Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

halloween films for children

Started by PlanktonSideburns, October 07, 2020, 09:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 13, 2020, 10:21:29 PM
I never understood - and still don't understand to this day - how so many people thought Ghostwatch was real.  Everyone in it was obviously acting - some VERY obviously - I spotted a few continuity gaffes (on account of some of the "live link" footage actually being pre-recorded and played back on video tape) and the fact that a writer was credited as well.  Honestly, I thought the Enfield haunting stuff was more realistic, and those two fucks couldn't convince their way out of a bag made of wet bog paper.

I know I'm not alone in this thinking though, as other CaBbers have said much the same every time Ghostwatch gets a mention.

Easy to say in hindsight or with the benefit of knowing what you're about to watch, not so easy to say when it's going out live and without the benefit of timeshifting.

If you hadn't read the listing in the Radio Times or didn't know that it was part of the Screen One series of one-off dramas, there weren't many other obvious clues that it wasn't real if you'd just happened to tune in blind. It's the use of unknown actors and factual presenters, particularly one of Parkinson's calibre, that really make the illusion.

thenoise

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 14, 2020, 04:25:36 PM
Easy to say in hindsight or with the benefit of knowing what you're about to watch, not so easy to say when it's going out live and without the benefit of timeshifting.

If you hadn't read the listing in the Radio Times or didn't know that it was part of the Screen One series of one-off dramas, there weren't many other obvious clues that it wasn't real if you'd just happened to tune in blind. It's the use of unknown actors and factual presenters, particularly one of Parkinson's calibre, that really make the illusion.

Wont have nearly the same impact on today's 14 year old for this reason - presenters are unknowns or look ridiculously young and the format looks dated and stilted in a way that live TV doesnt look any more.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on October 14, 2020, 04:25:36 PM

Fair enough, except I watched it live as well and thought the same then (I've not seen it at all since).  In fact I thought it was a bit naff really.

JaDanketies

Quote from: thenoise on October 14, 2020, 04:46:09 PM
Wont have nearly the same impact on today's 14 year old for this reason - presenters are unknowns or look ridiculously young and the format looks dated and stilted in a way that live TV doesnt look any more.
it's still spooky majooky when you see Pipes behind the curtains

El Unicornio, mang

I watched the 2016 Ghosbusters remake last night and thought it was pretty decent (better than I expected anyway) and definitely a good one for kids, although there is a joke about fanny farts and use of the f-word in the first 20 minutes.