Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:22:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rock identification

Started by bgmnts, October 06, 2020, 04:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Can someone identify this igneous rock for me please? It is actually a bit darker than in the picture, like a darky grey/light black. It could well be some piece of dumped cement but it was on the rocky riverbank.

This is quite urgent.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Flouncer

the

Discarded Crunchie bar circa 1998

£600

Hand Solo

Fossiised Trypophobe's turd.

Inspector Norse

Hand Solo

Think you mixed the URLs up there, mate.

Sebastian Cobb

bgmnts

Diolch for the help people. Had to go back out in the pissing rain to get it, it was driving me mad. Its clean and on my windowsill. His name is Hudson.

Norton Canes

When you see this you'll see brick shit

madhair60

BlodwynPig

It rained for ten thousand years and he called me Hudson.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think it might be a meteor.

Captain Z

Sedimentary, my dear Watson.

The Mollusk

Inspector Norse

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

flotemysost

Quote from: Inspector Norse on October 06, 2020, 07:03:05 PM
"Depressive Black Metal"

Well it's covered in little depressions, so that would probably be the most accurate option.

unless that was the joke. Although if it's magmatic then 'sludge rock' could work as well.

AsparagusTrevor

Is that fried bread in the bottom right?

Tony Tony Tony

Basaltic Scoria?

QuoteThe word scoria comes from the Greek "skoria"= rust; Scoria is a highly vesicular, dark colored volcanic rock that may or may not contain crystals (phenocrysts). It is typically dark in color (generally dark brown, black or purplish red), and basaltic or andesitic in composition. Scoria is relatively low in mass as a result of its numerous macroscopic ellipsoidal vesicles, but in contrast to pumice, all scoria has a specific gravity greater than 1, and sinks in water.

The holes or vesicles form when gases that were dissolved in the magma come out of solution as it erupts, creating bubbles in the molten rock, some of which are frozen in place as the rock cools and solidifies. Scoria may form as part of a lava flow, typically near its surface, or as fragmental ejecta (lapilli, blocks and bombs), for instance in Strombolian eruptions that form steep-sided scoria cones. Most scoria is composed of glassy fragments, and may contain phenocrysts.

From http://www.alexstrekeisen.it/english/vulc/basalticscoria.php

buzby

It looks like Vesicular Basalt:

Gas and steam bubbles form in the molten rock due to the change in pressure as it reaches the surface..
EDIT: what Tony said above.

bgmnts

Cheers lads, I was thinking basalt on research but I read a map that said my region was mainly lime and sandstone rocks, so I wasn't 100% sure and I know piss all about geology.

steve98

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 06, 2020, 06:51:07 PM
I think it might be a meteor.

Haha, loser. It's only a "meteor" when it's in space: after it lands it's a meteorite (It's not a meteorite)

Funnily enough, that stone really does feature in the Discogs genre lists, but under hip-hop.

Trap can either be a genre of hip-hop music, or a name for any type of  'dark-coloured, fine-grained, non-granitic intrusive or extrusive igneous rock... including basalt'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_rock

https://www.discogs.com/style/trap