Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:55:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v3: Abstainence Makes the Farce Grow Stronger

Started by BlodwynPig, October 07, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2020, 02:09:38 PM
I actually find the puerile takedowns of him quite funny to be honest. I realise this only reflects badly on me really but it's still preferable to being 'sensible'.

My other half was pissing herself last night at the skate boarder mock up, she has been pretty anti-starmer from the start but i'm sure in 4 years time if he is all there is on offer she will vote for him. 

I'm not sure not being peurile is therefore "sensible", I don't think any actual 'sensible' people give a shit about this kind of thing (in any sincere way), they'll just use it to garner more support for centrism.  This shouldn't be confused with people who recognise this and just think it doesn't play well with sections of the audience even within the left itself.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 29, 2020, 02:22:11 PM
My other half was pissing herself last night at the skate boarder mock up, she has been pretty anti-starmer from the start but i'm sure in 4 years time if he is all there is on offer she will vote for him. 

I'm not sure not being peurile is therefore "sensible", I don't think any actual 'sensible' people give a shit about this kind of thing (in any sincere way), they'll just use it to garner more support for centrism.  This shouldn't be confused with people who recognise this and just think it doesn't play well with sections of the audience even within the left itself.

An observation I saw someone make on leftie twitter was 'if your politics is not at least shitpost-adjacent, you're part of the problem' and I'd be inclined to agree really. Centrists can't shitpost for toffee but do they need to when they've got people like John Crace shitposting in print media?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2020, 02:27:24 PM
An observation I saw someone make on leftie twitter was 'if your politics is not at least shitpost-adjacent, you're part of the problem' and I'd be inclined to agree really. Centrists can't shitpost for toffee but do they need to when they've got people like John Crace shitposting in print media?

The left has decent reach on twitter for sure (be interesting to know what the actual traffic is for leftie twitter as a group compared to people like JOB who have more followers per individual).  Shitposting works in certain mediums but it can also be taken out of these mediums and look quite bad or nasty out of context, and this does happen regularly with tweets in the press.  Shitposting has some limitations but I agree it can be effective in reaching some people (mainly young internet culture driven people).

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 29, 2020, 02:15:18 PM
QuoteBig man, pig man
Ha, ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel
Ha, ha, charade you are
And when your hand is on your heart
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying 'Keep on digging'
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find
Down in the pig mine?
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry

Doesn't even need more cowbell

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 29, 2020, 02:40:14 PM
The left has decent reach on twitter for sure (be interesting to know what the actual traffic is for leftie twitter as a group compared to people like JOB who have more followers per individual).  Shitposting works in certain mediums but it can also be taken out of these mediums and look quite bad or nasty out of context, and this does happen regularly with tweets in the press.  Shitposting has some limitations but I agree it can be effective in reaching some people (mainly young internet culture driven people).

I was kind of thinking shitposting might be the word of the dispossessed really, from relatively apolitical internet history it was a counterculture childish scrawling from I guess people not being heard this later gained politics. Much like graffiti I suppose.

Of course not all of it is political, but also a crude ms paint drawing that is as graphic as it is puerile can have more satire in it than a series of HIGNFY these days.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2020, 02:27:24 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not as young as I was, what does shitpost-adjacent' mean?

thugler

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 29, 2020, 02:14:34 PM
doesn't reflect badly. Thugler and his ilk made a living from denigrating decent, honest people like Corbyn. They would probably tsk at you singing "Hitler has only got one ball" if this were the 70s.

The guy i campaigned for for 2 elections and joined the party for. Yeah.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 29, 2020, 02:58:13 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not as young as I was, what does shitpost-adjacent' mean?

I guess it means you like and ideologically share the same views as people making purile dross despite not making it yourself. It's probably a twitter subcuture thing what with twitter being subcultures in a system that lumps everyone together, but I suppose we could apply it here to people who share your political opinions but are also active in HS Art.

'political hs art' would be a good description of shitposts in this context i guess.

thugler

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 29, 2020, 02:21:32 PM
Oh good. I mean shit like this... despite being crap, does bring some levity.

Yeah this isn't really what i was criticising, I'm not against shitposting entirely.

lipsink

I actually don't mind puerile takedowns either. I just couldn't actually see what was wrong with what he was wearing.

JaDanketies

Quote from: lipsink on November 29, 2020, 04:05:13 PM
I actually don't mind puerile takedowns either. I just couldn't actually see what was wrong with what he was wearing.

I'm wearing a tie-dye onesie today so I try not to judge

although if Kier turned up in a tie-dye onesie it might make me more favourable to him

BlodwynPig

Quote from: thugler on November 29, 2020, 03:03:51 PM
The guy i campaigned for for 2 elections and joined the party for. Yeah.

"I met a black man in Torquay"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 29, 2020, 04:18:56 PM
I'm wearing a tie-dye onesie today so I try not to judge

although if Kier turned up in a tie-dye onesie it might make me more favourable to him

He won't. He likes Three Lions. Probably will buy the new Barlow-Corden effort to have a chuckle with his wife.

BlodwynPig

lipsink

BlodwynPig

lipsink

Johnny Yesno

Sebastian Cobb

jobotic

https://mobile.twitter.com/LabourList/status/1333063406547558404

Remember when we laughed at Tinge? Well they're coming back!

Although they're all doing well working for debt collectors and despots.

Buelligan

Saw that, probably been in talks with Tommy Robinson.  If it gets us a Labour government, more importantly a fucking grown-up PM, all for it because I'm sensible.  OK?

Quote from: lipsink on November 29, 2020, 06:01:49 PM
Yes, it was an attempt at one. Sorry.

I thought it was quite good actually.  (I am bellowing as I type this).

lipsink

When Corbyn does videos like that it always rings true that he actually passionately believes in it with every fibre of his being. Most politicians when they do it they just look like they're ticking off another thing they have to do that day so they can go home and watch Netflix.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 29, 2020, 06:42:57 PM
Saw that, probably been in talks with Tommy Robinson.  If it gets us a Labour government, more importantly a fucking grown-up PM, all for it because I'm sensible.  OK?

I thought it was quite good actually.  (I am bellowing as I type this).

With people like Thugler hanging around, you can never be so sure

Buelligan

Ah thugler's alright, he'll get over it soon enough and if he doesn't we can always string him up by the balls from a lamp post.  It'll all be fine, sure it will.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 29, 2020, 07:48:50 PM
Ah thugler's alright, he'll get over it soon enough and if he doesn't we can always string him up by the balls from a lamp post.  It'll all be fine, sure it will.

going soft in your youth.

Buelligan

Heheh.  Nobody said this would be easy or even, bloodless.