Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v3: Abstainence Makes the Farce Grow Stronger

Started by BlodwynPig, October 07, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 23, 2020, 05:24:40 PM
"when the revolution comes, I'm gonna let you live" is a similar joke that lefties make that implies the mass murdering of political opponents. Or 'gulag'. "The last person who entered the houses of parliament with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes" could be deemed to be an offensive joke by everyone from the centre-left to the far-right.

It's funny because throughout history it is actually leftists that have been murdered the most, it was leftists within Russia that went to the gulags and communists outside of Russia that were murdered in their millions in concentration camps.

Guy Fawkes wasn't a leftist!? He was a Catholic fundementalist terrorist (shit i'm doing what that Fin bloke said we do).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 23, 2020, 05:16:02 PM
If Frankie Boyle was on HIGNFY and joked about dropping bombs over the host city of the Tory party conference, we'd all be yukking it up.

You see it all the time on social media: left shitposters relentlessly trolling centrists and then pearl-clutching when their political enemy says something distasteful or could be interpreted as such if you withhold benefit of the doubt. Of course the other side gives as good as it gets...

It was a crap joke and there are very fine people on both sides. I agree with Kelvin.

I don't agree with you and would like a hundred cattle to shove you into an industrial sized tumble drier for 10 minutes.

JaDanketies

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 23, 2020, 06:15:20 PM
It's funny because throughout history it is actually leftists that have been murdered the most, it was leftists within Russia that went to the gulags and communists outside of Russia that were murdered in their millions in concentration camps.

Guy Fawkes wasn't a leftist!? He was a Catholic fundementalist terrorist (shit i'm doing what that Fin bloke said we do).

Yeah but it's leftists nowadays who make Gulag jokes, and I think the Guy Fawkes joke is making a comment about how you can't trust any of the bastards - a sentiment I feel is more commonly associated with the left in the UK.

I wouldn't make a gulag joke and I do not associate with anyone who would, Stalinist purges were obscene and not a laughing matter. I only get slightly po-faced about it though.

Buelligan

Yeah but the last honest person to go into the Houses of Parliament was Jeremy Corbyn but that isn't funny because we done him up like a fucking kipper.  And he hates Jewish people.  That's hardly a huge laugh.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotetheir political enemy

Their oppressors, to be exact.

Perhaps we should move the moral highground on from who is most proficient at social media point scoring to who is powerful and who is not powerful, who is suffering and who is benefitting from the current system.

Young people could be forgiven for being snide and attacking easy targets online what with having their whole futures stolen from them.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 23, 2020, 06:18:52 PM
Yeah but it's leftists nowadays who make Gulag jokes, and I think the Guy Fawkes joke is making a comment about how you can't trust any of the bastards - a sentiment I feel is more commonly associated with the left in the UK.

I wouldn't make a gulag joke and I do not associate with anyone who would, Stalinist purges were obscene and not a laughing matter. I only get slightly po-faced about it though.

I've never heard a single lefty make a gulag joke in my life or jokes about Guy Fawkes but i'm not really sure you are very clear on what took place in the Stalinist purges anyway (here is a hint.....he killed a lot of leftwing trade unionists, intellectuals and Trotskyists).

There is this cartoon you might want to watch.......

BlodwynPig

Do you know what I think...?

JaDanketies should be shoved into a big tumble dryer by a herd of cattle quite near the site of a former gulag.

JaDanketies

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 23, 2020, 06:33:25 PM
I've never heard a single lefty make a gulag joke in my life or jokes about Guy Fawkes but i'm not really sure you are very clear on what took place in the Stalinist purges anyway (here is a hint.....he killed a lot of leftwing trade unionists, intellectuals and Trotskyists).

There is this cartoon you might want to watch.......

Younger people make gulag jokes on left-leaning Facebook groups; they are described as 'tankies'. If you accepted this fact - that young people who describe themselves as left-leaning and espouse a kind of authoritarian Marxism also make Gulag jokes on social media - then you would see your comments about my knowledge of the Gulags are irrelevant.

JaDanketies

Went on Twitter, searched for 'gulag' under most recent, and this was the first person making a Gulag joke. Their bio is "She/her, trans. Does it make me an anarcho-transhumanist if I'm an anarchist and I want to live forever," which certainly makes them sound like a leftie. Click on their profile and their tweets are things like 'communism is good'.

Ergo some lefties make gulag jokes. I doubt you'll find a right-winger making one, too. What's with the defensiveness about this fact? Some lefties have made bad taste jokes about mass murdering their opponents - it doesn't mean that all lefties are wrong!

oh and here's a picture they shared:

This is not intended as a defence of the gulags, or a statement that Stalinist purges were a good thing, or that Stalin purged the right, or that Stanilism represents any kind of leftist thought I would associate with. It's merely a statement that some left-wing people make jokes about gulags.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 23, 2020, 06:54:20 PM
Younger people make gulag jokes on left-leaning Facebook groups; they are described as 'tankies'. If you accepted this fact - that young people who describe themselves as left-leaning and espouse a kind of authoritarian Marxism also make Gulag jokes on social media - then you would see your comments about my knowledge of the Gulags are irrelevant.

Not really.  It's just that you are ascribing tankies to the left when the majority of the lefts relationship with tankies, and the reason why they are "tankies" is largely one of revulsion due to their pro-war views.

This is because of propaganda in which tankies are said to be representative of the left when in any modern sense barely exist and the Communist Party of Britain has less than a 1000 members.

Young people describing themselves as tankies is weird and sounds like a 4chan joke you may be falling for.

If you knew all of this and your Russian history then me telling you about it would be irrelevant, but that isn't the dimension we are living in.

JaDanketies

I didn't say young people describe themselves as tankies, I said other people describe them as tankies. And I also said it's not a leftism I would recognise but they certainly see themselves as lefties and involve themselves in leftie groups discussing leftie things. As if that landlord execution meme would be shared by a right-winger, or that right-wingers espouse communism.

Going on about your knowledge of Russian history is smarmy and frankly irrelevant. I would make some statement about my knowledge of the gulags but it's just an attempt to change the subject for some I'm-smarter-than-you duel-off, despite the fact that you read "they are described as tankies" as "they describe themselves as tankies".

Seems like a lot of words and smart arseness to say "I don't think tankies are leftwing".fair enough. They are as far removed from the left on this board as Thatcher is, agreed. But they probably voted Bernie and Corbyn

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 23, 2020, 06:56:56 PM
Something something without critical thought and picture of pepe.

Yes I think there is bit of thing between 4chan racists and leftwing agitators.  That is what the frog is about in your picture.  This is very specific to the culture that exists in that space where both sides are locking in war of being edgy - when they are really just sad lonely geeks on an internet forum.

These people are not representative of society and whilst existing in small amounts are actually indistinguishable from 4chan racists parodieing them.

JaDanketies

Oh wow thanks for informing me about Pepe the Frog and 4chan edgelords. Maybe tomorrow I'll learn how to turn the laptop on and open my emails.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 23, 2020, 07:13:19 PM
I said other people describe them as tankies.

You said "they are described as tankies".

no need to get upset, it's not a big deal, it's just most people with any knowledge of how the left has been propangandised into being representativve of groups that have actually murdered them don't talk about it in the way you set things out.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 23, 2020, 07:19:09 PM
Oh wow thanks for informing me about Pepe the Frog and 4chan edgelords. Maybe tomorrow I'll learn how to turn the laptop on and open my emails.

I'm pointing out the picture you are using as evidence is quite specific to an internet forum.

I don't know whether you know who pepe the frog is because again you aren't really building in what that frog being there means into any of your analysis.  Which is weird.

TrenterPercenter

So it isn't "some leftists" it's tankies that go on 4chan[nb]or people posing as them[/nb].

Cheers.

Buelligan

Meanwhile, in a galaxy far, far, away

Quote from: The Evening Standard and FuckJeremy Corbyn has been told by Labour's chief whip that he must apologise "unequivocally, unambiguously and without reservation" for claiming that the the scale of anti-Semitism in the party had been "dramatically overstated for political reasons".

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-apologise-anti-semitism-labour-chief-whip-b77374.html

I hope Nick Brown's cock falls off in the bath and I don't care if saying this upsets anyone, especially Nick Brown The Cunt.  Thanks.

Johnny Yesno

oh and here's a picture they shared:

This is not intended as a defence of the gulags, or a statement that Stalinist purges were a good thing, or that Stalin purged the right, or that Stanilism represents any kind of leftist thought I would associate with. It's merely a statement that some left-wing people make jokes about gulags.

Isn't that supposed to be the French Revolution?

Zetetic

Quote from: Kelvin on November 23, 2020, 04:55:14 PM
irony actually isn't the right word, as he's not playing a character.
Think "irony" is broad enough to carry any utterance that's intended with very little literalness.

Cuellar

TrenterPercenter

Fair is fair this is good disclaimer JD.

Btw i've only ever heard rightwingers joke about gulags saying that leftwingers want to throw people in them.

Zetetic

Is opposing jokes about guillotining landlords on the basis that it makes discourse about literally guillotining landlords harder, a bankable opinion these days?

I'm prepared to hold it authentically or ironically, I'm not bothered.

BlodwynPig

Landlords, shoved in industrial tumble dryers by loads of cows.

Paul Calf

I think we should treat with scrupulous fairness and objectivity those people whose greed, ignorance and lust for power and wealth drive them to literally any resort and would kill us and fuck our corpses if they thought it they could turn it to their advantage.

Kelvin

Quote from: Zetetic on November 23, 2020, 08:06:15 PM
Think "irony" is broad enough to carry any utterance that's intended with very little literalness.

That's what I thought. I ended up doubting myself, but I was right the first time!

chveik

Quote from: Zetetic on November 23, 2020, 08:10:27 PM
Is opposing jokes about guillotining landlords on the basis that it makes discourse about literally guillotining landlords harder, a bankable opinion these days?

we could always do both.

I'd make 'jokes' about gulags, I don't see what the problem is since I'd never be invited on TV.

colacentral

Quote from: Buelligan on November 23, 2020, 07:38:54 PM
Meanwhile, in a galaxy far, far, away

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-apologise-anti-semitism-labour-chief-whip-b77374.html

I hope Nick Brown's cock falls off in the bath and I don't care if saying this upsets anyone, especially Nick Brown The Cunt.  Thanks.

It's a cliche to compare everything to 1984, but in this case it is a perfect analogy. They're asking corbyn how many fingers they're holding up. They are pressuring him to take back the truth and go along with a lie, when everyone involved knows it's a lie. There isn't a single person in the Labour right or in the political pundit class who don't know that a handful of labour members having warped views of jewish people is grounds to suggest jewish people should flee the country under a Labour government, but so few have enough sense of shame to admit it.

Obviously this is nothing new to anyone here, but I was just struck by how revolting the quote from Brown is, in how brazenly someone could ask someone else to lie to keep their job, in public, when the truth is so easily verified.