Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:41:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Female Vocalist 70s Prog

Started by MortSahlFan, October 04, 2020, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on October 08, 2020, 12:28:33 AM
If you can include jazz fusion in the bracket then Seawind are a must. Brassy, sassy vocals courtesy of a half Hawaiian/Filipino. What is jazz fusion if not a proggier version of funk(or funkier version of prog)?

I'm on this, thanks!

shh

Gong, Aksak Maboul, Art Bears, Zao, Magma, Eskaton come to mind, probably to a greater or lesser degree with female vocalists. Couple of Hatfield tracks I think? Popul Vuh Hosianna Mantra. The Sun Also Rises (more folky tbh, but of the Comus type).

some examples
Zao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVZ60B7HBVc

Eskaton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6U3tpLNeU

SAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-cEoavSock

MortSahlFan

While I was halfway through this thread, after one song finished, a recommendation came up, and I found two fine albums

Yoshiko Sai (her album from 1975 is awesome, too)
https://youtu.be/fmnco7CKoYo

chveik

BlodwynPig

French female fronted prog that I've just discovered, epic neo-proggish

Arrakeen

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 17, 2020, 12:28:10 PM
French female fronted prog that I've just discovered, epic neo-proggish

Arrakeen

Blodders, we're into the 1970s period in Jamie's Alternative History of 'pop' thread. Join us. chveik et al too

MortSahlFan

Here's a good one I just found.. The youtube photo looks like a guy, but the singer is a female.. Beautiful alto operatic voice, with some nice piano, and changes you would expect from any prog-rock band... 1979.... Serbian (I believe)

ILUMINACIJA_-_MIKI_PETKOVSKI_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ZRREs1rmo

MortSahlFan

badaids

This clip of Curved Air performing Backstreet Luv live must hve ben posted on here a hundred time but it's an astonishing performance.

Twit 2

What makes it "astonishing"? Genuine question.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 20, 2022, 07:20:47 AMWhat makes it "astonishing"? Genuine question.

Justify your subjective opinion.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 20, 2022, 07:20:47 AMWhat makes it "astonishing"? Genuine question.

I heard this version first. When I heard the one on the album, it was a little slower, not as much life as the live one he posted, which is my favorite version out of the handfuls I've heard.

willbo

always wanted to get into Renaissance

my (female) neighbour sung in a prog band in the 70s or 80s. I forgot which one though, not one I'd heard of but they had records on discogs when i googled them. 

MortSahlFan

Quote from: willbo on April 21, 2022, 06:47:39 PMalways wanted to get into Renaissance

my (female) neighbour sung in a prog band in the 70s or 80s. I forgot which one though, not one I'd heard of but they had records on discogs when i googled them. 

Sounds ironic, but my favorites of theirs is "Kiev" and "Mother Russia".

If you like them, check out Illusion's two albums. It's basically the same band, except Jane Relf sings instead of Annie Haslem, who I like, but is a bit too operatic, while Jane Relf is one of my favorite singers.

MortSahlFan

(damn great song!)

Brother Ah - Far Away

BlodwynPig

Quote from: willbo on April 21, 2022, 06:47:39 PMalways wanted to get into Renaissance

CMon, remember! If 80s too it narrows it down unless she moved between bands. Neo prog band? Not many females in that genre. Glass Hammer?

another Mr. Lizard

poodlefaker

Sunset Glow by Julie Tippetts (1975). Re-released last year so it's on Spotify at last. Conceived as an answer record to her mate Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom. Ruddy marvellous.

willbo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 07, 2023, 06:18:33 AMCMon, remember! If 80s too it narrows it down unless she moved between bands. Neo prog band? Not many females in that genre. Glass Hammer?

she was in Solstice, possibly only as a back up singer/one of a singing group

BlodwynPig

Quote from: willbo on February 07, 2023, 04:25:04 PMshe was in Solstice, possibly only as a back up singer/one of a singing group

Ah Solstice! Not aware they had backing vocalists. Have their first on LP but its a bit weak.

Fonz

Annette Peacock. On Bruford's 'Feels Good to Me'. She was on the Rock Goes to College broadcast too, which you can still get on dvd

willbo