Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,456
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rock identification

Started by bgmnts, October 06, 2020, 04:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Quote from: steve98 on October 06, 2020, 11:21:24 PM
Haha, loser. It's only a "meteor" when it's in space: after it lands it's a meteorite (It's not a meteorite)

You ain't seen meteor, rite?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: steve98 on October 06, 2020, 11:21:24 PM
Haha, loser. It's only a "meteor" when it's in space: after it lands it's a meteorite (It's not a meteorite)

Oh dear. I have brought great shame upon myself here, and no mistake.

Blue Jam

They're not rocks, they're minerals.

Blue Jam

Jittlebags

Those holes look they've been made by vacated pebbles rather than gas, so that's either a sandy conglomerate, or more likely, as suggested weathered concrete.

Blue Jam

The holes are actually glory holes. What you've found is a cottaging hotspot for wasps.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: buzby on October 06, 2020, 10:28:03 PM
It looks like Vesicular Basalt:

Turns out there is a band called Vesicular Basalt...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1473955-Vesicular-Basalt

And they are, wait for it....... a rock group.

*Slaps thigh and looks mighty pleased*

poo

Found this in Newport? Usk River? Bollocks is it igneous then. Most likely a sedimentary limestone with pits caused by burrowing marine/freshwater animals or chemical erosion.

bgmnts

Nah in the Afon Llwyd, which was one of the more polluted rivers in the uk so could well be chemically eroded limestone.

poo

poo

Likely burrowing invertebrates rather then chemical erosion.

Captain Z

Since this thread is here, anybody know what these cylindrical - I assume fossils - are? Creatures, bits of plant, bone, or something less exciting?

Click to embiggen.

Blue Jam

ZoyzaSorris

Could be segments of crinoid (sea lily) stem. Where was it? I'd say that's a very likely guess, especially if these are somewhere with Paleozoic rocks, so somewhere in the west half of midlands or further north, or wales (perhaps Silurian rocks)

touchingcloth

Quote from: Captain Z on October 07, 2020, 05:25:03 PM
Since this thread is here, anybody know what these cylindrical - I assume fossils - are? Creatures, bits of plant, bone, or something less exciting?

Click to embiggen.

Is the picture the right way round? If the things are pointing down they're stalagmites, and if they're pointing up they're stalactites.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: poo on October 07, 2020, 05:04:02 PM
Likely burrowing invertebrates rather then chemical erosion.

Im with poo. nowhere near porous enough for basalt. organic origin id say.

bomb_dog

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 07, 2020, 07:52:13 PM
Is the picture the right way round? If the things are pointing down they're stalagmites, and if they're pointing up they're stalactites.

Marlon Brando, Susan Dando, that's how I remember 'em.

Captain Z

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on October 07, 2020, 07:47:49 PM
Could be segments of crinoid (sea lily) stem. Where was it? I'd say that's a very likely guess, especially if these are somewhere with Paleozoic rocks, so somewhere in the west half of midlands or further north, or wales (perhaps Silurian rocks)

South Wales, a cliff face by the sea. So I reckon you could be spot on, thanks.

ZoyzaSorris

Oh cool, well yeah I'd say they are 98% going to be crinoid columnals, some rocks of that era (depending where in South Wales could be anything between Cambrian and Jurassic, but with crinoids like these I'd say most likely Silurian, Devonian or Carboniferous) are very rich in them. Nice stuff. I have some nice Jurassic crinoid fossils from the north east coast of Scotland, they have a star-shaped cross-section - whereas the earlier ones from the Palaeozoic tend to have more of the cylindrical form you see here.

Some crinoid columnals, earlier (not mine)

Mine are like these:

poo

Tony Tony Tony

Someone slipped a couple of jammie dodgers in there.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I wish my anus was shaped like the top left two, it would cause some interestingly shaped stool formation. The top right has just taken too much punishment.