Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

No vaccine for you

Started by George Oscar Bluth II, October 05, 2020, 07:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote(Reuters) - Britain's vaccine task force chair, Kate Bingham, said that vaccinating everyone in the country for the coronavirus was 'not going to happen', telling the Financial Times that they need to vaccinate only those at risk.

"There's going to be no vaccination of people under 18. It's an adult-only vaccine, for people over 50, focusing on health workers and care home workers and the vulnerable", Bingham said in an interview with the newspaper on.ft.com/33suPFq.

Bingham's comments follow that of Prime Minister Boris Johnson who on Sunday said he expected the next few months of the COVID-19 pandemic to be bumpy, but that things would look radically different in the spring.

"People keep talking about time to vaccinate the whole population, but that is misguided," she said to the FT, adding that vaccinating healthy people, who are much less likely to have severe outcomes from COVID-19, "could cause them some freak harm".

Britain suffered Europe's worst death toll from the virus with the current total standing at over 42,300.

The Times, citing government scientists, reported last week that a mass roll-out of a COVID-19 vaccine in Britain could be finished in as little as three months, adding that health officials estimate that every adult could receive a dose of the vaccine within six months.

Bingham said the government was aiming to vaccinate about 30 million people, compared with a UK population of about 67 million, if a successful vaccine against COVID-19 was found, according to the FT.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-vaccine-idUSKBN26P0YM

Two alarming things from this.

1) The chair of the "vaccine task force" appears to believe that, for under 50s, the vaccine might be worse than having the disease. If that's true for "healthy" people, why would you then give the vaccine to "vulnerable" groups?

2) The plan, if you're not a Tory voterunder 50 years old is, still, herd immunity. Get the virus, roll the dice on death, roll the dice on long covid, roll the dice on permanent heart and lung damage, have maybe two immensely shitty weeks.

Great!

GMTV

Won't be a vaccine any time soon so I wouldn't worry about it.

BlodwynPig

Should I be preparing a will?

idunnosomename

if only there was a tory eating virus