Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,182
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:40:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Flu jab thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 05, 2020, 02:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Have you had your flu jab? I had mine today, booked it through my local Lloyds. Didn't feel a prick at all, cost £12.99.

I've put this in the corona form because I know we are being encouraged to get a flu jab more than ever this year.

bgmnts

Small Man Big Horse

Yeah, I've had mine. And I can't think of a single interesting thing to say on the subject. Sorry.

Dex Sawash

Just want to see it going in

Glebe

I've had the flu jab last couple of years, gonna get it this year too for sure.

Sebastian Cobb

Nah, I got one with work last year as they were doing walk-ins. This year I'd need to book in, but seeing as I'm being a shut-in and avoiding covid, I think it's unlikely I'll be exposed to it.

My local surgery were doing outdoor ones, they inject you whilst you're sat in your car.

Sebastian Cobb

What if you don't have a car? I doubt the bus driver will wait.

pigamus

Rang just now. Not got any for under 65s yet.

Captain Z

Quote from: pigamus on October 05, 2020, 03:43:40 PM
Rang just now. Not got any for under 65s yet.

Back in my day 65 shillings would buy you a house!

olliebean

Does everyone have to pay for it? I thought over-65s got it free, and furthermore I thought being over 50 I'd be getting it free this year too, albeit not for a month or two.

peanutbutter

I got a paid one in Boots, was... £12 maybe?

Was a bit surprised how few of my friends had even thought about getting it, would've figured there'd be significantly increased demand this year across al ages

Non Stop Dancer

I'd never had one until last year when someone on here was talking about having flu and made it sound so horrendous that I thought fuck that, I'll get the vaccine. A few months later and I get a really nasty virus that had to go to hospital because I was delirious with fever, and although I understand on an intellectual level that the two things are unconnected, I somehow sort of believe that they are, and now I'm scared of having it. Mental, eh?

Non Stop Dancer

Just realised I'm like those people who think having the mmr jab gave their kid autism.

SpiderChrist

Booked mine in yesterday. Wheezy cunt so get one free. Appointment time is 09:01, which is bizarrely precise...

timebug

Had mine last Saturday,after refusing to have it for about five years. Reason for refusal, the last couple I did have made me ill.
My own Doctor won't accept this, claims I must have been sickening for something anyway.He could be right.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: olliebean on October 05, 2020, 06:06:35 PM
Does everyone have to pay for it? I thought over-65s got it free, and furthermore I thought being over 50 I'd be getting it free this year too, albeit not for a month or two.

Over 65s free, as well as anyone who meets certain eligibility criteria e.g. diabetic/asthma/COPD, etc. The exact criteria changes year on year, but usually you'll know if you are. The over 65s and 18-65 are different vaccines though, so at the GP surgery where I work we only just got delivery of the u65s last week, so have been unable to put any clinics on until now. As you can imagine, there has been a huge uptake this year. If you are not eligible for the free NHS one, you can still pay for it at most chemists - you usually don't need an appointment and can just walk in.

I got mine done yesterday at work as all NHS workers are eligible by default too. Even us non-clinical drones.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 06, 2020, 10:07:31 AM
Booked mine in yesterday. Wheezy cunt so get one free. Appointment time is 09:01, which is bizarrely precise...

I would assume they are doing the same as us, and have special flu jab clinics which are short appointments (2 minutes in our case), but the actual time doesn't really matter, as you'll just join the queue. Just try to turn up around the right time as it makes things harder from an admin perspective. I've not done one this year, but so far they've apparently been fairly smooth. Though we are doing them outside as well, and we've yet to have terrible weather for them. Don't envy the nurses and admin staff who will run the outdoor flu clinics when it's raining sideways below freezing.

Braintree

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 05, 2020, 07:51:53 PM
I'd never had one until last year when someone on here was talking about having flu and made it sound so horrendous that I thought fuck that, I'll get the vaccine. A few months later and I get a really nasty virus that had to go to hospital because I was delirious with fever, and although I understand on an intellectual level that the two things are unconnected, I somehow sort of believe that they are, and now I'm scared of having it. Mental, eh?

I had a really bad reaction to a flu jab about 7 years ago that apparently didn't even prevent flu in most people. My mum refuses to get one for the same reason.
I am asthmatic and should get it but there simply isn't enough available. I asked, during a blood test, if I could have it at the same time and was refused. I also don't want to deal with my already overstretched GP surgery and would much rather go to Boots or whatever but they are focusing on over 65s

H-O-W-L

My surgery sent me a letter, I've yet to book in but I intend to at Some PointTM. Though I did have an insane reaction to one a few years ago that made me very delerious for about half a day that has always made me nervy.

My surgery sent me a letter and had already booked me in saying I was "at risk" in some way.

I'm not yet 40 and I have a prescription for acid reflux but that's about it so don't know why I'm considered a risk, but I'm not going to complain about a free flu jab with zero hassle involved.

olliebean

Don't think I can be bothered if I have to pay for it, as my lifestyle puts me at low risk anyway, and even lower with the extra precautions I'm taking to avoid coronavirus.

BlodwynPig

Do I need it if I'm still self-isolating?

Thomas

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 05, 2020, 07:51:53 PM
I'd never had one until last year when someone on here was talking about having flu and made it sound so horrendous that I thought fuck that, I'll get the vaccine.

I think I just had my first flirtation with the flu. Severe enough that I let them stick a 'vid-sniffing swab up my nose (felt like they were trying to extract my brain for the tomb). Negative result just came through, so it must've been boring ready salted flu.

I felt woozily, unpleasantly drunk for three or four days, headache spiking with every cough. Fully-body tired. Hot then cold, could barely sleep. Felt a little improved in the mornings, but then reset to ill in the afternoon. Mild compared to some experiences I've read, though.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah, that sounds the same as me. I unfortunately got it just after new year when nobody else was in the gaff and had ran out of stuff so had to brave the supermarket. I honestly thought I was going to come-to with a couple of Morrisons staff and shoppers crowding round me.

UKTV history were doing a run of Sharpe so I just slipped in and out of consciousness with that on in the background.

Zetetic

Little evidence of flu circulating at this point in Europe, and a lot of the COVID-19 precautions should be at least as effective at reducing transmission. (We aren't into the "2020/21" season for a few

By contrast, evidence of lots of cold virus transmission so, while fever and exhaustion are less common symptoms of these, it's still a decent bet that they're signs of a bad cold more than a mild flu, I'd guess.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 06, 2020, 10:07:31 AM

I had mine a couple of weeks ago (diabetes). They initially offered me an appointment at 07.18, I managed to haggle them up to 07.36.