Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek - Voyager

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 05, 2020, 01:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

The more I think about it the more it would have been better if Chakotay spent the entire Voyager run just playing golf on the hollodeck

dr_christian_troy

Do you reckon if Neelix made it to DS9, Odo would have told him to fuck off? He'd have probably ended up working for Quark who would barely tolerate him.

I hope the voice (if not the visual) of Robert Picardo turns up somewhere in Picard Season 2.

Deanjam

Picardo could play Zimmerman on Picard. He could have a new storyline where he's the leader of a secret (they love secret cults) cult of Holograms bent on wiping out humans. Then Patrick Stewart could stab him in the face and his last words could be "Picard ... oh."

Malcy

Picardo said he had been approached for Picard not long before the 1st series had aired. If anything now I could see him turning up in Prodigy.

oy vey

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on April 01, 2021, 02:50:58 PM
Do you reckon if Neelix made it to DS9, Odo would have told him to fuck off? He'd have probably ended up working for Quark who would barely tolerate him.

Odo: I don't suppose you know what happened to Mr. Neelix?
Garak: It's best not to dwell on such minutae.

Malcy

The end of Neelix story always bugged me. I get it from a character point of view though. Seeming him reacquaint himself with VOY characters in Online is great though. Tuvok's little dance is absolute minimum effort though.effort

Deanjam

Quote from: Malcy on April 01, 2021, 05:41:02 PM
Tuvok's little dance is absolute minimum effort though

I actually liked that moment. They generally held back on Tuvok going over the top emotionally, like a lot a Vulcans do in Trek (apparently down to Tim Russ taking the part very seriously), so such a small gesture meant a lot. I think Neelix's farewell was much more moving than the rest of the crew.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on April 01, 2021, 12:17:18 PM
On topic: I just noticed a mistake in the rather good Voyager episode Coda, where Janeway apparently dies and has a vision of her father, an Admiral. He supposedly died years earlier, prior to S1 of TNG, and indeed he seems to be wearing an older-style Admiral's uniform. But he's wearing the Voyager-era comm badge and not the TNG one! I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

Whoops! Well spotted. And Coda is rather a good ep, isn't it? Not seen it for a while but I have positive memories of that one.

Quote from: JamesTC on March 31, 2021, 04:44:16 PM
The first few seasons of TNG indicate that the holodeck is new but both TAS and a few Voyager episodes indicate that holodecks have been around for a fair bit longer. Off the top of my head it was one of the Naomi Wildman episodes which had a character mention a holodeck programme they used as a child.

Quote from: Blumf on March 31, 2021, 05:05:40 PM
I suspect the holodeck has been under heavy development from the TOS/TAS era, where it was just a few steps up from those immersive sets they used on The Mandalorian, through TNG's yellow grid room, where it was totally interactive and fine grained (which is what surprises people there), onto VOY's holo-emitter tech that can be dotted about anywhere needed.

Saw some reviewer suggest they could have made the entire bridge of the ship in PIC holographic. So Picard could have sat down, muttered something about not being used to this modern setup, and reconfigured it with a TNG era LCARS layout and look. So much wasted potential from that show.

Good call! I think that was Harry Kim who could remember "Flotter" or whatever his name was from his own childhood. So if Harry is, say, 30, and his experiences with Flotter on the Holodeck were 20 years ago, would that place his childhood as pre-TNG or not? I am not sure.

The Holodeck History on Memory Alpha shows how messy this element is (though the only real fuck-up is unsurprisingly from Discovery): https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Holodeck#History

The TAS Rec Room tech is arguably a different proto-Holodeck thing. Memory Alpha says the effect was partly achieved with audio tapes!  https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Recreation_room

Regarding the thing about having a LCARS/TNG look in Picard. They could totally have done that. People keep saying "You want a TNG-style show but you can't have that anymore. TV isn't like that now." But isn't verisimilitude and authenticity constantly applauded in Stranger Things and the likes? Imagine the possibilities. You could totally do it right. People would fucking love it.

Malcy

Quote from: Deanjam on April 01, 2021, 05:48:26 PM
I actually liked that moment. They generally held back on Tuvok going over the top emotionally, like a lot a Vulcans do in Trek (apparently down to Tim Russ taking the part very seriously), so such a small gesture meant a lot. I think Neelix's farewell was much more moving than the rest of the crew.

It did but I always hoped for a little more. Mainly because he had been away from other Vulcans bar the guy in engineering(his name escapes me) and his kinky holodeck adventures. Reminds me of The Doctor's song.

It was uploaded in an AI 4K remaster but don't know how good it looked. Channels worth a follow for the intakes anyway.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y-BzYDO-gP8

Deanjam

Quote from: Malcy on April 01, 2021, 05:59:12 PM
the guy in engineering(his name escapes me)

Vorik. Bad actor who was COINCIDENTALLY the son of producer Jeri Taylor.

Deanjam

Quote from: Malcy on April 01, 2021, 05:59:12 PM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y-BzYDO-gP8

Picardo is so much fun. I've seen some of his cameos and his goes into a different routine for every one he does.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Deanjam on April 01, 2021, 06:02:44 PM

Ha I didn't know that.

I liked Tuvok a lot. Underrated character. The least childish of the male officers.

Wonderful Butternut

Tuvok is boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8-917vo9C8&ab_channel=XAngel228

He'd totally beat up Worf. And DS9 Worf at that, not TNG Worf who lost nearly every fight he had.

Mr Trumpet

Everyone's seen this right? Tim Russ's terrible/brilliant singing career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLhTEB7xM90

Wonderful Butternut

No, I hadn't.

His voice is fairly good, but he sounds permanently on the verge of being out of breath.

Malcy

Quote from: Deanjam on April 01, 2021, 06:02:44 PM

Cheers, never knew that or thought that he was overly terrible though.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ho647rp6Y7I

purlieu

Right, I'm starting on Voyager.

Caretaker. Other than the whole 'being trapped in the Delta Quadrant' aspect, and what a few of the characters look like, I didn't know a thing about the setup of the show going in. I remember enjoying it more than DS9 back when I was a kid, but that was probably because it felt more typically Star Trekky, ie no sitting around a bar on a Cardassian station chatting about things. So the actual setup, particularly the inclusion of the Maquis, was a definite surprise to me. I was disappointed that Quark (well, and Morn) was the only DS9 character to appear at first, I expected a tiny bit more in the way of a handover. The actual plot itself was decent, nicely weird at first with a reasonable conclusion. Other than setting up the possible future conflict with the Klingons II (can't remember what they're called just yet), and giving the crew a goal moving forward, there wasn't anything particularly special about the story, although I suppose setting up the main elements of the show are the most important aspect.
I thought Neelix was fine. We'll see how I feel about him further down the line. The rest of the crew are kind of perfunctory at the moment, although it's nice to have a Vulcan as a main character again, and I'm enjoying the Doctor's grumpiness. Looking forward to see how they develop over the coming days and weeks.

My girlfriend isn't completely sure yet, but is willing to give it a go (TNG and DS9 both took a couple of seasons to really get going so she's going to give it a chance), which means it'll be an episode a day thing at the minute. I'll give some thoughts after each story, will try to keep away from really obvious plot points in case anybody else is new to the show and happens to be watching at this point too.

oy vey

That was a quick break after the DS9 marathon. Better watch Caretaker then. Anyone else in on this? Keep it spoiler free and relive the delta quadrant one more time...

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: purlieu on April 01, 2021, 10:10:04 PM

Caretaker. Other than the whole 'being trapped in the Delta Quadrant' aspect, and what a few of the characters look like, I didn't know a thing about the setup of the show going in. I remember enjoying it more than DS9 back when I was a kid, but that was probably because it felt more typically Star Trekky, ie no sitting around a bar on a Cardassian station chatting about things. So the actual setup, particularly the inclusion of the Maquis, was a definite surprise to me. I was disappointed that Quark (well, and Morn) was the only DS9 character to appear at first, I expected a tiny bit more in the way of a handover. The actual plot itself was decent, nicely weird at first with a reasonable conclusion. Other than setting up the possible future conflict with the Klingons II (can't remember what they're called just yet), and giving the crew a goal moving forward, there wasn't anything particularly special about the story, although I suppose setting up the main elements of the show are the most important aspect.
I thought Neelix was fine. We'll see how I feel about him further down the line. The rest of the crew are kind of perfunctory at the moment, although it's nice to have a Vulcan as a main character again, and I'm enjoying the Doctor's grumpiness. Looking forward to see how they develop over the coming days and weeks.

My girlfriend isn't completely sure yet, but is willing to give it a go (TNG and DS9 both took a couple of seasons to really get going so she's going to give it a chance), which means it'll be an episode a day thing at the minute. I'll give some thoughts after each story, will try to keep away from really obvious plot points in case anybody else is new to the show and happens to be watching at this point too.

yes mate!

petril

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 01, 2021, 01:03:50 PM
The more I think about it the more it would have been better if Chakotay spent the entire Voyager run just playing golf on the hollodeck

a one-off episode where he just casually plays a few holes of a round. by himself. commentating on his technique as he goes. 43 minutes

Lemming

Fantastic, Voyager rewatch time!

Series 1 and 2 are a bit shaky, but there are some great episodes in the mix, Series 2 moreso.

Don't want to set you up to hate Neelix, but he really is fucking annoying, especially in the early series. Remember that his girlfriend is three years old every time they're on screen together.

Deanjam

Quote from: Lemming on April 01, 2021, 10:52:22 PM
Don't want to set you up to hate Neelix, but he really is fucking annoying, especially in the early series. Remember that his girlfriend is three years old every time they're on screen together.

Even worse, she's only one in the beginning. What where they thinking, especially as Jennifer Lien was only 19 and Ethan Philips was 40.

Caretaker's one of the better Trek pilots. Neelix is probably at his best in this, showing a bit of craftiness. I'll give my comments on individual episodes after people have watched them on here.

dr_christian_troy

I got as far as about a few episodes into Season 2 on my initial watch, and so will keep an eye on the updates here and tuck back in!

JamesTC

I'd say Caretaker is the best of the pilots. I believe it is also considerably the most expensive. Emissary is close behind but it just had much more to set up which meant it couldn't really be an exciting story in its own right. Broken Bow is also great. It is only really TNG which opens on a bit of a boring note.

purlieu

Encounter at Farpoint drags in places (mainly the actual Farpoint stuff), but I do like the Q stuff, it immediately sets it up as something bigger and darker than TOS. Doesn't massively live up to that promise until well into the second season, but there we go.

Mobbd

Quote from: oy vey on April 01, 2021, 10:27:01 PM
That was a quick break after the DS9 marathon. Better watch Caretaker then. Anyone else in on this? Keep it spoiler free and relive the delta quadrant one more time...

Quote from: Lemming on April 01, 2021, 10:52:22 PM

omg, it's on.

oy vey

That was much better than I remember. The action was good, the story interesting, and the introduction of the characters was seamless. I enjoyed all the interactions. The acting is excellent, though I can see an issue with Robert Beltran. How do I explain it? It's like he's close to breaking out of character and into a smirk, or something. But he was quite intense when the story demanded it. The first half is particularly strong, but did they have to
Spoiler alert
kill Stadi?
[close]
That still annoys me. The other two first officer and doctor pricks were cardboard. Good luck assholes. Jennifer Lien is really good isn't she? That scene with her speech to the Occampans is old school TOS trek. Good and cheesy.

Just in case you don't realise how good Kate Mulgrew is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0&t=33s

Mr Trumpet

I love how they don't even bother giving the first officer a name

petril

Quote from: oy vey on April 02, 2021, 09:31:36 AM
That was much better than I remember. The action was good, the story interesting, and the introduction of the characters was seamless. I enjoyed all the interactions. The acting is excellent, though I can see an issue with Robert Beltran. How do I explain it? It's like he's close to breaking out of character and into a smirk, or something. But he was quite intense when the story demanded it.

it's like he went in knowing the advisor for Native American cultural stuff wasn't that good and didn't know how to bring it up, so he's just stuck with this character for seven years

Deanjam

Quote from: oy vey on April 02, 2021, 09:31:36 AM
Just in case you don't realise how good Kate Mulgrew is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0&t=33s

Geneviève Bujold is a really good actor, but it shows that you need a certain type to be a convincing Trek captain. Stewart, Brooks, Mulgrew & Bakula all have that presence, and tone of voice that makes them a believable authority figure.

As for Beltran. He's a very casual actor at the best of times. From his interviews he finds sci-fi to be ridiculous, and difficult to take seriously. So it must have been a constant battle to keep a straight face. According to the other actors he also tended not to bother learning his lines properly. Ethan Phillips has spoken about how Beltran couldn't remember the most basic terms, yet he does Shakespeare plays and remember soliloquys easily.