Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hard Cheese

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, October 02, 2020, 10:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingers

Have you had a proper, mature Russian single in your area Red Leicester? That's a great hard cheese.

Shit Good Nose

Terry Thomas doesn't consider rewrite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Pingers on October 16, 2020, 04:28:16 PM
Have you had a proper, mature Russian single in your area Red Leicester? That's a great hard cheese.

Morrisons do sell Red Fox, a seemingly proper Red Leicester, which I enjoyed, but I can imagine others scoffing at. I enjoy really mature cheddar (some formulations are genuinely revolting though) and so finding a Red Leicester that wasn't glowing orange baby food was nice.

Blue Jam

Shoulders, someone who enjoys beer as much as you do should really try some beer and cheese pairings. That's actually my plan for tonight. You've been missing out.

Incidentally I like pretty much all cheese except the mild plastic stuff and the brie-types cheeses with the stench of drains and the consistency of melting rubber.

Think my favourites have to be goat goada, Lancashire Bomb and, just to be boring, a nice strong cheddar like Black Bomber.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't think my cheese tastes are as... dilated as my beer ones. I must admit I am working outwards from a narrow core.

I tend to, at home anyway, have cheese and crackers later on with a beer. So I have done it but not with massive focus paid on what with. I don't have enough money/eat enough cheese to have more than one pricey one on the go in any one week.

pancreas

sorry, did I JUST hera SOMEONE slagging off MY MATE comté ??

NIGBOS WITCHDOCTORS are preparing to END

H-O-W-L

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 15, 2020, 01:28:46 PM
Been really getting into my artisanal butters lately.

I don't think we need to know about your bowels.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: pancreas on October 16, 2020, 11:36:09 PM
sorry, did I JUST hera SOMEONE slagging off MY MATE comté ??

NIGBOS WITCHDOCTORS are preparing to END

It's tasty but the faint honk of adolescent precum wanksock gone stale in a hessian sack Frenchy element is a level above I can either tolerate or understand.

pancreas

I use Boursin Garlic & Herbs soft cheese with a bit of cheddar to make a nice light mushroom dish. Break the stalks off the mushrooms (save them to use chopped up in a sauce or something) and fill the cavity with the Boursin. Put the mushrooms on a baking tray, cavity side up, and lay a thin slice of cheddar over each one. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or so. Goes very well with a bit of crusty bread and a case of white wine.

Blue Jam

Just had some smoked Gubbeen and some smoked Mrs Kirkham's Lancashire. Great with a salted soft pretzel or some thin wheat crackers and a Belgian beer.

As an accompaniment to beer, smoked hard cheeses are the way to go.

I second the smoked cheese with beer recommendation. Smoked Bavarian cheese and salami on a toasted bagel is one of my favourite accompaniments to a few pints of cold pilsner.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on October 15, 2020, 04:55:56 PM
Did that recipe last saturday and it was very nice, cheers for the tip!

Glad you liked it!

seepage

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 16, 2020, 05:55:54 PM
Morrisons do sell Red Fox, a seemingly proper Red Leicester, which I enjoyed, but I can imagine others scoffing at.

Red Fox is OK. Every time I've had the posh Sparkenhoe stuff it was far too 'rindy' (i.e. bloody mouldy) for me.

Another good hard 'un: Swaledale Ewe.

a good softie: Flower Marie (although silly expensive last time I bought it)

buttgammon

Has anyone ever tried Monte Enebro? It's not a hard cheese but it's an interesting, slightly weird one. My girlfriend is obsessed with it; I like it but only in small doses. This is the specific one we get (they're not wrong about it going well with quince paste) https://sheridanscheesemongers.com/product/monte-enebro/

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 17, 2020, 09:39:05 PM
Just had some smoked Gubbeen and some smoked Mrs Kirkham's Lancashire. Great with a salted soft pretzel or some thin wheat crackers and a Belgian beer.

As an accompaniment to beer, smoked hard cheeses are the way to go.

Smoked Gubbeen is great - my favourite Irish cheese and definitely great with a Belgian beer.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on October 17, 2020, 09:17:51 PM
I use Boursin Garlic & Herbs soft cheese with a bit of cheddar to make a nice light mushroom dish. Break the stalks off the mushrooms (save them to use chopped up in a sauce or something) and fill the cavity with the Boursin. Put the mushrooms on a baking tray, cavity side up, and lay a thin slice of cheddar over each one. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or so. Goes very well with a bit of crusty bread and a case of white wine.

Thanks Man of Steel, we did this at the weekend and it were dead easy and dead tasty. Probably didnt have enough wine though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAnother good hard 'un: Swaledale Ewe.

Cheers, will look into this.

sirhenry

Another vote for Mahon/Menorcan cheese.

And in a different vein, I'm surprised that no-one has suggested Wensleydale, a gorgeous tangy Yorkshire cheese.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Brian Freeze on December 04, 2020, 02:20:34 PM
Thanks Man of Steel, we did this at the weekend and it were dead easy and dead tasty. Probably didnt have enough wine though.

I'm glad to hear it. Yes, you really can't skimp on the wine. For me it's got to be a nice case of Blue Nun or, when I feel like breaking the rules, a sharp Vietnamese red.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on October 17, 2020, 09:17:51 PM
I use Boursin Garlic & Herbs soft cheese with a bit of cheddar to make a nice light mushroom dish.

Boursin is about 90% cream isn't it? That must be why it's so nice.

You're probably right. Also, if I don't maintain a high fat diet I tend to lose one of my chins and can no longer hear my heartbeat thumping in my ears.

seepage

Baron Bigod ordered for Christmas - yay!

hamfist

Flavoured with a particular type of clover, Ziger is a very unique tasting cheese. Smells crazy strong, tastes crazy strong. You can mix it with butter to spread on bread (Zigerbrüütli) or grate it into macaroni with lots of fried onions and browned butter (Zigerhörnli). This stuff is the specialty of the valley my dad grew up in.

Got something called Singleton's Parlick from the supermarket - a ewe's milk cheese from Lancashire. Nice and creamy and nutty, without being cloying. Would buy again.

touchingcloth

Found a beautiful local cheese at the market recently called Cathedral City. It's a bit like cheddar, but you can imagine an abbot eating it.

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 04, 2020, 10:07:50 PM
Found a beautiful local cheese at the market recently called Cathedral City. It's a bit like cheddar, but you can imagine an abbot eating it.

Russ?

badaids

Comté is an amazing french cheese but the most best disgusting french cheese is Salers.  The really mature ones look and smell like chunks of decaying feet.  It reeks like a bait box full of maggots.  It's not really strong odour, but the whiff is so wrong in nature that it's frightening.

I'll never forget my first taste of Stinking Bishop.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Moliterno tartuffo - a fine pecorino with truffle. Love a bit of it at Christmas.