Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:09:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Moore's The Show.

Started by Glebe, October 06, 2020, 12:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

The Show teaser.

Admittedly I've still not seen the Show Pieces short films yet, but anyway. Looks odd and intriguing.

bgmnts

You'll always get something different with Moore, i'm down.

zomgmouse

Do we know when this is being properly released?

olliebean

Where can I watch Show Pieces? Amazon shows it as "currently unavailable to watch in your location." Am I going to be forced to acquire it by unofficial means?

frajer

God this brings back a good memory. I saw Show Pieces at the Leeds International Film Festival, with a Q&A afterwards from Alan Moore and Mitch Jenkins. Moore was on great form and very warm and enthusiastic, I think especially as the screening went down so well. Great film and a top night.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: olliebean on October 06, 2020, 03:47:16 PM
Where can I watch Show Pieces? Amazon shows it as "currently unavailable to watch in your location." Am I going to be forced to acquire it by unofficial means?

It's available via Shudder, and you can sign up for a free trial at the moment - https://www.shudder.com/movies/watch/show-pieces/19a38432fe64b497

A friend of mine supported the Kickstarter and so I saw them that way and was really impressed, so can't wait to see The Show now, though I won't risk seeing it at any of the Film Festivals and will wait for an online release.

Sebastian Cobb

Alan Moore and Lex Records. I'm in.

The Roofdog

Impressed they managed to get Roy Wood

Mister Six

Will watching the Show Pieces spoil my enjoyment of the finished thing, you reckon? Are they fragments of the film, or running adjacent to it?

Quote from: Glebe on October 06, 2020, 12:23:21 AM
The Show teaser.

Admittedly I've still not seen the Show Pieces short films yet, but anyway. Looks odd and intriguing.

#blackhands #cancelled #RIPAlanMoore

Mister Six

Also I can't see the title of the film without thinking of this Clipping song, which is substantially less whimsical.

Dropshadow

I don't know much about the man Moore at all. I don't read his comics; I think they've blighted culture & I want nothing to do with them. I liked the Watchmen film and TV series; it seems he doesn't. I once watched a documentary (or something) on him called "The Mindscape of Alan Moore". It was one of the most boring things I've ever saw. And he looks so gross. Awful individual. Still, you've got to laugh.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dropshadow on October 11, 2020, 12:34:38 AM
I don't know much about the man Moore at all. ...  Awful individual.

QuoteI don't read his comics; I think they've blighted culture

I can't tell if this is good trolling or bad thinking.

Small Man Big Horse

This is being screened as part of FrightFest, and you can either buy tickets to see it at the cinema on Friday - https://www.frightfest.co.uk/ - or watch it online on September 1st at 6pm - https://watch.eventive.org/frightfest2021/play/6112e67470975e004582d6e1

Glebe

Noodle Lizard

This has been in the works for ages, hasn't it? I'm pretty sure I saw an on-set interview where he derides any suggestions that it might be reminiscent of Jodorowsky or Lynch as "utter bollocks" ... whilst sitting in front of a red curtain with mad hair and gold facepaint.

From the teaser, it does look a bit drama schoool, but I'm curious to see it nevertheless.

zomgmouse

It's been made #available if anyone's interested

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 26, 2021, 05:09:23 AM
It's been made #available if anyone's interested

Aw man, I just bought a ticket about ten minutes ago before seeing your post! Still, I can wait until Wednesday, and this way hopefully some tiny amount of money will find its way to Moore.

zomgmouse

Treat yourself to a cinema outing!

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 26, 2021, 10:38:44 AM
Aw man, I just bought a ticket about ten minutes ago before seeing your post! Still, I can wait until Wednesday, and this way hopefully some tiny amount of money will find its way to Moore.

I imagine Moore will get a decent chunk of the proceeds - it's a small-budget film resting almost entirely on his shoulders, and after the DC farrago he must surely have a solid lawyer at his back these days.

Noodle Lizard

Not sure if he took a deferred payment/points deal or just got paid outright. But he seems involved enough in the project that he'll feel any success it has in some way or another. Sadly, it's pretty difficult to build momentum for something that's been pushed back so often - especially something this small to begin with.

Also worth remembering Moore's probably the last person involved who could use financial help.

Magnum Valentino

I thought Moore waived his rights to DC profits years ago, part of their big falling out? Sure he's not even credited on the Marvel reprints.

13 schoolyards

I *think* the deal is that Moore gave all the movie & TV cash to his co-creators (as part of not wanting anything to do with the movies) - he still collects the checks from DC for the books he wrote.

How much movie & TV cash there was after the usual Hollywood accounting and most of the movies being duds is another question, but I assume there were at the very least some decent up front paydays he missed out on.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Mister Six on October 09, 2020, 01:09:25 AM
Will watching the Show Pieces spoil my enjoyment of the finished thing, you reckon? Are they fragments of the film, or running adjacent to it?

From what I can tell The Show is more of a follow-up/companion to Show Pieces (or Show Pieces is a lead-up to The Show). The preview image for The Show doesn't look like anything from Show Pieces at any rate.

Just watched Show Pieces (at least the streaming version, apparently there's a longer one on DVD which presumably includes more shorts?). It's pretty immersive and certain stylistically, closest I can compare it to stylistically is a particularly bold Shearsmith/Pemberton project. Not sure I fully connected with it but I'm glad I watched it.

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 27, 2021, 11:59:53 AMJust watched Show Pieces (at least the streaming version, apparently there's a longer one on DVD which presumably includes more shorts?).

Oh, that must have been what I watched in october

QuoteShow Pieces
Devilishly delicious and strangely relaxing. It's a shame it wasn't twice as long.

I reckoned. So this is different? I'll have to get this, I really enjoyed that preview thing.

zomgmouse

Yes so Show Pieces is three interconnected short films - but apparently the streaming version and DVD version are different lengths (not sure though).

olliebean

Based on what info I can find online (primarily Wikipedia and the Kickstarter for the last short), there are 5 short films; the streaming version includes films 1, 3, and 5, while the DVD includes all of them (and is about 18 minutes longer). I presume films 2 and 4 are less directly relevant to the story (they're described in the Kickstarter as "companion pieces"), as it would seem an odd decision to exclude them from the streaming version otherwise.

zomgmouse

Ah that's interesting - would definitely like to see those for completionism's sake.

Watched about 10mins of the feature - it's definitely a follow-up. The protagonist of this goes looking for someone from the shorts who "disappeared".

zomgmouse

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 29, 2021, 01:34:00 AM
Ah that's interesting - would definitely like to see those for completionism's sake.

Watched about 10mins of the feature - it's definitely a follow-up. The protagonist of this goes looking for someone from the shorts who "disappeared".

Finished it - definitely a follow-up, probably stands up on its own but definitely enhanced by having seen Show Pieces. I thought this really developed and honed the style and took it to another level with the mystery angle.

Small Man Big Horse

I've just finished watching the live stream now and really enjoyed it, perhaps it's a tiny bit Lynchian but it's got its own unique feel as well, all of the cast were great but Moore especially delighted, and I really hope the sequel tv series Moore hopes to make does take place. 8.2/10