Author Topic: Star Trek - Voyager  (Read 22480 times)

Wonderful Butternut

• Celtic Druid God of Battle
Re: Star Trek - Voyager
« Reply #480 on: September 13, 2021, 05:30:47 PM »
EDIT: My brain no work good today.

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #481 on: September 13, 2021, 10:59:39 PM »
Retrospect. Ehhhh, I get what they were going for here, but it didn't sit particularly comfortably with me. It's clearly intended as a critique on certain aspects of psychology, the unreliability of memory, and impartiality of friendship, but ends up feeling more than a little bit like a victim-blaming story. We get no resolution for Seven at all, despite her feeling remorse for something that wasn't really her fault. What exactly was she remembering? I was hoping for a final climactic scene where there was some explanation, but it just ended without any real justification for the story it told.

Lemming

• stevie nicks books about kleptomania
« Reply #482 on: September 13, 2021, 11:25:04 PM »
That's a classic, for all the wrong reasons. "On my world, an accusation alone can ruin you forever!" RIP Falsely-Accused-Man, died in a spectacular display of fireworks, his falsely-accused giblets scattered across Voyager's hull. We shall never forget you or your innoence.

Yeah, as I remember it, the message is hard to read as anything other than "Seven should have just shut up and not brought the case forward". I've seen people say it's more intended as an allegory to things like the fallibility of witness testimony and the 90s satanic panic, but it seems to me to be very clearly about sexual assault.

PlanktonSideburns

• encoded by an oaf
« Reply #483 on: September 14, 2021, 06:02:37 AM »
Yea fuck that episode, what the fuck

« Reply #484 on: September 14, 2021, 10:50:24 AM »
I wrote this on page one of this thread.

The worst episode is Retrospect, where Seven is convinced some bloke has taken some of her borg implants without consent. It's a horrible sexual abuse metaphor made worse by the ending (and I'm gonna spoil it because it's awful) where it turns out Seven was wrong and had falsely accused the guy who is now very dead. So don't believe women accusers, they're probably making it up. Definitely hasn't aged well.

« Reply #485 on: September 14, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »

Yeah, as I remember it, the message is hard to read as anything other than "Seven should have just shut up and not brought the case forward". I've seen people say it's more intended as an allegory to things like the fallibility of witness testimony and the 90s satanic panic, but it seems to me to be very clearly about sexual assault.

I saw a defense of it from Brian Fuller where he claimed they'd deliberately made no reference to rape or sexual assault, but I don't know what he thinks the audience makes of a woman repeatedly saying 'HE VIOLATED ME!"

Lemming

• stevie nicks books about kleptomania
« Reply #486 on: September 24, 2021, 02:16:43 PM »
Started a proper full-on rewatch of Voyager a couple of weeks ago, as the friend I recently watched Enterprise with was ready to start another series.

Amazed how good the first two seasons are, actually. I'd remembered them being a bit shaky, but for the most part Voyager hit the ground running. I even loved the Beowulf episode, when anything to do with the holodeck normally sends me to sleep. Getting a lot of enjoyment out of episodes that I'd remembered being pretty middling - that one where Harry meets the people who euthanise themselves to travel to the "afterlife", for example, was one I'd remembered as being run-of-the-mill, but it's actually really interesting and well-plotted.

Regrettably, have to stand by the Neelix hate. I'm giving him a chance but holy fuck his whole personality is basically just tormenting Kes, the only thing to soften the blow being that Kes has godlike calmness which prevents her from really being upset by any of it.

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #487 on: Yesterday at 06:50:08 PM »
The Killing Game. Um, ok. Didn't see that one coming. Not convinced there was enough there to justify a two-parter, but it would have been slightly too squeezed into a single 45 minutes. Another of those slightly daft b-movie ideas that Voyager seems to enjoy doing a lot. The Hirogen seemed quite interesting in the past, and at the start of this, but there was a bit too much generic alien baddy marching around being evil going on by the end. Also, even with the expansions, the whole holodeck thing is really beginning to push my suspension of belief at this point, even if the image of them looking down into it from a corridor was pretty cool. Voyager took a fucking battering again, that ship's really going to limp into the Alpha Quadrant at this rate. And another red shirt died, off screen, which by my calculation makes the number of crew about 12 by this point.

Tags: