Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:29:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v3: Abstainence Makes the Farce Grow Stronger

Started by BlodwynPig, October 07, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 18, 2020, 07:52:33 AM
Lots of people in the comments pointing that out.

Similar going on here as well.
https://twitter.com/stellacreasy/status/1317523095041822724

To be fair to Nandy I think she genuinely is quite stupid.

imitationleather

I'm a bit ashamed that I was taught by David Hirsh, although this was before Corbyn came along and exposed how horrible these people's views are. I knew he was big into his Israel, but that topic seemed awfully complex so I never looked into it in any detail.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2020, 01:50:03 PM
I'm a bit ashamed that I was taught by David Hirsh, although this was before Corbyn came along and exposed how horrible these people's views are. I knew he was big into his Israel, but that topic seemed awfully complex so I never looked into it in any detail.

when I read his page, you were the person who came into my mind's eye

imitationleather

He's a very big Arsenal fan, so I was always slightly suspicious of him.

Sebastian Cobb

LOL Creasy leaked a letter to Pogrund and they're both too pigshit-thick to redact it properly.

She was policing randoms on twitter for not being deferential earlier, while swimming in the pool of one of the most right-wing newspapers in the country.

Buelligan

Even Grimesy probably knows the difference between right and write.  Though this cigar penis does give some insight into Armando's problems with the Left.  What a disappointing, pleased-with-himself, cunt.

pigamus

Well if he's asking it's because he doesn't know. I'm not that hot on economics either. Don't see why Dawn Foster has to be a twat about it.

Buelligan

Because Iannucci is a cunt and deserves a good public shoeing.

Paul Calf

If only he'd shown similar humility when it actually mattered.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on October 18, 2020, 04:18:29 PM
Because Iannucci is a cunt and deserves a good public shoeing.

I'm more on this side of the argument, Foster strikes me as a great bunch of lads. Although a Centrist pal tried to claim she's the Dan Hodges of the left, which struck me as very unfair.

Buelligan

It's completely unfair, Dan Hodges has no yin, it's as simple as that.

gib

As i understand it, governments borrow by issuing bonds. A bond is a kind of IOU that traditionally pays interest to the bearer. While these bonds can be purchased by the governments of other countries they are also bought by private investors, pension funds and any institution that has cash to spare, e.g. charities.

Sebastian Cobb

Interest rates for state borrowing are so low they can borrow it and let it sit on a shelf and it'll be worth more than the interest over time.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 18, 2020, 04:59:24 PM
Interest rates for state borrowing are so low they can borrow it and let it sit on a shelf and it'll be worth more than the interest over time.

negative interests for a time? generally governments get very good rates of interest anyway, but they are historically low so its an open goal for Rishi, but he didn't take it and only James Meadway has talked about this that I have seen.

colacentral

Quote from: Buelligan on October 18, 2020, 04:04:34 PM
Even Grimesy probably knows the difference between right and write.  Though this cigar penis does give some insight into Armando's problems with the Left.  What a disappointing, pleased-with-himself, cunt.

Yeah, the pertinent point is that his level of ignorance on this explains a lot about his political opinions. He's a fraud. He's not a political satirist, he's a media satirist.

Kelvin

Quote from: pigamus on October 18, 2020, 04:14:35 PM
Well if he's asking it's because he doesn't know. I'm not that hot on economics either. Don't see why Dawn Foster has to be a twat about it.

Yeah, but you're not one of Britain's leading political satirists.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kelvin on October 18, 2020, 05:35:11 PM

but he is one of CaB's beigest centrists.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes.

And what's with asking that question faux-innocently on a public platform when it's something anyone could find out themselves through basic research.

It's like he wanted to make a point then checked himself and figured out how else to pitch it. Get off Twitter Almindo

BlodwynPig

"Hello Hugh, I was just wondering whatever happened to Armando Iannucci?"

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 18, 2020, 06:54:23 PM
"Hello Hugh, I was just wondering whatever happened to Armando Iannucci?"

Oh, I'm stealing that :-D

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: colacentral on October 18, 2020, 05:29:32 PM
Yeah, the pertinent point is that his level of ignorance on this explains a lot about his political opinions. He's a fraud. He's not a political satirist, he's a media satirist.

Yes, I suppose that's always been the case, but it wasn't necessarily clear before what the difference is.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

'It was called Third way politics back then, not Centrism, that came later'

peanutbutter

He's a good producer who likes to produce satire. He's good at thinking of broad concepts for other people to work on and finding the right people to work on them. The peak of his own comedic output is probably the Stewart Lee red button bits.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 18, 2020, 07:42:28 PM
The peak of his own comedic output is probably the Stewart Lee red button bits.

I'd say it's The Armando Iannucci Shows.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, with lots of stuff in between.

It is a good point the cognitive dissonance between his dissection of the media and political process, particularly his criticism in The Thick of It about politics reduced to administrative competency over values and his inability to possess seemingly any adventurous progressive political views whatsoever.

pigamus

Fair enough, but I still don't think it's that weird to know a fair bit about politics but fuck all about economics. If he'd done PPE at Oxford like the politicians do, maybe, but he did English same as I did.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think it's remarkable how we, for example, all seem to know relatively unsophisticated economic concepts yet someone who has involved themselves so deeply, in fact surrounded himself with insiders and researches in the aim of producing political satire claims ignorance on the issue, but even further than that, cannot even be arsed researching this in private and is happy flaunting it on twitter in a faux ignorant 'not sure about this but cant be wrong surely' way. Looks an absolute tit.

Blumf