Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:13:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bottom thread

Started by dead-ced-dead, October 05, 2020, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead-ced-dead

I've been re-watching Bottom and I feel it holds up really, really well.

The slapstick is second to only the likes of Chaplin and Keaton and the gross out stuff makes me feel like I'm a pre-teen boy again chuckling at nob gags and farting.

famethrowa

Rik shatting himself in his Halloween stockings and rearranging them awkwardly. Top comedy moment, no-one else could do it

ASFTSN

It's probably the greatest sitcom there is, for me.

famethrowa

Oh and the closing theme has been my ringtone ever since such a thing was possible (~15 years?)

Wait for it to burst.

Wait for it to burst.

Wait for it to burst.

Shit.

Lemming

Best comedy ever made.

"Eddie. This isn't just a 'tent'. THIS is the WORLD RANGER STORM BUSTER IV. You can go ANYWHERE in that."
"Yeah, and we probably will as soon as the breeze picks up."

dead-ced-dead

What're those two hairy things poking out of the hedge?

Those are just a pair of bollocks... PUT YA TROUSERS BACK ON!

zomgmouse

smudge1971

The very first episode, Richie's monologue about being alone of a weekend and all those lasses wanting a passionate seeing-to but their fellas are fed up plugging the same gap and want to watch the snooker, that rings true for so many people. Yet it's also hilarious.
You can tell that they were never just comedians who 'act'. They were always great at drama as that came first in their careers.
  Of course it helped that Ade was a fantastic comedy performer and that Rik was a true genius as well as a fcp.

Lemming

Mandatory post in praise of Rik's micro-acting.

When he's threatening the old woman in the store in 'S Up, he does this little snivelling, cowardly look back to make sure Eddie isn't looking, and that there'll be no witnesses, and then threatens her with his fist concealed in front of his own body. Pure vile cowardice, love it.

Also, one of my favourite moments of all time, the chop from Holy. Look at the way he's looking everywhere EXCEPT the area he's swinging the cleaver towards at breakneck speed, and then look at the split-second before he registers the pain and horror. Still grinning maniacally in his cooking-induced euphoria for a moment before reality sinks in. And the way he puts his entire fucking upper body into the cleaver swing, there's so much funny shit in a window of literally about three seconds.

ASFTSN

That can be the king.

Well it has to be doesn't it? It's brown sauce.

DigForVictory

I know it's been said many times on here before but Rik Mayall is just the absolute best.

You cannot take your eyes off him for a second because he's fucking hilarious just standing there. There's so many tiny  little things he'll do that can make you laugh.

I honestly can't think of anybody who was as good as he was.

It's a testament to how good Ade is too that he's also brilliant in Bottom and gets loads of great lines and laughs, a lot of other comedians would have just been completely overshadowed by Rik.

Favourite bit? Rik falling down the stairs dressed as Kilroy. The first time I saw that I laughed so much I was in pain by the end.

JaDanketies

The chemistry and timing shared by Ade and Rik is up there with Torvill and Dean.

I remember it was one of the first 'naughty' things that I was shown by my dad, and really, it is fun for anyone from 8 to 138. Transcends the generations.

markburgle

Quote from: Lemming on October 05, 2020, 12:39:08 PM
Best comedy ever made.

"Eddie. This isn't just a 'tent'. THIS is the WORLD RANGER STORM BUSTER IV. You can go ANYWHERE in that."
"Yeah, and we probably will as soon as the breeze picks up."

Very judicious use of "4" there. Very funny number

AsparagusTrevor

'Gas' is one of my favourite episodes of a sitcom

Eddie: Why don't we stick him on a bus?
Richie: No, no good, the conductor would notice when he didn't pay his fare.
Eddie: No no, why don't we stick him ON a bus?
Richie: Because the conductor would notice when he didn't pay his fare.
Eddie: I mean on the roof!
Richie: You don't get conductors on the roof!

And 'Holy' is probably my favourite Christmas episode of anything (with 'It's Always Sunny At Christmas' not far behind)

Dirty Boy

Gas is one of the funniest half hours of comedy i've almost cacked myself to[nb]along with the Drugs ep of Brass Eye and 15 Storeys Blue Rat.[/nb]
"Nice trousers. They remind me a story. Quite a long story, lasts about 10 minutes. Once there was a huuuuge forest... and in the forest..... lived some trousers... called Dave."

Someone post a gif of Richies face when Eddie comes in drunk in Burglary.

Dirty Boy

^^bugger. I'll change it to Parade then

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor
It's the noise he makes before he says this.

Bazooka

The unsung heroes of the show are the Foley artists, just wonderful sounds of testicles crunching, eyes squelching and bones splintering. 

Lemming

Quote from: Dirty Boy on October 05, 2020, 02:01:51 PM
Someone post a gif of Richies face when Eddie comes in drunk in Burglary.

ASFTSN

Props to Brian Glover (RIP) for his portrayal of Mr Rottweiler, I always wished he was in more than one appearance as he's brilliant.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: ASFTSN on October 05, 2020, 02:18:58 PM
Props to Brian Glover (RIP) for his portrayal of Mr Rottweiler, I always wished he was in more than one appearance as he's brilliant.

"He's a nice enough man."
"Well now that's true."
*Rings doorbell*
"WOT IS IT!?"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lemming on October 05, 2020, 12:59:10 PM
Mandatory post in praise of Rik's micro-acting.

When he's threatening the old woman in the store in 'S Up, he does this little snivelling, cowardly look back to make sure Eddie isn't looking, and that there'll be no witnesses, and then threatens her with his fist concealed in front of his own body. Pure vile cowardice, love it.

Also, one of my favourite moments of all time, the chop from Holy. Look at the way he's looking everywhere EXCEPT the area he's swinging the cleaver towards at breakneck speed, and then look at the split-second before he registers the pain and horror. Still grinning maniacally in his cooking-induced euphoria for a moment before reality sinks in. And the way he puts his entire fucking upper body into the cleaver swing, there's so much funny shit in a window of literally about three seconds.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 05, 2020, 02:26:45 PM
"He's a nice enough man."
"Well now that's true."
*Rings doorbell*
"WOT IS IT!?"

The delivery of "IF I SEE EITHER OF YOU AGAIN TONIGHT, I'LL KILL YOU!" is wonderful.

Also, "Not much of a game, is it?"

markburgle

He definitely nicked (and put to good use) his tight little "damn you've caught me out" expression from Eric Morecambe didn't he?

https://youtu.be/oWzShElgcqM?t=178
https://youtu.be/uMPEUcVyJsc?t=93

ASFTSN

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 05, 2020, 04:40:07 PM
The delivery of "IF I SEE EITHER OF YOU AGAIN TONIGHT, I'LL KILL YOU!" is wonderful.

It is. Also love the fantastic little detail of him taking a brick to the head while asleep and lovingly crooning "Me too" in his sleep.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: famethrowa on October 05, 2020, 11:25:52 AM
Rik shatting himself in his Halloween stockings and rearranging them awkwardly. Top comedy moment, no-one else could do it

Eddie's banana costume always gets me, but then again I am a sucker for people dressed as food.

BeardFaceMan

Does anyone know if the scripts for series 4 were written or if it was just Rik & Ade wanting to do a 4th series and the Beeb saying no? Some scripts from unseen shows would be fucking ace, obviously the violence and squalor are a big part of the comedy but people often forget how wordy Bottom could be and the amount of gags in there, the episodes work great in script form.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 05, 2020, 01:57:19 PM
'Gas' is one of my favourite episodes of a sitcom

Eddie: Why don't we stick him on a bus?
Richie: No, no good, the conductor would notice when he didn't pay his fare.
Eddie: No no, why don't we stick him ON a bus?
Richie: Because the conductor would notice when he didn't pay his fare.
Eddie: I mean on the roof!
"You must! You must! You must drink our tea! It's the best tea in London! Sit down and drink it! For about... twelve minutes!"

You know, there is not a single dud episode in all of Bottom. I defy anybody to name one. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it and I'd still happily watch it all the way through. Much as I wish there were more episodes, I'm kinda glad there aren't? It would be such a shame if we lived in a dimension where fans could say "Yeah the first three series were great but four was only okay and they were clearly out of ideas by series five."

DrGreggles

I think there are signs of decline in series 3, but it's still bloody funny for the most part - and contains my favourite episode ('Hole').

idunnosomename

Quote from: ASFTSN on October 05, 2020, 02:18:58 PM
well I mean he was a fucking good actor isn't he? wonder how they got him. don't think he did any other comedy stuff actually (except Alien 3! arf!)

series 3 has some shit but it also has Hole, which is a wonderful bottle episode, one of the best of the genre

but why were the live shows so unfunny for the most part, that's what I never understand