Author Topic: The very, very best House music thread  (Read 1665 times)

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
Re: The very, very best House music thread
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
I hesitate to serve this up among so many classics, but here's one of mine from this year. It's a deep/jazzy number with live bass, sax etc so if that sounds like your bag, I'd appreciate a listen. I had MAW, Kerri Chandler, mid to late 90s NYC type stuff in mind when I made it.

https://soundcloud.com/wardnermusic/gradient-redux?ref=clipboard&p=a&c=1

That's good, super smooth and reminded me of that early 2000's Body & Soul Joe Claussell/Francois Kervorkian sound. The live instruments are beautifully recorded and I really liked the processing on the timbales?!? Is nice and spacey.

Non Stop Dancer

• Nice apple tart
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2020, 10:00:37 PM »
That's good, super smooth and reminded me of that early 2000's Body & Soul Joe Claussell/Francois Kervorkian sound. The live instruments are beautifully recorded and I really liked the processing on the timbales?!? Is nice and spacey.
Thanks, that means a lot. I basically tried to make something that would fit into one of my 90s (bedroom) DJ sets alongside those kinds of producers. I can't take too much credit for the bass, sax and rythym guitar as they were all done remotely by session musicians on Fiverr. That site's a bit of a game changer for me as it's always been my dream to have access to session musicians. There are 3 countries involved in that track!

Captain Z

• CABBALD
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2020, 10:29:51 PM »
Thanks, that means a lot. I basically tried to make something that would fit into one of my 90s (bedroom) DJ sets alongside those kinds of producers. I can't take too much credit for the bass, sax and rythym guitar as they were all done remotely by session musicians on Fiverr. That site's a bit of a game changer for me as it's always been my dream to have access to session musicians. There are 3 countries involved in that track!

That's very interesting. What do you provide them with - a guide/demo/MIDI track, written music, or just instruct them to improvise along in any way they feel?

Non Stop Dancer

• Nice apple tart
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2020, 07:01:49 PM »
That's very interesting. What do you provide them with - a guide/demo/MIDI track, written music, or just instruct them to improvise along in any way they feel?
For that one I had the drums and keys to start with. Sent it to the bassist with a few examples on YouTube of the kind of thing I was looking for but said just have a crack and see how you get on. Went back and forth a couple of times to say "a bit more like this" etc. Then had the guitarist do the same, followed by the sax, then spent ages rearranging stuff, adding bits of percussion, synth layers etc. The rhythm guitar was supposed to be a more integral part of it but it was badly recorded so ended up getting someone else to play it, but it was a bit much so tacked it onto the end. On other tracks I've written my own bassline but not happy with it so just asked for something similar but more varied etc just had a look and the whole lot set me back £80. The real pros on there charge upwards of a hundred for a short phrase or whatever, but there are plenty of new starters on there who charge a lot less to get their profile up.

Tags: