Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:54:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons - Warrin' Priests (Parts I & II)

Started by Chairman Yang, October 05, 2020, 08:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Funnier than the last twenty years of The Simpsons

Goldentony

the comments on that Simpsons review on the AV Club are proper sad, it's like a local church and community club finally falling down after the council refused to give it back for years just because everyone asking is ugly and wont make as much as selling it for a NEWS AND WINE MART and flats

it's over boys, nobody gives the toss

The Mollusk

Quote from: madhair60 on October 11, 2020, 11:11:25 PM
Funnier than the last twenty years of The Simpsons

That's not really a high watermark though.

madhair60

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 12, 2020, 10:09:01 AM

(Shrug) They made me laugh pretty frequently

SavageHedgehog

I saw one Bordertown. I did laugh a few times.

Hope this helps.

Menu

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 12, 2020, 10:09:01 AM

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?! HOW WOULD YOU KNOW FFS?!? I don't mind people not liking it anymore but we've already established that you've not seen any new ones at all.

Chairman Yang

I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks of the episodes 'Warrin' Priests (Parts I & II)', to pick a random point of comparison.

madhair60

Quote from: Menu on October 12, 2020, 09:26:27 PM
HOW WOULD YOU KNOW?! HOW WOULD YOU KNOW FFS?!? I don't mind people not liking it anymore but we've already established that you've not seen any new ones at all.

they're rubbish mate. like watching your dad die.

Mister Six

Quote from: Chairman Yang on October 12, 2020, 09:53:20 PM
I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks of the episodes 'Warrin' Priests (Parts I & II)', to pick a random point of comparison.

No chance. Simpsons is shit now mate, haven't you heard?

Replies From View

Is it a pun?  Is there a famous person called Warren Priests?

C_Larence

I haven't watched a "new" episode in years, but sometimes I'll see clips posted online from the newer seasons and they will invariably be desolation incarnate. Here is one I saw just the other day,

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1314944039985328128?s=21

How anyone can seriously cite this as an example of good animation is beyond me. Look at the lifeless crowd in the beginning. Why is Fat Tony standing in the middle of the street aiming a gun at someone in broad daylight? Why is Sideshow Mel 5 feet away from him for no reason? Every clip of zombie Simpsons feels like it's being written by this guy:

madhair60

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on October 12, 2020, 10:26:37 PM
im pretty sure it is a pun on War and Peace. but simpsons episode titles was never their strong point. I mean, they were so shit they didn't show them on screen (except like, a couple of times)

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on October 12, 2020, 10:26:37 PM

It's a reference to the Warren Commission and JFK being Catholic.

Phil_A

Jesus, if this horse were any deader it'd be fossilised. I don't watch the Simpsons because I don't care about it anymore, and life's too short to commit to twenty+ episodes a year of a series that is literally decades past it's prime based purely on the notion that some episodes might scrape above the level of "acceptable". If you want to burn away your precious hours on that then by all means get stuck in but leave us out, eh.

BUT, just to prove a point I watched the first episode of the new season. It's a vague parody of Spartacus with Homer as a slave in Roman times, he's called Obysseus LOL even though that's riffing on a character from Greek mythology and he's supposed to be Roman WHATEVER NO-ONE CARES. The standard of gags wasn't really any better or worse than any recent episodes I've seen, but it's just the same tired material they've rehashed over and over again. There's a bit where the other slaves cover for Homer by declaring "I HAD SEXICUS" you know like on that bit in Spartacus which is probably the only bit of Spartacus the writers have actually seen. Also it was really gory in a way which didn't serve the humour at all, it was just unpleasant. Is the show like this all the time now?

I also watched a highlights reel from the last season to see if anything stood as particularly funny - fuck all, really. There was a parody of the bar scene from the Shining that was almost identical to one they did in a Treehouse Of Horror around 25 years ago, and a plot point revolving around Marge being mad at Homer because he watched Season 3 of Stranger Things without her. Is this the good stuff we're all missing out on?

Menu

Menu

Quote from: Chairman Yang on October 12, 2020, 09:53:20 PM

I'll see if my Sky box has downloaded it.

idunnosomename

Having a look, the design in I, Carambus! looks pretty nice but it sounds dreadfully unfunny and looking at a clip it has that horrible look of a stilted flash animation from 2003 without the charm of something moving on your computer that didnt take a whole night to download

SavageHedgehog

It's not as excessive as it was in the 00s but the show is still too gory now. There was a rather nice coach gag which started with a very childish drawing of the family, which panned back to reveal a nicer drawing of Maggie drawing the family, and Lisa drawing Maggie, Bart drawing Lisa etc. But it ends with Homer stabbing himself in the eye, and it lingers on the blood spurting out for about five seconds. A quick cut after Homer stabbed himself in the eye would have been fine, or maybe the old cartoon throbbing wound, but I can't see how anyone could have thought the version that came out was appealing. Far from the only bloody gag I've seen recently, but it's the one that stands out.

ajsmith2

Appropriate that they're doing a classically themed episode this year as The Simpsons fate reminds me more and more of the Greek myth of Tithonus, who was cursed to eternal life without the key proviso of never aging, resulting in an eternal senility:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus

'when Eos asked Zeus to make Tithonus immortal, she forgot to ask that he be granted eternal youth.[iv][v][3] Tithonus indeed lived forever, 'but when loathsome old age pressed full upon him, and he could not move nor lift his limbs, this seemed to her in her heart the best counsel: she laid him in a room and put to the shining doors. There he babbles endlessly, and no more has strength at all, such as once he had in his supple limbs.'

frajer

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 13, 2020, 08:15:16 AM
'when Eos asked Zeus to make Tithonus immortal, she forgot to ask that he be granted eternal youth.[iv][v][3] Tithonus indeed lived forever, 'but when loathsome old age pressed full upon him, and he could not move nor lift his limbs, this seemed to her in her heart the best counsel: she laid him in a room and put to the shining doors. There he babbles endlessly, and no more has strength at all, such as once he had in his supple limbs.'

Endut! Hoch hech!

Phil_A

Quote from: Menu on October 13, 2020, 12:22:09 AM
So you watched one episode.

Christ, how many are we required to watch before forming an opinion? It's any more than one I'm done with this little game, honestly.

JaDanketies

I watched part one and also some episode where Santa's Little Helper had to deal with past traumas. Both were ok. The other priest in Warrin Priests is a little one-note and there was one scene that felt preachy and that went on a touch too long but overall it was standard Simpsons. I feel like I watched Part One a little too critically. There were good jokes but they didn't form part of a cohesive narrative arc so they didn't get an audible laugh.

It's a bit like when South Park mocked Family Guy. The jokes aren't as blatantly irrelevant to the plot as they are on FG but they're not a definite part of the story, either. South Park still manages to elicit literal lols.

madhair60

Here she is..... it's your mum!! But it's not your mum

Just her skin, vacuum filled with livid wasps. That's what The Simpsons is, that.

madhair60

Quote from: Phil_A on October 13, 2020, 09:36:07 AM
Christ, how many are we required to watch before forming an opinion? It's any more than one I'm done with this little game, honestly.

I've seen a decent number of episodes since it went HD, at least one per season, and they were all handily wretched. Every one of them was recommended to me by someone as being "back to standards" or "surprisingly good", and none of them were acceptable ways to spend time. I don't know what it is at this point. I did a continued watch through when I got access to Disney Plus, I'm on season 18 or 19, not even HD years yet, and it's absolutely appalling stuff.

g0m

I've watched multiple seasons of new simpsons [at a dark time in my life] and it really is dogshit. i counted one joke i liked in all of them and it was, funnily enough, to do with the av club

popcorn

Quote from: C_Larence on October 12, 2020, 10:32:40 PM
I haven't watched a "new" episode in years, but sometimes I'll see clips posted online from the newer seasons and they will invariably be desolation incarnate. Here is one I saw just the other day,

https://twitter.com/ooccouchgags/status/1314944039985328128?s=21

How anyone can seriously cite this as an example of good animation is beyond me. Look at the lifeless crowd in the beginning. Why is Fat Tony standing in the middle of the street aiming a gun at someone in broad daylight? Why is Sideshow Mel 5 feet away from him for no reason? Every clip of zombie Simpsons feels like it's being written by this guy:

That's a really weird clip. There are so many elements that don't really scan.

Like, Lisa says "If one more thing gets in there, it could reach critical mass!" and then it cuts to a baseball hitting a bat. That sequencing of information - combined with the way the eerie music flows between the scenes, creating an editing continuity - makes it feel more like a sequence from a mediocre thriller (imminent danger) than a joke. It's just not funny, it's really odd.

But I can easily imagine it in a classic episode. Lisa would say her line, and then it would cut to Milhouse standing on a baseball field elsewhere, holding the bat and gearing up to strike. The joke would be what is clearly about to happen, and the fact that it's poor old Milhouse about to do it, rather than this cinematic approach of cutting straight to the bat. Having established that idea they might even subvert it and make something else happen.

And the music wouldn't keep going - it would be a hard cut, like "Meanwhile, not far away". They'd leave gaps for you to join the dots yourself.

Compare to the sequencing of ideas in the elephant stampede.

dr_christian_troy

My hope for the end of The Simpsons:

Final season consists of individual episodes that provides an acceptable coda focused on minor characters. There is a vague overall arch that leads us to the final 5 or 10 episodes focusing on the Simpson family, an ending that isn't an ending but ultimately if they never came back for an occasional film for example it would be totally acceptable. Bring in more comedy writers to write individual episodes predominantly from the west-coast Earwolf/CBB league, such as Scott Aukerman, Bob Odenkirk etc. Make a season so solid and finite that there would be lamentations as to why they didn't do this sooner. I dunno.

idunnosomename

Quote from: popcorn on October 13, 2020, 12:14:21 PM
That's a really weird clip. There are so many elements that don't really scan.

Like, Lisa says "If one more thing gets in there, it could reach critical mass!" and then it cuts to a baseball hitting a bat. That sequencing of information - combined with the way the eerie music flows between the scenes, creating an editing continuity - makes it feel more like a sequence from a mediocre thriller (imminent danger) than a joke. It's just not funny, it's really odd.

But I can easily imagine it in a classic episode. Lisa would say her line, and then it would cut to Milhouse standing on a baseball field elsewhere, holding the bat and gearing up to strike. The joke would be what is clearly about to happen, and the fact that it's poor old Milhouse about to do it, rather than this cinematic approach of cutting straight to the bat. Having established that idea they might even subvert it and make something else happen.

And the music wouldn't keep going - it would be a hard cut, like "Meanwhile, not far away". They'd leave gaps for you to join the dots yourself.

Compare to the sequencing of ideas in the elephant stampede.
i agree totally that literally nothing in that is funny except maybe a wince of recognition at "haha kirk is a poor divorced dad". but that's all they are now. character traits to hang on a sequence of events.

also the animation really isn't very good. it's mostly just digital distortion than any really good hand-drawn animation. you could do something amazing with a cartoon city stretching and vanishing into a black hole, but this aint it

SavageHedgehog

Sadly it's probably the best, or at least most fluid, animation on an adult series at the moment though.