GAHHHHHHH

"they make some good dramas, though"

idunnosomename

I used to like Stay Tooned with Tony Robinson

imitationleather

Bleeding Kansas

I'm confused. Why can't these fancy London journalists just give a simple explanation of things.

idunnosomename

Quote from: imitationleather on October 02, 2020, 08:51:28 PM

james o'brien and david schneider warn against it being replaced with the Mattel and Mars Bar Quick Energy Chocobot Hour

Captain Z

More proof that the bloody woke Marxist lefties that run this country of been spreading this virus by driving there cars too fast.

Imagine the epidemic in the UK is a car and we're behind the wheel.

Zetetic

I'd have no issue whatsoever with an aggressively simplified discussion of what we know about the spread of the disease in the last few months. I appreciate I'm frequently found obtuse, but that's not because I actually prize being a stiflingly waffling prick.

The car metaphor is baffling and unhelpful.

Sin Agog

"Remember you're a passenger in the car called Great Britain and the job of every passenger is to make sure the driver has the time and space to focus on the road.  There will doubtless be a few bumps in the road, but the driver will navigate over them with assurance because they love their car and its passengers.  The driver drives better when the driver is relaxed.  If the driver asks you to unbuckle your belt, bend down under the wheel and suck away his stress, you will do what the driver says.  With one flick of his hand the driver can careen the entire vehicle and its contents off the Dartford-Thurrock River Crossing."

thenoise

Quote from: Zetetic on October 02, 2020, 09:00:53 PMThe car metaphor is baffling and unhelpful.

Yup. No idea why they thought that would be enlightening, or for whom.

BlodwynPig

JamesTC

Understanding the rate of spread of the coronavirus is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Driving a car can feel quite overwhelming, but there are ways of thinking about it that can help you understand what's going on.

Imagine that when you start the engine, you are taking a bat to a wet market in Wuhan.

When you put your foot down on the accelerator you are contributing to the spread of a new mutation of the SARS virus and when you press on the brakes you are wearing a mask and gathering outdoors in a group of 6 or fewer. 

The semi-positive news is that you've passed your driving test but the flipside is that you've been responsible for the death of over a million people.

Zetetic

Quote from: thenoise on October 03, 2020, 03:45:45 PM
Yup. No idea why they thought that would be enlightening, or for whom.
I'm beginning to conclude that many journalists are utterly unable to think about quantities other than in the context of looking at one or two numbers.

Possibly extremely anxious about trying to do so, and so unable to engage at all unless whatever they're looking into is described in a manner that's thoroughly disconnected from the actual information.

One of the major healthcare journalists in my country - whose only real line of inquiry seems to be whether this or that person will resign - described a table of perhaps 100 numbers showing a single day's COVID-19 positive tests, deaths and so on as an "at a glance view". I don't really know what to make of that, or move such a person on.

(I do, sometimes, in the course of my work, work with people with substantial maths anxiety and terrible self-appraisal of maths skills. But these are generally people who actually have to make good sense of data-over-time everyday and perform a fair amount of mental arithmetic and sense-checking to avoid killing people, so there's usually quite a lot to work with in terms of showing them that they're far more capable than they might believe.)

notjosh

idunnosomename

Quote from: JamesTC on October 03, 2020, 06:36:24 PM
Understanding the rate of spread of the coronavirus is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.
these are pretty hard to write i've realised when i've tried to casually spoof it before

BlodwynPig

H-O-W-L

It's not something you just dump something on, it's not a big truck.

Pinball

I'd like a new car, preferably a luxury automatic with tinted windows and a good sound system. Will need a payment plan, preferably deferred until I'm dead. Which may not be long given the way this country is driving.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on October 03, 2020, 07:05:29 PM
Driving a car can feel quite overwhelming, but there are ways of thinking about it that can help you understand what's going on.

Imagine that when you start the engine, you are taking a bat to a wet market in Wuhan.

When you put your foot down on the accelerator you are contributing to the spread of a new mutation of the SARS virus and when you press on the brakes you are wearing a mask and gathering outdoors in a group of 6 or fewer.

The semi-positive news is that you've passed your driving test but the flipside is that you've been responsible for the death of over a million people.

+111111

Cloud

To be fair, people are pretty thick.  Any ELI5 style attempt to get things through their skulls is understandable.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: buttgammon on October 02, 2020, 08:29:03 PM
I swear Newsround used to be more intellectually robust than any BBC News these days.

The price of an ice cream cone will be going up to 3 new pence as a result of a new law being introduced by the minister for prices.

Dr Rock

Imagine the virus was a very big tube of smarties, and the UK was a paddling pool, slowly filling up with smarties, (which is the coronavirus, remember). And the lockdown was a gang of monkeys who ate most of the smarities out of the pool. That's basically what happened.

idunnosomename

Look at this smug posh cunt, writing baby bollocks on our licence fee

Yes proles, its a bit like a brumbrum car. Poop poop!

I was trying to find out which college he made his mates at, and found what a repeatedly shit client journalist he is.

Formal complaint here on the bbcs lazy client reporting of whatever the SMC tells them to
https://meassociation.org.uk/2016/11/formal-complaint-from-the-countess-of-mar-to-bbc-director-general-about-coverage-of-the-fitnet-story-13-november-2016/

And uh. In the pocket of big nuts
https://badpr.co.uk/tag/james-gallagher/