Author Topic: PureGym cancelled.  (Read 1712 times)

PureGym cancelled.
« on: October 05, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/05/pure-gym-slammed-for-slavery-based-workout-for-black-history-month-13374464/

What a set of daft bastards. Their social media team is probably getting their P45s as we speak.

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
Re: PureGym cancelled.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »
Coming up next: Weight Watchers' Holodomor diet!!

touchingcloth

• You wanna plack the rick, you ha.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 04:40:24 PM »
Entitled “12YearsOfSlave” (after the epic movie) this is our workout of the month designed by @mattsimpt to celebrate black history month.

Is it bad that the main outrage I feel with this is at the fucking state of the name “12 Years Of Slave”? How does that work?

Inspector Norse

• I bash the Bishop well.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »
Fascinated by the processes behind stuff like this. I mean this isn’t one guy fucking up, this is something that’s been brainstormed and meetinged and escalated and approved and finetuned and everything. How can nobody have said ”wait a moment...”?

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »
Is it bad that the main outrage I feel with this is at the fucking state of the name “12 Years Of Slave”? How does that work?

Shocking.

"12 Sets a Slave" - even I can come up with that for fuck's sake.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
If I was running a gym and wanted to jump on the #BHM bandwagon I would simply not suggest workouts can be as gruelling as a being a slave.

touchingcloth

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »
Slavery was hard and so is this.

The twist to this is 1 rep of your 1st exercise, 2 of the second but before you move on to the 3rd exercise, which is also 3 reps, you must start at the beginning to move on. AND that’s how the entire workout goes.

I don’t understand that at all. If exercise one is a sit-up, 2 is a press-up and 3 is a star jump, is it: sit-up, press-up, press-up, sit-up, press-up, press-up, star jump, star jump, star jump? Generous to describe it as a “twist” if so.

The “slavery was hard and so is this” tagline is pure Iannucci.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »
Slack Form Matters.

touchingcloth

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 04:50:05 PM »
Shocking.

"12 Sets a Slave" - even I can come up with that for fuck's sake.

Yeah, and I don’t really know what a “rep” is, but I know enough to know that 12 Reps a Slave is a more descriptive title.

This isn’t my job, but it feels like a decent pin title for the thing is easily in anyone’s reach. Kunta Gymte, there’s another.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 04:52:01 PM »
What the actual fuck.

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »
Racially PureGym.

As an aside, I'm a member of The Gym[1] and the deliberately generic name is an annoyance that forces me to place emphasis on both words or, worse, do quotation mark fingers when explaining which gym I attend.  However this isn't as bad as slavery.
 1. as my ripped physique makes pretty obvious

touchingcloth

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »
Malcolm X-Fit.

This is easy. Sack @mattsimpt.

touchingcloth

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »
Racially PureGym.

As an aside, I'm a member of The Gym[1] and the deliberately generic name is an annoyance that forces me to place emphasis on both words or, worse, do quotation mark fingers when explaining which gym I attend.  However this isn't as bad as slavery.
 1. as my ripped physique makes obvious

Which one are you a member of? Pure Gym?

metaltax

• Golden Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 04:57:45 PM »
Fascinated by the processes behind stuff like this. I mean this isn’t one guy fucking up, this is something that’s been brainstormed and meetinged and escalated and approved and finetuned and everything. How can nobody have said ”wait a moment...”?

Not really. It was a local gym which posted and they run their own social media sites, so it's probably just one person with the keys to the account doing a bit of a LOL.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 04:59:19 PM »
Malcolm X-Fit.

"I have a dream... of washboard abs."

"Break those chains... and pump the iron."

touchingcloth

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 05:01:51 PM »
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the slave-like quality of their muscles.

shiftwork2

• pies this is your time
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 05:02:28 PM »
Which one are you a member of? Pure Gym?

The Fuck Off Gym

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 05:07:42 PM »
are pyay jim the ones with the adverts of peoples huge faces in agony and captions like LIFT WEIGHTS JOHN

touchingcloth

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 05:16:06 PM »
Can I just shock you? I think based on his twitter that Matt Simptson may be A Black.

His Instagram is lovely stuff, the kind of word salad you can imagine the creator of 12YearsOfSlave being prone to.

No explanation or excuses for racism, colourism or discrimination. Just appreciation for melanin through articulation. This video should be encapsulated and become timeless.

The Mollusk

• We whipped 'em, didn't we?
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 05:21:12 PM »
are pyay jim the ones with the adverts of peoples huge faces in agony and captions like LIFT WEIGHTS JOHN

Think you're on about The Gym. Their ads are fucking terrifying, this toothless howling ghoul freaks me the fuck out:

touchingcloth

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »
Think you're on about The Gym. Their ads are fucking terrifying, this toothless howling ghoul freaks me the fuck out:

Which gym is that? Pure Gym?

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 05:32:25 PM »
One of the comments in the side bar is about a student getting stuck in a tumble drier.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/04/boozy-student-rescued-by-firefighters-after-getting-stuck-inside-a-tumble-dryer-on-a-dare-13368393/

Everyone knows it's the commercial, not domestic driers you're supposed to put students in.

touchingcloth

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 05:34:43 PM »
One of the comments in the side bar is about a student getting stuck in a tumble drier.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/04/boozy-student-rescued-by-firefighters-after-getting-stuck-inside-a-tumble-dryer-on-a-dare-13368393/

Everyone knows it's the commercial, not domestic driers you're supposed to put students in.

Maybe it was a commercial drier but they turned it up to hot and it shrank.

Better Midlands

• I'm not internationally known
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 05:40:22 PM »

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
Your Wootons and your Belfields are using this as an excuse to attack "woke brands" even though this is the complete opposite.

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »
"I have a dream... of washboard abs."

"Break those chains... and pump the iron."

LOL

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

• Far away is close at hand
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2020, 05:58:01 PM »
Why is linking to the Daily Mail discouraged here but linking to Metro not?  ANSWER ME!

touchingcloth

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2020, 06:08:11 PM »
Why is linking to the Daily Mail discouraged here but linking to Metro not?  ANSWER ME!

Metro is owned by the Daily Mail.

Just ouroborosing with my post in 0bv1øu5 things.

A very good point. I didn’t realise this, and won’t personally link to or click on them again in a hurry.

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
I didn't know that either. Apologies for the link. I'll know better in future.

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »
haha get in lad

Tags: