Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:29:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v3: Abstainence Makes the Farce Grow Stronger

Started by BlodwynPig, October 07, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Bazooka on October 14, 2020, 06:31:07 PM
Just nipping out for a massive circuit breaker,back in 10.

disease. part of the problem. traitor.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Kelvin on October 14, 2020, 04:46:09 PM
He's not even reversed his position on schools, which are clearly the biggest factor in the recent rise. He's suggesting the "break" happens over half term, so he's not even trying to prevent the most obvious opportunity for spread.

He wanted children back in school "no ifs, no buts".

Well done for painting himself in to that corner, the master strategist. Adults back in the room.

king_tubby

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1316443729452990464

QuoteLabour has appointed a former aide to Tony Blair, Nita Clarke, to look at the "culture of the party" and help build "election winning organisation"

Clarke was no fan of Corbyn or Brexit, saying it was "morally bankrupt" to back him for PM/imploring JK Rowling to set up new party

Fucking hell. Read another book, for fuck's sake.

BlodwynPig

The exact quote was

"Kids. Get them back to school and down the mines. No IFS, No BUTS. If I U-turn on this, strip me, wrap me in nettles and chuck me in a mini-wicker man, to be burned on New Year's Eve".

NoSleep

I doubt that he said the last bit (actually giving directions). Might affect his electability in the new year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Re: the statement on another Blairite appointment

When they talk about winning in 2024 are they actually serious? Have they seen the size of the swing that will be required? Even if we win 80 seats that won't do it.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 14, 2020, 07:36:05 PM
Re: the statement on another Blairite appointment

When they talk about winning in 2024 are they actually serious? Have they seen the size of the swing that will be required? Even if we win 80 seats that won't do it.

And the election will be fixed in a hundred obvious ways.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nita Clarke's appointment, more evidence we've been mugged.

'Wait and see' say people being proven wrong with dramatic speed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 14, 2020, 08:33:03 PM
Nita Clarke's appointment, more evidence we've been mugged.

'Wait and see' say people being proven wrong with dramatic speed.

Blodwyn's Razor was never dulled in this regard.

"I'm calling upon..." etc etc. (ok, you'll retort with some sophistry).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Journey back to electorability says faction responsible for

2005 - 35.2%
2010 - 29.1%
2015 - 30.4%

For comparison:

2017 - 40%
2019 - 32.3%

holyzombiejesus

Think this is the most despondent I've felt, politically. Even worse then the last election. Just cunts everywhere. I finished the Owen Jones book about the Corbyn years today and it's one of the most depressing things I've ever read. Even the first half ("Rise"), whilst giving me goose bumps also brought me very close to tears when I knew how such a decent man and that powerful, glorious feeling of hope were utterly fucked over by cunts and shitty circumstances. I hate continually looking back but it's not like there's anything to look forward to.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Often enormous crises force a new political reality upon those who  would not otherwise have accepted the need, ideologically or practically.

We have to fight tooth and nail for NEC representation, otherwise find leftwing but ostensibly cross-party causes to back like the environment, universal basic income, even something like assisted dying (not the DWP kind). The left need a trojan horse/wedge issue they can use. They also need a leader.

Sultana?

Either way, if there is even a hint of a charismatic left leader emerging I reckon the left have a narrow chance of toppling Starmer. Realistically we will probably wait til 2024 and find Starmer has done just enough to stay in the job.

king_tubby

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BlodwynPig

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 14, 2020, 09:22:22 PM

Just as well energy and transport policy don't relate to anything important like climate change. Or poor people stuck at home freezing to death. What is a priority? Keeping Rule Britannia?

chveik

there's no way hiring twitter nutcases is going to backfire...

Pinball

Worst cohort of politicians (both main parties) for over a century? And here we are.

king_tubby

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The only person I previously knew who still responds to Iraq and geopolitics with 'So youd rather bad man was in' was John McTernan.

So Keir Starmer has hired someone on the extreme end of Blairism as his advisor.

bgmnts

Saddam Hussein or his descendants? Were Iraqi presidencies like monarchies?

Buelligan

I was chatting to a Portuguese man and a Sri Lankan today about UK politics, both, independently, said Britain is fucking itself and is run by idiots.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 14, 2020, 08:58:03 PM
Think this is the most despondent I've felt, politically. Even worse then the last election. Just cunts everywhere. I finished the Owen Jones book about the Corbyn years today and it's one of the most depressing things I've ever read. Even the first half ("Rise"), whilst giving me goose bumps also brought me very close to tears when I knew how such a decent man and that powerful, glorious feeling of hope were utterly fucked over by cunts and shitty circumstances. I hate continually looking back but it's not like there's anything to look forward to.

I feel similar but the pain of watching Britain publicly ruining itself is galvanising the intention in me to never, ever, soft pedal again.  Not that I have that much but I'm determined, in any future that may still happen not to let these cunts, any cunts, have so much as a toe-hold and not to tolerate anyone who will.  Not even for a second.

I also think about that parallel universe where we stood by Corbyn and purged the Party.  Sometimes I go there, just for a couple of hours.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 14, 2020, 11:04:34 PM
The only person I previously knew who still responds to Iraq and geopolitics with 'So youd rather bad man was in' was John McTernan.

So Keir Starmer has hired someone on the extreme end of Blairism as his advisor.

She's another of these who make you wonder why they ever joined the Labour Party to begin with. Unless it genuinely was an attempt to infiltrate and destroy from within? They seem to have no ideals, no opinions beyond how it will play to Sun and Mail readers, as if they'll ever vote Labour. I always wonder what they would say if you asked them to describe their ideal society? If they could pass any pet policies through with no opposition, what hypothetically, would they be? All I can ever imagine them saying is, "basically the same as now, but forever". That thing above about how now is not the time to be thinking about nationalising key industries, etc, just sums it up. Things like that are not seen as part of the solution, but needless distractions that could and should only ever be thought of as little bonuses, whilst retaining the status quo. No imagination, or ideology whatsoever. And our glorious leader is bringing people like this in as advisors? We are well and truly fucked, aren't we?