Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons - Warrin' Priests (Parts I & II)

Started by Chairman Yang, October 05, 2020, 08:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Rewatched a few of the Treehouses. I thought the Elm Tree story was surprisingly weak - it just feels too cartoonish, garish, random. And the giant mascot thing isn't really ghoulish or spooky in any way so doesn't feel satisfying as a Halloween story.

The Shining ep is obviously good but I hate the "gas that turns everyone inside out" ending. It's just revolting and senseless and feels like the kind of thing I don't like about Family Guy.

I thought the Hell Toupee story was surprisingly good. It's the point where the show was just starting to get too slick but the writing was still good imo.

JaDanketies

I like Hell Toupee and I also like the Maggie is an alien / Jerry Springer one, both of which have been besmirched in this thread.

neveragain

Fair enough popcorn. In my view the gas that turns you inside out is genuinely horrific, which is why it feels perfect for a Halloween special. Also, there are a few nice deaths in the 50 Foot Eyesores.

popcorn

Quote from: neveragain on November 07, 2020, 12:46:28 PM
Fair enough popcorn. In my view the gas that turns you inside out is genuinely horrific, which is why it feels perfect for a Halloween special.

It's definitely a weird balance. Like others have said, the burning Willie is genuinely quite gnarly but somehow it's just nasty enough without being unpleasant and it's also still funny. Whereas the inside-out-gas is just fucking weird... and deeply unpleasant.

There's lots of weird and deeply unpleasant stuff in later bad Simpsons eps and I don't think they'd be any better if they were in a Halloween episode.

QuoteAlso, there are a few nice deaths in the 50 Foot Eyesores.

I watched it yesterday and I can't even remember any of these. :( :( :(

neveragain

There's a blind Mr Peanut type character eats a car full of screaming people, if I remember rightly, and some other people being squashed. All very silly but a bit dark. I also love Chief Wiggum shooting the basketball player.

madhair60

Lousy Smarch weather! Do not touch Willie. Good advice!

Small Man Big Horse

I watched the most recent Treehouse of Terror and quite liked it, Toy Gory was a bit obvious but had some funny moments in it, the time travel one was nicely played out, and while the Homerverse story wasn't anything amazing it still had a few decent jokes.

That said, the preceding episode "Now Museum, Now You Don't", which imagined the Simpsons as various historically well known artists, was absolute dog shit. It was filled with lazy puns and piss poor jokes which were so bad that I turned it off after ten minutes, and I'm sometimes a late Simpsons era apologist.   

The Mollusk

Guys I made a Treehouse of Horror thread for this chat a week ago, swing your incorrect awful opinions over there

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,83405.0.html

Ornlu

Quote from: Mobbd on November 07, 2020, 11:38:58 AM
I was surprised to notice that the one where the food mascots come to life is only Episode VI. Fucking hell. That IS a sharp decline

Just don't look! Just don't look!

Mobbd

Quote from: neveragain on November 07, 2020, 12:05:31 PM
Why is that a bad episode? It's hardly like the one with Jerry Springer and Snake's cursed wig. In fact, I'd say the billboards section is utterly delightful

It just never felt like it was about anything. A bit empty, boring to look at. I'm familiar with how America has giant mascots/roadside attractions here and there, but the idea that they might come to life is sort-of implied by them existing in the first place, isn't it? Aren't you supposed to half-accept them as alive/buy into a sort of consentual illusion that they aren't just plasterboard when you see them? It falls flat like a superhero parody: superheroes are camp to begin with and don't really need sending up. I dunno. Just my stupid opinion of course, I hope other people like it.

Someone mentioned the gas that turns people inside-out. I watched it with my partner recently and we both suddenly understood for the first time that the third adult to join the family in the song is Willie.

We agreed that neither of us had understood this before. I remember being a kid and thinking "is that... grandpa?... maybe?" But no! It's Willie, and the way Wikipedia describes it, it shouldn't even be confusing. We both essentially said, "fuck my hat, I didn't know that."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mobbd on November 09, 2020, 01:23:42 PM
It just never felt like it was about anything. A bit empty, boring to look at. I'm familiar with how America has giant mascots/roadside attractions here and there, but the idea that they might come to life is sort-of implied by them existing in the first place, isn't it? Aren't you supposed to half-accept them as alive/buy into a sort of consentual illusion that they aren't just plasterboard when you see them? It falls flat like a superhero parody: superheroes are camp to begin with and don't really need sending up. I dunno. Just my stupid opinion of course
Not stupid. Wrong and utterly bizarre, but not stupid.

I'm exercising my power of veto[nb]Yes, I have this. No need to check.[/nb] on all these criticisms of that segment. It's a fine and funny spoof of 50s sci-fi horrors.

"He came to life. Good for him."

Mobbd

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 09, 2020, 01:37:30 PM
Not stupid. Wrong and utterly bizarre, but not stupid.

I'm exercising my power of veto[nb]Yes, I have this. No need to check.[/nb] on all these criticisms of that segment. It's a fine and funny spoof of 50s sci-fi horrors.

"He came to life. Good for him."

Haha. Fair enough!

samadriel

Quote from: Mobbd on November 09, 2020, 01:23:42 PM

Someone mentioned the gas that turns people inside-out. I watched it with my partner recently and we both suddenly understood for the first time that the third adult to join the family in the song is Willie.

We agreed that neither of us had understood this before. I remember being a kid and thinking "is that... grandpa?... maybe?" But no! It's Willie, and the way Wikipedia describes it, it shouldn't even be confusing. We both essentially said, "fuck my hat, I didn't know that."

Whoa, count me in (note: I am not angling for a threesome with you and your partner). I always thought it was Grandpa, which made that one word he says seem a bit out of place, accent-wise.

Ignatius_S

I'm rather fond of the gas that turns people inside out and after getting into Lights Out, a seminal US horror radio show, was delighted to discover, The Simpsons was in fact referencing an episode from the series.

Going from memory, Arch Oboler (who Stephen King is a huge admirer of) wrote the episode in question, not that long after taking over the series from its creator, Wyllis Cooper – so something like 1937.

Sadly, the episode is believed to be lost but Oboler recorded a shortened version for an album released in the 1960s. Another episode that received a similar treatment was Chicken Heart, which featured a scientific experiment that goes horribly wrong; one of Bill Cosby's album features a routine about listening to the series and that particular episode as a child.

Rather a tangent – although the series was not without humour – but another anthology show, that Cooper did, Quiet, Please is very good indeed. One standout is The Thing on the Fourble Board (https://www.quietplease.org/mp3/60.mp3) and quite remarkable for its time (or any time for that matter).

idunnosomename

i mean it's also so ridiculous (marge's hair is also gore-flesh) I think it's more than just family-guy shock. they immediately start doing a Chorus Line so it's pretty clear it isn't "real".

and some amazing animation frames

And it doesn't really turn them inside out. It just skins them alive.

C_Larence

The gas sequence contains the inspired rhyme:

QuoteVital organs they are what we're dressed in, the family dog is eyeing Bart's intestine

so I won't disparage it.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 09, 2020, 11:27:30 PM
And it doesn't really turn them inside out. It just skins them alive.
true this does bother me a little bit. but perhaps errors made by characters

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on November 07, 2020, 12:25:09 PM
Rewatched a few of the Treehouses. I thought the Elm Tree story was surprisingly weak - it just feels too cartoonish, garish, random. And the giant mascot thing isn't really ghoulish or spooky in any way so doesn't feel satisfying as a Halloween story.

The Shining ep is obviously good but I hate the "gas that turns everyone inside out" ending. It's just revolting and senseless and feels like the kind of thing I don't like about Family Guy.

I thought the Hell Toupee story was surprisingly good. It's the point where the show was just starting to get too slick but the writing was still good imo.

Agree with all of this. Considering what a wally popcorn is, what does that say about the people disagreeing?