Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

halloween films for children

Started by PlanktonSideburns, October 07, 2020, 09:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

got a family haloween film night coming up,

thinking of horror films that wont mind-bend a sensitive 9 year old

how frightening is gremlins 2?

any other suggestions?

Replies From View

Nightmare Before Christmas

Ghostbusters

Un Chien Andalou

BlodwynPig

lipsink

lipsink

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 07, 2020, 09:28:19 PM

I saw Gremlins 2 at the cinema when I was 8 years old and the only bit that scared me is a pretty nasty bit with a Gremlin getting put into a shredder. Also, if your kids are scared of spiders there's a giant Gremllin spider scene. Apart from that though it should be fine. It's quite a fun, cartoonish film.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 07, 2020, 09:28:19 PM
got a family haloween film night coming up,

thinking of horror films that wont mind-bend a sensitive 9 year old

any other suggestions?

My step-son's the same age and used to be very easily-scared, but this new Siren Head crazy among the kidz has gotten him more interested in horror. He was fine with the first Gremlins, and I remember the second one being a lot more silly/less scary. Fine for a kid that age, I reckon. He watched Beetlejuice yesterday and wasn't too bothered (surprisingly it's a PG in the US, despite having an F-bomb and some vaguely dodgy stuff in it).

Here are some other horrorish films he's survived without lasting trauma:

- Nightmare Before Christmas (probably the best suggestion)
- Paranorman
- The Witches
- Mars Attacks!
- The House With A Clock In Its Walls
- Jaws
- Ghostbusters 1&2
- The Addams Family 1&2 (90s)
- The Mummy (1999)

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark was too much (although he did make it to the end with eyes covered), and the Goosebumps movie was rough-going about a year ago, although I'm sure he could manage it now.

I'm sure there are others, I'll let you know if I remember any of them.

PlanktonSideburns

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 07, 2020, 09:45:32 PM
is an xmas movie tho?

It's both! Deals primarily with a bunch of Halloween-worshippers learning about and accepting Christ Christmas into their hearts.

Plenty of pumpkins, in any event.

lipsink

FrankenWeenie (the feature length version) is pretty damn good too.

bomb_dog

Hotel Transylvania is quite fun, but a little distasteful in the treatment of the zombies throughout. Virtually everything in the film are all monsters or undead or whatever, but all the characters treated the zomvies like an underclass of slaves.

Sorry for being a wet lib about it.

Also looking for good gently spooky ideas for halloween, but for a three year old who is fascinated by the idea of spooky ghosts, ghostbusters, marshmallow man etc but is scared by Slimer, the more harrowing episodes of Octonauts, and only lasted a few minutes into a Scooby Doo, Where Are You? episode before getting frightened.

PlanktonSideburns

tell the soft cunt to pull himself together

lipsink

Beetlejuice might be okay at a push.

Little Shop of Horrors?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: lipsink on October 07, 2020, 10:02:12 PM
Beetlejuice might be okay at a push.

Little Shop of Horrors?

oh man, little shop of horrors is a good shout

PlanktonSideburns

oh man, the effects on little shop of horrors are ace

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: bomb_dog on October 07, 2020, 09:55:09 PM
Also looking for good gently spooky ideas for halloween, but for a three year old who is fascinated by the idea of spooky ghosts, ghostbusters, marshmallow man etc but is scared by Slimer, the more harrowing episodes of Octonauts, and only lasted a few minutes into a Scooby Doo, Where Are You? episode before getting frightened.

Maybe some old Disney\Warner Bros cartoons like;

Lonesome Ghosts staring Mickey, Donald and Goofy

Broomstick Bunny starring Bugs Bunny

Scaredy Cat starting Porky and Sylvester

The Skelleton Dance starting No one.

And there's always Funnybones for the ultimate in benign undead antics.

bomb_dog

Funnybones looks like a good shout, thank you! The Skelleton Dance may be a little scary, but I'm keen to try Lonesome Ghosts.

It's a strange fascination - intrigued but petrified of even mild scares. She still occasionally breaks into the "Marley and Marley" song from Muppets Xmas Carol, and she was only 2 and a half when we were watching that at Christmas, so she's got a good memory for safe spooky things.

SavageHedgehog

You're welcome, hope she enjoys it!

Nobody Soup

arachnophobia was a fave of mine as a kid.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched the two live action Scooby Doo films with my friends and their kids a while back. The critical drubbing they received on release was entirely over the top, in my opinion.

... and the films were fun, too.

wooders1978

Spirited away is on Netflix - could be a good choice

JaDanketies

Absorb the anus burn

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Youtuber Dan Drambles is currently doing Wholesome Halloween - a series of vids all about this very subject.

El Unicornio, mang

Coco, Pixar film which is kind of Halloween-y, but via the Mexican Day of the Dead tradition.