Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v3: Abstainence Makes the Farce Grow Stronger

Started by BlodwynPig, October 07, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 12, 2020, 02:42:47 PM
People are terrible at assessing risk, so what they think about the risk of driving means very little regarding the risk of C19. In fact, their attitude to the risk of climate change suggests we should address the risks one by one rather than by comparing their attitudes towards other risks.

That's true, and consistent with the broader point about "acceptable risk" being a rhetorical rather than a practical consideration in a complex situation. 

NoSleep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 12, 2020, 04:54:52 PM
As soon the 2017 election result came in, Corbyn should have done everything possible to get open selection of MPs and full CLP recall through the NEC. Brexit would have acted as cover for some of the rancour that would have come from the PLP.

Look at the state of it, even now there are only 9% of the PLP with the guts to stand against the whip on basic humanitarian issues that should not, cannot be abstained on.

They were too afraid, but the Labour right fucked us over anyway even when we were playing nice. They knew it would happen, they knew they wouldn't go quietly and they knew a Brexit election ran the risk of wiping out Corbynism before it got started.

They get more sympathy as they were so under the cosh, but it, and lots of other strategy by at the top of Labour after 2017 has proven mistaken and costly.

I was really talking about now, but yes, Corbyn should have been tougher on these cunts.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on October 12, 2020, 06:42:47 PM
I was really talking about now, but yes, Corbyn should have been tougher on these cunts.

Hindsight is a horrible thing. Although some on here were calling for it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gib on October 12, 2020, 10:21:55 PM
If you were a hardcore gamer that liked gaming on a laptop and wanted to see all the latest games run on the highest settings then i'd say go for it. I could see how it really could make you happy.

But i suspect you are not that gamer Blodwyn. So what exactly is your motivation? Wonky buttons doesn't cut it mate, is it to impress the big boys at work?

Wrong thread, but i'll bite. I do a lot of computationally heavy modelling that requires fairly high spec, not enough to justify top of the range. Previously i was a bioinformatician in the early days before cloud computing, so needed 32 GB memory and multiple cores.

pancreas

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Kelvin

Thomas

Labour are to vote against the overseas operation bill if they fail to get amendments - but not the licence to kill bill, which should be waved through regardless.

https://labourlist.org/2020/10/exclusive-starmer-says-labour-should-not-vote-down-spycops-bill-even-if-unamended/?amp&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2nRCmY32DE5FrLTKaShoZ4gSDaB7r3IRjPSsDL0LmX-4C8pkXhl_5MNVA

QuoteCritics said they had doubts over the argument that the bill would be tempered by the Human Rights Act as the Tories are "reviewing" it, and were worried about sex offences not being specifically prohibited in the bill.

Baroness Chakrabarti was "impressive" when speaking against the leadership position, one source said, and Labour peer John Hendy QC told the meeting: "As a lawyer, I just cannot accept that the state has prior approval to commit crimes."

Other MPs expressed support for Starmer's stance, including home affairs committee chair Yvette Cooper, intelligence and security committee (ISC) member Diana Johnson and frontbenchers who were not allowed to speak at the meeting.

Judith Cummins, MP for Bradford South, told LabourList: "Keir demonstrated that he can make really difficult decisions if he were Prime Minister. He was very clear, convincing and really showed his expertise beyond anyone else's on the call."

Shadow railways minister and Slough MP Tan Dhesi had planned to vote against the bill, but has said he was persuaded by Starmer tonight to abstain instead. Dhesi said he was "impressed" by the "detailed response" offered.

"I trust his experience, as well as the integrity with which he put the message across," Dhesi told LabourList, concluding: "I'd rather have things on statute whereby the police or undercover agencies would be held to account by the ISC and lawmakers."

It doesn't take much creativity to imagine the possible abuses, sexual, civil, and political. MI5 are working with an informant. They nod in the direction of an inconvenient agitator. The informant kills him. MI5 get to claim (to the oversight of internal authorities) that the crime was committed to preserve the informant's cover, in the service of national security.

You don't have to look very far back through history to see similar actions.

Bernice

One source said "I was impressed by the detail with which he justified the right of the state to murder citizens. It was very forensic." Fucking idiots.

Paul Calf

Worried about sex offences not being specifically prohibited.

OK with murder though.

Optimistically speaking, a lot of psychopaths are going to find themselves with new career opportunities.

Blinder Data

Hold the front page: Starmer has taken a position on something!

He's calling for a 2-3 week circuit break lockdown in England. Puts him on the same side as scientists and divides the Tories. It'll probably have to happen anyway so at least he can look ahead of the curve.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah good, well then I take the opportunity to applaud him, he has done the right thing.

Maybe his phrase "No ifs, no buts" is still reverberating internally.

I assume the feedback from his EDL focus groups came back positive for the idea.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 13, 2020, 06:32:33 PM
Ah good, well then I take the opportunity to applaud him, he has done the right thing.

Maybe his phrase "No ifs, no buts" is still reverberating internally.

I assume the feedback from his EDL focus groups came back positive for the idea.

ALL IS FORGIVEN.

Fuck that.

honeychile

Felt like a bit of an open goal, but yeah sensible move for once.

I've emailed my (abstainer) MP telling him to amend the fuck out of Spy Cops or vote to send it fucking packing.

I fully anticipate a reply in six weeks retrospectively justifying why he voted for the unamended legislation.

olliebean

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 13, 2020, 05:42:22 PM
Hold the front page: Starmer has taken a position on something!

He's calling for a 2-3 week circuit break lockdown in England. Puts him on the same side as scientists and divides the Tories. It'll probably have to happen anyway so at least he can look ahead of the curve.

On the same side as the scientists, just 3 weeks later.

Blinder Data

Quote from: olliebean on October 13, 2020, 10:22:11 PM
On the same side as the scientists, just 3 weeks later.

TBF the SAGE minutes were only published a day or two ago.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 13, 2020, 11:11:31 PM
TBF the SAGE minutes were only published a day or two ago.

I think he knew the advice. He could have sought his own advice and led the debate as well.

NoSleep

Or used common sense, which have been of better use back when he was pushing for schools to reopen (now clearly seen as the danger it so obviously would become; children being the worst [silent] kind of spreader of covid-19) and sacking RLB so they could replace her with somebody to "get tough" on the teachers' union. They could have asked me and my best guess (based on what we know about how covid-19 spreads) would have been better than what has been allowed to unfold.

Sebastian Cobb

idunnosomename

Now THAT'S what politics ought to be. True affection between proper people. Tear to eye. Boner to pants.

NoSleep

Just got an email from Keith telling me to get on twitter and facebook to tell everyone to pressure the government about a lockdown. Clearly rushing all the kids back to school and "getting the country back to work", as he directly urged the government to do, isn't working out so well.

This "circuit breaker" bollocks is not going to help either; lockdown needs to be maintained until we no longer need one, otherwise it will surge back or at best pave the way for the third wave. These people are truly stupid.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on October 14, 2020, 03:51:49 PM
Just got an email from Keith telling me to get on twitter and facebook to tell everyone to pressure the government about a lockdown. Clearly rushing all the kids back to school and "getting the country back to work", as he directly urged the government to do, isn't working out so well.

This "circuit breaker" bollocks is not going to help either; lockdown needs to be maintained until we no longer need one, otherwise it will surge back or at best pave the way for the third wave. These people are truly stupid.

close all threads, this post sums it up perfectly.

Kelvin

Quote from: NoSleep on October 14, 2020, 03:51:49 PM

He's not even reversed his position on schools, which are clearly the biggest factor in the recent rise. He's suggesting the "break" happens over half term, so he's not even trying to prevent the most obvious opportunity for spread.