Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v3: Abstainence Makes the Farce Grow Stronger

Started by BlodwynPig, October 07, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: lipsink on November 29, 2020, 11:11:32 AM
I don't get it. I mean I fucking hate the cunt but I don't see what's wrong with what he's wearing? Maybe I have no sense of style either.

There's nothing wrong with what he's wearing.  It's the smile.  Look at the eyes.  A smile is just bared teeth unless it touches the soul.  You can put a soul like that in sheep's clothing and it would still look frightening.

thugler

I don't know why it always has to descend into attacking really innocuous boring things like his clothing or him looking awkward or whatever. This is exactly the kind of thing we would call foul on when it happened repeatedly to Corbyn. I know there's an element of enjoying giving it back as good as we received it, but i wish it was more focused and directed into shitty things he's actually done and is doing. Even if he was dressing well we'd be picking that apart as being stage managed flash behaviour.

Buelligan

Did you read what I wrote directly above you?

I suspect what's going on here is that people, me included, are enjoying having a laugh at someone who's really harming something we care about enormously.  Or are we going to ban that conversation too?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: thugler on November 29, 2020, 11:26:18 AM
I don't know why it always has to descend into attacking really innocuous boring things like his clothing or him looking awkward or whatever. This is exactly the kind of thing we would call foul on when it happened repeatedly to Corbyn. I know there's an element of enjoying giving it back as good as we received it, but i wish it was more focused and directed into shitty things he's actually done and is doing. Even if he was dressing well we'd be picking that apart as being stage managed flash behaviour.

It's a fair point but this is how you smear someone isn't it - you make them ugly and a figure of ridicule.  I think if you are going to take him down then it doesn't really matter whether you are aping the behaviour of the otherside, you've gone past appeals to compromise.

thugler

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 29, 2020, 12:04:29 PM
It's a fair point but this is how you smear someone isn't it - you make them ugly and a figure of ridicule.  I think if you are going to take him down then it doesn't really matter whether you are aping the behaviour of the otherside, you've gone past appeals to compromise.

Yeah, it's a fair point

pigamus

It's not smearing him to say he looks like a fucking awkward dildo when he does

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: thugler on November 29, 2020, 11:26:18 AM
This is exactly the kind of thing we would call foul on when it happened repeatedly to Corbyn. I know there's an element of enjoying giving it back as good as we received it, but i wish it was more focused and directed into shitty things he's actually done and is doing.

I was going to make this first point yesterday but in respect of the latter, I think we have focused on shitty things he's actually done and is doing. You become awfully quiet when those are being discussed.

idunnosomename

Deso

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1333012606894952449?s=19

Glad i didnt vote for her. Absolute top-tier shilling here.

And most columinsts are thick and egotistical, Nick Cohen is one who seems genuinely quite evil

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: pigamus on November 29, 2020, 12:21:22 PM
It's not smearing him to say he looks like a fucking awkward dildo when he does

I was more referring to the art of smear and the long history of leftwingers being smeared for what they wore and how they looked but yeah ok.

TrenterPercenter

chveik

idunnosomename

Like a gullible cartoon character completely destroying their own house trying to kill a mischievous small animal with an overpowered weapon and indiscriminate force

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 29, 2020, 12:24:22 PM
I was going to make this first point yesterday but in respect of the latter, I think we have focused on shitty things he's actually done and is doing. You become awfully quiet when those are being discussed.

I think it's quite likely people are more quiet on aspects of agreement than they are in areas of disagreement because that is generally how discussions work.  That is something that speaks to your grey water thread and a lot of this paranoid thinking that seems to be occuring way too often recently.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 29, 2020, 12:46:24 PM
Like a gullible cartoon character completely destroying their own house trying to kill a mischievous small animal with an overpowered weapon and indiscriminate force

Yeah, I read this and I fear people know something that we don't yet.

chveik

this type of "zero tolerance" stance is always irrealistic and irrational. they all sound like they've been brainwashed.

idunnosomename

They kinda have been. If they don't tow the line they'll lose the whip and their jobs. And it's not as if having been a Labour MP is a ticket in the revolving door to PR/media in the same way Lib Dem/Tory is. You're too "political" for that.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: chveik on November 29, 2020, 12:55:19 PM
this type of "zero tolerance" stance is always irrealistic and irrational. they all sound like they've been brainwashed.

Not brainwashed but like journalists they sense the way the wind is blowing.

I was trying to highlight this with the poll by Labourlist.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 29, 2020, 12:46:24 PM

This, basically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HglhtiK3K5c

Buelligan

And you know why they're doing it.  They're doing it because that's what they would've done to themselves if they'd been Corbyn.  Because they don't love the Party and changing the world for the better is not their imperative.

Johnny Yesno

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteNEW: Of the five-year rule not allowing people to rejoin Labour if they supported non-Labour candidates, Starmer says "we need to look again at that where people left the party because of antisemitism".

Lol

thugler

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 29, 2020, 12:24:22 PM

Not so much talking about on here, but there's an awful lot of twitter etc that is just focused on that stuff. If you've actually read the thread I've been plenty critical of stuff he's done thanks. Fill your boots with the 'he looks like a twat' stuff if you must

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on November 29, 2020, 12:55:19 PM

They have been.

Never liked Labour anyway.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thugler on November 29, 2020, 01:43:39 PM
Not so much talking about on here, but there's an awful lot of twitter etc that is just focused on that stuff. If you've actually read the thread I've been plenty critical of stuff he's done thanks. Fill your boots with the 'he looks like a twat' stuff if you must

You, friend, are a massive part of the problem...in your suede brogues and beige slacks.

Buelligan

Quote from: thugler on November 29, 2020, 01:43:39 PM

I don't think he looks particularly like a twat.  I like twats.

I think he looks like a monster.  An all-you-can-eat human-buffet black hole.  He'd look like that even if he was naked and the lights were off.

Sebastian Cobb

I actually find the puerile takedowns of him quite funny to be honest. I realise this only reflects badly on me really but it's still preferable to being 'sensible'.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2020, 02:09:38 PM
I actually find the puerile takedowns of him quite funny to be honest. I realise this only reflects badly on me really but it's still preferable to being 'sensible'.

doesn't reflect badly. Thugler and his ilk made a living from denigrating decent, honest people like Corbyn. They would probably tsk at you singing "Hitler has only got one ball" if this were the 70s.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 29, 2020, 02:06:10 PM
I don't think he looks particularly like a twat.  I like twats.

I think he looks like a monster.  An all-you-can-eat human-buffet black hole.  He'd look like that even if he was naked and the lights were off.

QuoteBig man, pig man
Ha, ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel
Ha, ha, charade you are
And when your hand is on your heart
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying 'Keep on digging'
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find
Down in the pig mine?
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 29, 2020, 02:14:34 PM
doesn't reflect badly. Thugler and his ilk made a living from denigrating decent, honest people like Corbyn. They would probably tsk at you singing "Hitler has only got one ball" if this were the 70s.

Oh good. I mean shit like this... despite being crap, does bring some levity.