Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:25:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Critical Perception versus Your Views, or Something

Started by Polymorphia, October 05, 2020, 10:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polymorphia

I'm quite interested in how critical perception can differ from and alter one's own perception of media, especially if one is ignorant of such reviews. Case study 1:

In my case, when watching the Blackadder Series for the first time, while I noticed a difference in the characters between 1 and 2/3, I don't think I acclaimed 1 any lower as a result (I might well have acclaimed it higher in my mind, maybe out of love for the setting). This was some of my first forays into the comedy (and the classics thereof), and I was completely ignorant of 1 being rated lower than the others (though common perception now, I believe, is that it isn't worse, just different). After seeing critical reviews, I can't help but have 1 lower in my mind from them despite generally enjoying 1 more than 2 and 3 (I found 3 a difficult watch for some reason, despite people acclaiming it the best of the 4). I've been rewatching bits of 2 and 4 recently, and they're almost comfort food in their gags, very mild, very good, blah blah blah...

Anway, enough of Blackadder. I want to know if the critics have changed your opinion against your will, or times when you've disagreed with their mass opinion, especially if you're coming after-the-fact, like me.
(Blackadder ended a full decade before I was born, no I haven't watched Back and Forth, never will either - hold on, is this just me accepting the critic's word as gospel? Uh nuh!)

Edit: despite this being in Comedy Chat, I want to hear opinions on this idea about any media or art really, get a good range of views if they're out there

Utter Shit

I came to Blackadder quite late and I don't really see the fuss. It feels very formulaic to me, although the performances are mostly great and it has the odd fantastic episode like the Flashheart one and the dictionary one. I certainly don't dislike it, and there's plenty to enjoy in each episode, but I don't think of it as a classic at all.

thenoise

I've persevered with a few comedies beyond the point that I would have otherwise done because so many friends and critics (and you lot on CAB) rave about it so much.

The Office, first time round, i ended up watching them all because it was so acclaimed. It was fine, but rather slight, and very few laughs for me I'm afraid. The Christmas special was quite effective, as a drama, but not many laughs.

I cant quite write off Gervais completely as i do enjoy his various radio shows.

mippy

I haven't seen it since it all originally went out on telly - I think the weight of critical appraisal would make it really hard to enjoy on its own merits now.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I watched it all again recently, and it still stands up. At 20 years remove, it's easy to ignore all the ridiculous hype and accept it for what it is - a well-written, well-performed mockumentary with a satisfying emotional core. Plus it's funny, which is quite important.

While watching it again, I didn't even mind the fact that Gervais has subsequently shown that he's every bit as needy, insecure and pathetic as Brent. In hindsight it's obvious that his performance is so effective because he's channelling the worst aspects of his own personality. He is, or perhaps was, aware of this on some level, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to co-write that character in the first place. There's no way he'd admit to that now though.

Shit Good Nose

Anything with Roy Clarke's name on it gives me shivers, even accepted-by-the-masses-as-bona-fide-sitcom-masterpieces Open All Hours and Keeping Up Appearances, the latter being, in my opinion, one of the worst creative things ever concocted by human beings.

Similarly Carla Lane, although not quite to the same degree and I know Bread (which I grew up loathing) latterly has something of a growing negative renaissance.

Bronzy

Never understood the appeal of Gavin & Stacey to be honest, was it actually intended to be funny?

I watched a few episodes of it and it struck me as being a comedy show for people who don't really like comedy.

jobotic

Can't really understand the love on here for Only Fools and Horses myself. I mean, it's alright, not awful but I don't see what makes it such a classic.

As I've said before, all the American alpha males with podcasts. I do get the Norm MacDonald love though.

Thursday

Fawlty Towers is one of the big ones for me that I just don't enjoy very much. I know it's clearly good at doing what it sets out to do, it's just I find it stressful to watch. The whole style of farce and situations escalating through a misunderstanding... it's almost just anxiety inducing and not very funny to me, but obviously is to most people.