Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party Desolation v3: Abstainence Makes the Farce Grow Stronger

Started by BlodwynPig, October 07, 2020, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernice

Can't wait til Keir Starmer has a pop at Priti Patel for virtue signalling in the commons, absolute scenes.

phantom_power

I think part of the problem is that the properties that are required to be a successful politician aren't necessarily the same ones for being a caring, empathic human being. In fact some are mutually exclusive. Just look at Corbyn. He is clearly a caring, compassionate man, and that was part of what stopped him playing the political game to curry favour when he was the leader. He could have blanded out the message in order to get elected but he valued honesty over spin

jobotic

Rayner's point might have made sense when Johnson accused Starmer of being a Remainer IRA sympathiser in PMQs weeks ago but now its dispiriting.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on October 09, 2020, 11:46:36 AM
I think part of the problem is that the properties that are required to be a successful politician aren't necessarily the same ones for being a caring, empathic human being. In fact some are mutually exclusive. Just look at Corbyn. He is clearly a caring, compassionate man, and that was part of what stopped him playing the political game to curry favour when he was the leader. He could have blanded out the message in order to get elected but he valued honesty over spin

This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy I reckon. Centrists often use it to justify politicians being morally bankrupt.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: phantom_power on October 09, 2020, 11:46:36 AM

I disagree. His honesty was what made him stand out. People don't want more of that centrist crap that has failed us. Unfortunately, the only political force with any power that have realised this is the right and they are exploiting the hell out of it.

Buelligan

Absolutely true, IMO, on both counts.  The right are stoking up a culture war and the centrists are saying let's do beige to catch the imagination and interest of the people, you'd think they were stupid if you couldn't see the agenda.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

But no pancreas, no, it is because he is Clever Man With Plan, not like the failure of opposition when Corbyn concertedly opposed every bad idea the government had and inflicted the most commons defeats on any sitting government.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pancreas on October 09, 2020, 09:00:20 PM
This is good.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1314618895865647104?s=20

She's a great bunch of lads isn't she?

Sad to see the drubbing she got over a bit of what looked on the face of it quite necessary and justifiable online-panhandling.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 09, 2020, 09:47:59 PM
She's a great bunch of lads isn't she?

Sad to see the drubbing she got over a bit of what looked on the face of it quite necessary and justifiable online-panhandling.

She is. What drubbing?

Kelvin

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Kelvin on October 10, 2020, 08:09:26 AM
In fairness, working man Keith is making a stand on the issue of pub closing times. Could we expect a cockney accent next?

This 'stand' is absurd anyway, half of England are going to end up with full pub closures soon and Sleepy Keith is bollocksing around with moral outrage about an hour, an imminent moot point.

Labour's strategy on covid is becoming completely inconsistent. It was easier when Keith just had to say 'We support the government'. They are trying to triangulate but when the pieces are in flux, this is close to impossible without being internally contradictory. Reopen schools, repeal 10pm pub closures, oh wait back to 100s of daily deaths, well done you spineless cretin.

Sebastian Cobb

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 10, 2020, 02:29:23 PM
He's a useless melt. A gravestone in a suit.

He and his ilk are the biggest danger to Britain at the present time and going forward...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 10, 2020, 03:02:20 PM
He and his ilk are the biggest danger to Britain at the present time and going forward...

Yep, tories gonna tory but he's a far greater obstacle to anything vaguely left-wing.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 10, 2020, 12:44:53 PM
Stuff like this, I think there was a bit of a pile on at one point: https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1264792849905856512

Thanks. I got confused. I thought we were talking about Zarah Sultana, who is also a great bunch of lads.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 10, 2020, 02:24:31 PM
This 'stand' is absurd anyway, half of England are going to end up with full pub closures soon and Sleepy Keith is bollocksing around with moral outrage about an hour, an imminent moot point.

Especially since there's a pretty good compromise idea floating around which is to let pubs stay open late on the condition they only let people in up to 10pm.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54492682

Disagree with the bloke in terms of Covid safety but Burnham is pretty comfortably outdoing Keith (and Khan) for 'leadership'.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 10, 2020, 03:52:21 PM
Especially since there's a pretty good compromise idea floating around which is to let pubs stay open late on the condition they only let people in up to 10pm.

Not a compromise though is it? That's just fiddling about on the periphery of the problem without addressing the core issue. The basic problem is that to curtail the spread of this we need everyone to be as socially responsible as possible and follow the rules, that is not compatible with drinking booze. Closing pubs is the least that should be done.

Paul Calf

And probably schools too. That they haven't done this, combined with the suicidally stupid "Eat out to help out" madness demostrates that the government are only interested in propagating this pandemic in a massive human eugenics experiment.

They're criminals. But their crimes will be paid for by us.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 10, 2020, 08:39:40 PM
And probably schools too. That they haven't done this, combined with the suicidally stupid "Eat out to help out" madness demostrates that the government are only interested in propagating this pandemic in a massive human eugenics experiment.

They're criminals. But their crimes will be paid for by us.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your next President of the United Kingdom, Mr. Suicidally stupid himself, Dishy, Rishi....Sunak!!!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 10, 2020, 08:22:52 PM
Not a compromise though is it? That's just fiddling about on the periphery of the problem without addressing the core issue. The basic problem is that to curtail the spread of this we need everyone to be as socially responsible as possible and follow the rules, that is not compatible with drinking booze. Closing pubs is the least that should be done.

I agree that a full lockdown is what is really needed but at least the entry only up until 10pm idea has some logic to it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on October 10, 2020, 11:58:30 PM
I agree that a full lockdown is what is really needed but at least the entry only up until 10pm idea has some logic to it.

Does it?

Peak times appear to be 6-9. It chops off the end of football, and seems to be a good way to make sure people go back to someone's house afterwards (especially in scotland where 'carry outs' are also shut at 10, so that's a deadline you don't want to miss and will ensure you don't, versus accidentally missing it and staying in the pub like I've done many a time).

idunnosomename

we need it but we can't afford it, because the tory cunts the Ayesha Hazarikas of the world got to ultimate power absolutely fucked everything. hooray.

Sebastian Cobb

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/09/30/largest-covid-19-contact-tracing-study-date-finds-children-key-spread-evidence

no ifs, no buts

On another forum, me and a couple of other lefties had a several week argument over the fact the schools probably shouldn't be opening. With a couple of vocal centrists insisting that kids didn't spread it, or were affected by it in any way. When shutdowns happened they started performing mental gymnastics that it was spread outside schools, and children couldn't pass it between each other in schools, for some reason. We pointed out schools weren't just full of children, and the people teaching them were at risk, they didn't give a shit, the teachers were being 'difficult', of course so was RLB and it was good she was replaced.

Funnily enough, as things go from bad to worse there's a lot of 'I never said that' going on. The forum does have a slightly better search function than here so it's easier to 'this you?' people.

BlodwynPig

greencalx

It's not only the anti-maskers who are being over-simplistic about this.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greencalx on October 11, 2020, 11:44:07 AM
It's not only the anti-maskers who are being over-simplistic about this.

I know which simpletons I'd trust.