Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:16:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v3: Abstainence Makes the Farce Grow Stronger

Started by BlodwynPig, October 07, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Buelligan

Very weird people.  Saw one saying Corbyn demanded absolute loyalty when he was leader.  Wut?

But they're like some of the demented trolls we've had here in the past.  It's just noise, not worth engaging with.

king_tubby

king_tubby

Sorry, that sounds really patronising, but I'm eating my tea right now.

Sebastian Cobb

king_tubby

jobotic

Dodds spoke at my union branch AGM years ago. She was great then. What a crying shame.

If you're looking at big unions telling Starmer to do one the Unison leadership election could be important. Anyone here voting and if so how? Holmes?

dothestrand

I don't think Labour have handled this particularly well, but the Labour left needs to move on from Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott, etc. It needs new leadership, new ideas - the problem is that Burgon and Long-Bailey are total lightweights.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dothestrand on November 20, 2020, 09:15:15 PM
I don't think Labour have handled this particularly well, but the Labour left needs to move on from Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott, etc. It needs new leadership, new ideas - the problem is that Burgon and Long-Bailey are total lightweights.

Take a hike, cretin.

NoSleep

That doesn't recognise that the movement that sprung up around Corbyn was nothing to do with being lead there.

holyzombiejesus

Made the mistake of watching Have I Got News For You tonight. Joan Bakewell says Corbyn deserves to have the whip removed because "he broke the law." Cut to some witless dickhead called Fin Taylor saying that we had an opposition for a few days but now it's over because Corbyn won't stay in his box, and suggesting we bomb Glastonbury to get rid of the 200,000 Corbyn fans in the country. Then Hislop says that the Labour Party have taken scrutiny away from the government by "letting Corbyn back in". I know it serves me right but, fuck me.

holyzombiejesus

Richard Burgon has more redeemable features in his little finger than you have in your entire family tree, you stupid fucking twat.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 20, 2020, 10:08:35 PM
Made the mistake of watching Have I Got News For You tonight. Joan Bakewell says Corbyn deserves to have the whip removed because "he broke the law." Cut to some witless dickhead called Fin Taylor saying that we had an opposition for a few days but now it's over because Corbyn won't stay in his box, and suggesting we bomb Glastonbury to get rid of the 200,000 Corbyn fans in the country. Then Hislop says that the Labour Party have taken scrutiny away from the government by "letting Corbyn back in". I know it serves me right but, fuck me.

Is the money worth it?

jobotic

Must be what this tweet is about

https://twitter.com/Simon_Whitten/status/1329906307130920968?fbclid=IwAR12cMUIgBxsXN4_UfCaDofDRPmsOAVUijiHmluE2b_xjX1Bvuu1-ZzCYiw

Buelligan

What are they so afraid of?  If it's only 200,000 of us?

jobotic

https://twitter.com/JessicaLBarnard/status/1329915169980506114

Looking at his twitter feed I don't think being a sub-Lozza is going to be as lucrative as he thinks. This could be his moment.

But yes, it's not this no-mark, it's the BBC broadcasting this shit.

honeychile

I noticed on his Twitter feed recently that even Mark Steel has thrown in the towel regarding the antisemitism bullshit. Mark Thomas simply hasn't addressed the issue on  Twitter - no idea if he's touched on it in his live(streamed) shows.

The last five years have demonstrated - to anyone who was unconvinced by its class-hatred during the years of neoliberal consensus - the utter venality of british comedy. Satire borders on the non-existent. Given that i always viewed Chris Morris as something of an old-school centrist/centre-right figure in the Peter Oborne vein, i'd actually be keen to hear his views on british politics and satire. His interviews for The day shall come demonstrated someone who still actually gets it:

QuoteSnow: Isn't Trump half the time many steps ahead of you?

Morris: Ahead of me? Ha ha ha ha.

Snow: Yeah, ahead of you. Ahead of you in the sense that he's doing things even you might not have dreamt an american president could do.

Morris: But it's not about the failure of your imagination to get to a point, it's what he's doing. And i think that, for example, if you look at Trump, suddenly the FBI were momentarily the good guys, because they might bring him down. No, they're never the good guys. But his technique fooled everyone into a moment's mistake - "oh, suddenly the FBI are the good guys". No. It's like with Nixon, the FBI instigated the Watergate inquiry. Didn't make them the good guys then, they were up to their necks in COINTELPRO. So Trump's move is to confuse people, yes, but you've got to stick to what's actually happening.

The above was the only perceptive thig i've heard from a british comedian in i don't know when.

king_tubby

Oh yeah, Mark Steel was saying some bullshit about Corbyn letting Gilad Altzmon in the Labour Party the other day, I mean, for fuck's sake.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jobotic on November 20, 2020, 10:54:52 PM
https://twitter.com/JessicaLBarnard/status/1329915169980506114

Looking at his twitter feed I don't think being a sub-Lozza is going to be as lucrative as he thinks. This could be his moment.

But yes, it's not this no-mark, it's the BBC broadcasting this shit.

A poor man's Geoff Norcott. Oh Icarus.

chveik

Quote from: king_tubby on November 20, 2020, 11:19:43 PM
Oh yeah, Mark Steel was saying some bullshit about Corbyn letting Gilad Altzmon in the Labour Party the other day, I mean, for fuck's sake.

currently listening to a Robert Wyatt album where he plays. spooky

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: king_tubby on November 20, 2020, 11:19:43 PM

Really? Oh, ffs.

At least we can rely on Alexei and his imaginary sandwich bar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMCKd4x0CHQ

greenman

Quote from: Buelligan on November 20, 2020, 07:49:54 PM
Very weird people.  Saw one saying Corbyn demanded absolute loyalty when he was leader.  Wut?

But they're like some of the demented trolls we've had here in the past.  It's just noise, not worth engaging with.

Well realistically if you depended on the BBC and the Guardian for your news that wouldn't be a viewpoint that was that hard to understand, add in a healthy dash of ego saving self delusion.

Buelligan

Yep.  I saw someone else say He's [Corbyn's] broken the law so he shouldn't be in the Party or words to that effect. 

And I thought to myself, remember, every time they start a pogrom or a purge, Truth is the first casualty.  If you can't respect and protect truth, what makes you think you're behaving decently?

Buelligan

Ash Sarkar has some interesting thoughts to share, as usual -

QuoteBut better party strategy, or fairer media coverage, does not result in a healthier antiracist politic. Put it this way: the bullying of black MPs might be stamped out, but it would not mean that Labour's policy on policing or immigration would improve. Milani might be treated in a respectful fashion at CLP meetings, but that would not necessarily change how Muslims are perceived in politics more generally. It's absurd that when we discuss the question of Islamophobia in politics, the conversation focuses on the ill-advised tweets of politicians or insults lobbed amongst the membership. Why isn't it considered an indictment of the Labour party's race politics that the individuals involved in driving the country to war with Iraq – bombing the living daylights out of the Middle East on flimsy and discredited pretexts – still enjoy a comfortable place in public life? Perhaps it says something that the humanity of those countless Iraqi dead has never been seen as the business of politics proper. Racism has never been the mere sum total of how individuals treat one another. It's about domestic policy, geopolitics and power.

It is these structures which determine the hierarchy of racism that have emerged. The antisemitism crisis in Labour is a crisis of the fragmented terrain of antiracism, of communities being set into competition with one another to be heard. I don't have any particular optimism that this will improve any time soon. But we can start by rejecting the toxic logic of "no other minority".

https://novaramedia.com/2020/11/19/no-other-minority-keir-starmers-silence-on-the-islamophobia-report-speaks-volumes-about-labours-hierarchy-of-racism/

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on November 21, 2020, 04:41:05 PM
Ash Sarkar has some interesting thoughts to share, as usual -

https://novaramedia.com/2020/11/19/no-other-minority-keir-starmers-silence-on-the-islamophobia-report-speaks-volumes-about-labours-hierarchy-of-racism/

Yeah I posted that the other day and it got lost in a busy period.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 19, 2020, 07:34:49 PM
I'd say that this is a direct result of 'single-issue antiracists', proof that their shithousery causes damage outside of their enemies.

Fambo Number Mive

From the Metro

Quote...After complaining that Dylan fans are 'so dogmatic' in their opinions that he is the greatest musician of all time, he continued: 'People who like Corbyn, it's like, what, it's 200,000 people in the Labour Party that are fanatics.  'So all you've got to do is, next year, bomb Glastonbury, hopefully Dylan's headlining. Two birds, one stone.'...

I never thought a comedian would be the one openly imagining the deaths of people with different political views on UK television. Then again, if it's a comedian they can dismiss it as a "joke".

If a comedian had joked about the killing of Johnson fans there would be hundreds of complaints and the blue ticks and Tory grifter accounts would be all over it calling for the BBC to be sold to Jacob Rees Mogg and for the comedian in question to go to prison.

Whatever the Tories or Starmer do to the left or the country in the next few years the centerist talking heads will giggle along with it. It is astonishing that the editor of Private Eye puts up with this bullshit, and it's also interesting how many young comedians seem to be going down the Spiked road. Never heard of Fin Taylor before this so maybe he's just doing this for coverage, but either way it says a lot about him.

Still can't believe that Have I Got Neoliberalism For You is allowed to return live during a second lockdown with cases still over 20,000 a day. I guess it's handy anti-left propaganda for the Tories. Was the programme as critical of the government as it was of Corbyn and his supporters?

holyzombiejesus

I don't care as much about the comedian's comments as Bakewell's. She's a highly respected veteran broadcaster who blatantly lied on air about Corbyn. She wasn't being satirical, or silly, or funny, she was being very serious and stated that Corbyn had broken the law and therefore deserved to have the whip withdrawn. They wouldn't have said that about a tory. They take the piss out of Johnson, sometimes quite savagely (well, as savage as this mouldy old crock of shit ever gets) but it's always done either comically or as an opinion, or factually. Not some utter lie by someone that people will generally believe.

Fambo Number Mive

Bakewell is a Labour party peer as well, but given the current state of the party they'd probably reward her for her lie. Maybe she gets to have breakfast with Starmar or something.