Author Topic: Hard Cheese  (Read 1613 times)

Pingers

• Just a twat off the internet
  • Golden Member
  • Get on that!
Re: Hard Cheese
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »
Have you had a proper, mature Russian single in your area Red Leicester? That's a great hard cheese.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
Terry Thomas doesn't consider rewrite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Unexpected item in stagging area
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »
Have you had a proper, mature Russian single in your area Red Leicester? That's a great hard cheese.

Morrisons do sell Red Fox, a seemingly proper Red Leicester, which I enjoyed, but I can imagine others scoffing at. I enjoy really mature cheddar (some formulations are genuinely revolting though) and so finding a Red Leicester that wasn't glowing orange baby food was nice.

Blue Jam

• Subpar Wolf
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
Shoulders, someone who enjoys beer as much as you do should really try some beer and cheese pairings. That's actually my plan for tonight. You've been missing out.

Incidentally I like pretty much all cheese except the mild plastic stuff and the brie-types cheeses with the stench of drains and the consistency of melting rubber.

Think my favourites have to be goat goada, Lancashire Bomb and, just to be boring, a nice strong cheddar like Black Bomber.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2020, 09:33:30 PM »
I don't think my cheese tastes are as... dilated as my beer ones. I must admit I am working outwards from a narrow core.

I tend to, at home anyway, have cheese and crackers later on with a beer. So I have done it but not with massive focus paid on what with. I don't have enough money/eat enough cheese to have more than one pricey one on the go in any one week.

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2020, 11:36:09 PM »
sorry, did I JUST hera SOMEONE slagging off MY MATE comté ??

NIGBOS WITCHDOCTORS are preparing to END

H-O-W-L

• Front Toward Enemy
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2020, 11:38:55 PM »
Been really getting into my artisanal butters lately.

I don't think we need to know about your bowels.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2020, 11:43:52 PM »
sorry, did I JUST hera SOMEONE slagging off MY MATE comté ??

NIGBOS WITCHDOCTORS are preparing to END

It's tasty but the faint honk of adolescent precum wanksock gone stale in a hessian sack Frenchy element is a level above I can either tolerate or understand.

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2020, 12:01:02 AM »
NUTTINESS

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2020, 09:17:51 PM »
I use Boursin Garlic & Herbs soft cheese with a bit of cheddar to make a nice light mushroom dish. Break the stalks off the mushrooms (save them to use chopped up in a sauce or something) and fill the cavity with the Boursin. Put the mushrooms on a baking tray, cavity side up, and lay a thin slice of cheddar over each one. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or so. Goes very well with a bit of crusty bread and a case of white wine.

Blue Jam

• Subpar Wolf
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »
Just had some smoked Gubbeen and some smoked Mrs Kirkham's Lancashire. Great with a salted soft pretzel or some thin wheat crackers and a Belgian beer.

As an accompaniment to beer, smoked hard cheeses are the way to go.

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »
I second the smoked cheese with beer recommendation. Smoked Bavarian cheese and salami on a toasted bagel is one of my favourite accompaniments to a few pints of cold pilsner.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2020, 09:48:21 PM »
Did that recipe last saturday and it was very nice, cheers for the tip!

Glad you liked it!

seepage

• logical bassoon
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2020, 07:19:02 PM »
Morrisons do sell Red Fox, a seemingly proper Red Leicester, which I enjoyed, but I can imagine others scoffing at.

Red Fox is OK. Every time I've had the posh Sparkenhoe stuff it was far too 'rindy' (i.e. bloody mouldy) for me.

Another good hard 'un: Swaledale Ewe.

a good softie: Flower Marie (although silly expensive last time I bought it)

buttgammon

• How thick is wall?
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »
Has anyone ever tried Monte Enebro? It's not a hard cheese but it's an interesting, slightly weird one. My girlfriend is obsessed with it; I like it but only in small doses. This is the specific one we get (they're not wrong about it going well with quince paste) https://sheridanscheesemongers.com/product/monte-enebro/

Just had some smoked Gubbeen and some smoked Mrs Kirkham's Lancashire. Great with a salted soft pretzel or some thin wheat crackers and a Belgian beer.

As an accompaniment to beer, smoked hard cheeses are the way to go.

Smoked Gubbeen is great - my favourite Irish cheese and definitely great with a Belgian beer.

Tags: