Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eddie Van Halen R.I.P.

Started by Head Gardener, October 06, 2020, 08:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

I immediately thought of the 'Beat It' solo, which is magnificent.

Sherman Krank

Deadie Van Halen (was going to be my thread title).

Captain Crunch

I'm going for Little Dreamer.  There are bigger hits and those backing vocal are proper naff but Jesus, that sweet lovely growl...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbixKDRxIz0

kalowski

One of my first real heroes. Despite the frantic fret frippery, he had a real style, enough talent to stand tall in a band with Diamond Dave, and the ability to innovate.
I think VH2 and Women and Children First on the way to work tomorrow.
Loud.
RIP Eddie, don't come back as a Frankenstrat.

kalowski

Quote from: Sherman Krank on October 06, 2020, 08:57:40 PM
Deadie Van Halen (was going to be my thread title).
Eddie Van Colon (cancer)

Sherman Krank

idunnosomename

You Really Got Me... into grave

Running with the Devil... into grave

Jump... into grave

Hot for Teacher... into grave

fucking shock though jesus christ. absolute shred pioneer

bgmnts

Sammy Hagar is undoubtedly delighted.

Currently listening to Hot For Teacher now, bangin' drums.

Famous Mortimer

"Hot For Teacher" is an all-time banger, with one of the greatest / stupidest music videos ever. Here's it being covered by Mutoid Man and Gina Gleason for Youtube chat show "2 Minutes To Late Night":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvYQ3svO9h0

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

idunnosomename

i had no desire to ever see him live or anything but im still kinda fuckin bummed by this

Glebe

Butchers Blind

That first record really was a statement of intent.  To put a 2 minute track that is basically a guitar solo on your debut album shows some balls.

RIP Eddie.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 07, 2020, 12:46:36 AM
That first record really was a statement of intent.  To put a 2 minute track that is basically a guitar solo on your debut album shows some balls.

RIP Eddie.
I always assumed "Eruption" was on "You Really Got Me" so Eddie could have half the songwriting credits for what is effectively a guitar solo on the front of a cover version.

Cursus

According to producer Ted Templeman, the band didn't originally think to include an instrumental on their debut.

QuoteDuring our last sessions for the album, something serendipitous happened ... Ed was by himself in the studio. I remember he was kind of noodling around on his guitar.

I was out in the little side room getting coffee. I headed back and walked out in the studio. Ed was playing what became "Eruption."

My ears perked up. I stopped him and asked, "What's that?"

"Ah, nothing. It's just something I warm up on."

"Well, let's hear it again. We gotta record it."

"Are you kidding?"

"No, we have to record it. Right away."

"Okay, I'll play it for you."

He really didn't think it was anything. But it was astounding.

Butchers Blind

TheMonk

Rolling Stone earlier shared Van Halen's last performance of Jump in 2015 at Hollywood Bowl. Woeful. DLR sounds like he's got a goose lodged in his throat.

kalowski

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 07, 2020, 10:17:51 AM
Think this is the best VH song

https://youtu.be/2euKIcljqMk
Fuck, yes!! Glorious. The album is magnificent and what a song to end on. I listened to the album on the way to work but didn't get to this. I may have a little cry on the way home to this song.

idunnosomename

Quote from: TheMonk on October 07, 2020, 12:09:08 PM
DLR sounds like he's got a goose lodged in his throat.
enjoying this image thank you

Never really enjoyed his lead playing but its influence was absolutely massive in the guitar world. His rhythm playing was godlike too.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on October 06, 2020, 09:08:56 PM
I think VH2 and Women and Children First on the way to work tomorrow.
Loud.
Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 07, 2020, 10:17:51 AM
Think this is the best VH song

https://youtu.be/2euKIcljqMk
Women and Children First is an incredible album. I love it. There are no bad tracks on that record. The sublime swagger of Everybody Wants Some!! just laughs at the emerging cock rock that tried so hard to copy VH. But how could you copy a band with the greatest frontman and greatest guitarist of the time? And as Butchers Blind says, In a Simple Rhyme could well be their greatest song. The heavy groove that follows In a Simple Rhyme was going to be used as the start of their next album too - I wish they'd done that.

At times they sound like Sabbath, sometimes like the Beach Boys. Take Your Whiskey Home shows Eddie could play the blues if he wanted.
Opening with what sounds like some weird guitar magic from Eddie, it is a phase shifter-effected Wurlitzer electric piano played through his 100-watt Marshall Plexi amplifier. Just brilliant stuff. I also loved how it says "All songs by Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and David Lee Roth." Share the royalties, boys.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: TheMonk on October 07, 2020, 12:09:08 PM
Rolling Stone earlier shared Van Halen's last performance of Jump in 2015 at Hollywood Bowl. Woeful. DLR sounds like he's got a goose lodged in his throat.

Reminded me of that Elton John lockdown performance of I'm Still Standing.

"I ET UUUUU, U NUN GEH ME DAAAAAAAA, YOO GOH TUUU, SEE TUUUST ARAAAAAA", etc.

Captain Crunch

Panama was always a favourite from a guitar playing perspective https://youtu.be/fuKDBPw8wQA

That breakdown bit after the solo is the very definition of 'all in your fingers'. You can hear the control over the instrument as he plays with the dynamics and backs the volume off a little.