Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:05:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Unconscious Bias Training a.k.a Bigotfinder General (1968)

Started by Theremin, October 05, 2020, 03:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

touchingcloth

Quote from: icehaven on October 06, 2020, 06:38:54 PM
Yeah I was thinking that, don't they mean subconscious?

Unconscious is the term preferred by psychologists for thought processes which aren't conscious, going back as far as Freud. But yeah colloquially the medical word unconscious can be swapped for subconscious.

Zetetic

"Das Unbewusste" would have been that wanker's preferred term, probably. Check your anglocentrism.

touchingcloth

I cannot operate on this child; he has castration anxiety and wants to fuck me.

I'm on strong medication and can't operate heavy machinery, let alone a child.

Buelligan

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 06, 2020, 08:16:58 PM
I cannot operate on this child; he has castration anxiety and wants to fuck me.

You big wusste.

Non Stop Dancer

Thought I was brilliant for assuming it was a two father setup. Nothing wrong with that, I thought to myself. Two dads, three dads, three trans dads. No harm in that. Was gutted to then realise I was a massive misogynist.

flotemysost

I remember we had a book of logic puzzles at home when I was a kid, which I think was meant as a fun stocking filler type thing, but it used to scare me a bit because loads of the quandaries in it were all about death and crime and stuff, and also the illustrations had that very unnerving cheap late 90s CGI look.

Anyway, it contained the aforementioned puzzle, but there were a few in there which relied on very similar assumptions. One was something like

"A woman is witness to a bank robbery, but the robber switches off all the lights before he enters the bank, so she only hears his voice. The woman is called to identify a line up of four suspects: a farmer, a truck driver, a doctor, and a company director. She immediately identifies the criminal before any of them speak. How does she know?"

There was also another puzzle that I spent one Boxing Day arguing with my brother about, "A man is found hanging by a noose from the ceiling in a locked, empty room, with nothing but a puddle of water underneath [I did say they were bleak]. There's no furniture in the room, nor any way he could have climbed up the walls, and it's too high for anyone to jump. There's no way anyone else could have been in the room with him and then left. What happened?"

I was camp "He propelled himself up there with a final glorious jet of piss/jizz", but apparently
Spoiler alert
he stood on a massive block of ice until it melted YEAH BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE SO FUCKING EASY TO GET INTO AN EMPTY LOCKED ROOM
[close]

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 06, 2020, 09:49:46 PM
Thought I was brilliant for assuming it was a two father setup. Nothing wrong with that, I thought to myself. Two dads, three dads, three trans dads. No harm in that. Was gutted to then realise I was a massive misogynist.

#metoo

touchingcloth

Quote from: flotemysost on October 06, 2020, 10:21:06 PM
I remember we had a book of logic puzzles at home when I was a kid, which I think was meant as a fun stocking filler type thing, but it used to scare me a bit because loads of the quandaries in it were all about death and crime and stuff, and also the illustrations had that very unnerving cheap late 90s CGI look.

Anyway, it contained the aforementioned puzzle, but there were a few in there which relied on very similar assumptions. One was something like

"A woman is witness to a bank robbery, but the robber switches off all the lights before he enters the bank, so she only hears his voice. The woman is called to identify a line up of four suspects: a farmer, a truck driver, a doctor, and a company director. She immediately identifies the criminal before any of them speak. How does she know?"

There was also another puzzle that I spent one Boxing Day arguing with my brother about, "A man is found hanging by a noose from the ceiling in a locked, empty room, with nothing but a puddle of water underneath [I did say they were bleak]. There's no furniture in the room, nor any way he could have climbed up the walls, and it's too high for anyone to jump. There's no way anyone else could have been in the room with him and then left. What happened?"

I was camp "He propelled himself up there with a final glorious jet of piss/jizz", but apparently
Spoiler alert
he stood on a massive block of ice until it melted YEAH BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE SO FUCKING EASY TO GET INTO AN EMPTY LOCKED ROOM
[close]

Argh I hate "logic" puzzles like that hanging one - I think I had the same book - because the "correct" solution is portrayed as the only possible correct one, when it seems way, way more likely that it's the "there's no way anyone else could have got into the room" explanation is what actually happened.

I remember a puzzle something along the lines that someone locks you in a room with a selection of objects - a bowl of fruit, a coat hanger, some chopsticks, handcuffs, a newspaper, AA batteries - but leaves the key in the other side of the door before walking off - how do you escape?

The given solution -
Spoiler alert
slide a sheet of newspaper under the door, use a chopstick to push the key out onto it and then pull it back into the room
[close]
- relies on too many things that just wouldn't happen in the real world -
Spoiler alert
how many doors have a big enough gap? What if it was a Yale type lock, or one with a keyhole too thin for a chopstick?
[close]
- that it's ultimately unsatisfying and even as a kid had me shouting bullshit. It's like the Holmes stories, where it's fun reading his deductions but they've not been written in a way which gives the reader enough information to solve the cases themselves.

The same book had one bit which did blow my tiny mind, however. What is wrong with this?

I
Love
Paris in The
The Springtime

shiftwork2

Quote from: flotemysost on October 06, 2020, 10:21:06 PM

Help us out please.  At the moment I've got 'the farmer grows lots of carrots and can see in the dark'.

paruses

The farmer is a dwarf, I think. He uses the umbrella to press the buttons on the robbery when it is raining.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The farmer is wearing an " I Heart New York" type t- shirt, except it says " I Heart Robbing Banks In The The Dark".

touchingcloth

She easily identifies the criminal in the line up because he is Kevin Spacey.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

BTW , was Alberon seriously not expecting all the boys and girls of CaB to immediately say " The surgeon is quite clearly the lad's fucking mum" to his brain- teaser? Was he being sarky?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 07, 2020, 08:19:55 AM
BTW , was Alberon seriously not expecting all the boys and girls of CaB to immediately say " The surgeon is quite clearly the lad's fucking mum" to his brain- teaser? Was he being sarky?

I think he's just a 100 year old Saudi.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I thought the answer to the Farmer Bankrobber one might be " It's broad daylight outside, and the bank has big fuck- off windows, so yer woman can still see the cunt", but that would mean the original question would be misleadingly worded.
Or maybe the Farmer permanently honks of pigshit, but, again, misleading wording, y'see.

touchingcloth

The way it is worded implies it was night. It'd be a bit rum for the answer to be "it was day!" when the question says explicitly that she couldn't see the robber.

There's that puzzle about someone who loses their keys in the middle of a field but even with no streetlights, no torch, no matches they manage to find them within seconds. How? How could they do this? How.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

touchingcloth

The jig was kind of up before I started what with the daylight chat.

It is day that is the answer. But how?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

What were they doing wandering around a field in the middle of the day? Don't they have a job to go to? Dozy cunt, whoever they are. Bet they're a darkie, too.

* John Cleese from 1974 leads the audience in uproarious laughter*

touchingcloth

Riddle me this.

A man who always tells the truth and his son who always lies get into a car crash, and the son is rushed to hospital where the surgeon who has four legs in the morning and three legs in the evening refuses to operate on him.

Who am I?

Icehaven

With the bank robbery one given the poster said it was similar to the surgeon one, I thought maybe the robber was a man and the witness (who had heard their voice) picked them out of the line up because all the others in the line up were women, but no such line up would ever exist so I'm wrong.

Buelligan

You just have to read it, it tells you what the the answer obviously is.  Are you people all joking?

Quote from: icehaven on October 07, 2020, 09:26:38 AM
the line up because all the others in the line up were women, but no such line up would ever exist so I'm wrong.

Positve discrimination came into play because studies showed that police lineups had been 85% male.

Ray Travez

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 07, 2020, 08:39:16 AM
It is day that is the answer. But how?

There is a star that is constantly exploding 93 million miles away, creating what we call 'light' on 'earth.' But how?

Paul Calf

Bit careless of the police to include women in a line-up when she heard a man's voice.

Fit-up if you ask me.

Buelligan