Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:47:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Funny Five Minutes

Started by the, October 08, 2020, 05:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

Earlier on my cat had a textbook Funny Five Minutes, scrattling about the place and thundering up and down the stairs.

Which got me to thinking about the very phenomenon of the Funny Five Minutes, and I thought 'there's a thread in that'.

So tell me about a 'Funny Five Minutes' you've been party to. (Or the initiator of.) What was the outcome, and who cleaned up afterwards?

steve98

As a kid we had a basset hound (called Dumbo), who would have a Mad Half-Hour, runnin' around crazy. Turned out it was mad and had to be put down before someone got hurt.

shiftwork2

Quote from: steve98 on October 08, 2020, 05:26:55 PM
a mad half-hour

Definitely the phrase I'm more familiar with when it comes to madcap pet behaviour.

Andy Warhol said that in the future everyone will be funny for five minutes.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Have the funny five minutes started yet?

Non Stop Dancer

Sometimes my cats would spontaneously start fighting with each other for no reason whatsoever. My dad said it was a sign the devil was in the house. Shouldn't say that to a 9 year old, ideally.

flotemysost

My cats, two brothers, would do this too - partway through a tender mutual grooming session, a lick would become a bite, and next thing there'd be a Tasmanian devil-like whirlwind of snarling fur and flailing claws tearing all over the house, with both of them sulking and glaring at each other for ages after being separated. They were the definition of a love-hate fraternal bond, like feline Gallagher brothers.

They also used to regularly mount each other despite both being neutered, dunno if the Gallaghers ever do that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: shiftwork2 on October 08, 2020, 05:29:09 PM
Definitely the phrase I'm more familiar with when it comes to madcap pet behaviour.

Boss has just got a Spaniel and is way out of their depth, you can hear the thing being a nuisance in the background.

"the thing about Spaniels is, they look really energetic but then they just come home and go to sleep!"

Do they, aye?

Captain Crunch

Bohumil Hrabal refers to this as the meshugge Stunde, the crazy hour.  He also talks about being so excited to see his cat after a week away he picked it up and rubbed it against his forehead. 

Cerys

Spoony goes haywire in the hallway every now and then, jumping around and squeaking.  We have dubbed these times 'Charlie in the trees'.

Psmith

Quote from: steve98 on October 08, 2020, 05:26:55 PM
As a kid we had a basset hound (called Dumbo), who would have a Mad Half-Hour, runnin' around crazy. Turned out it was mad and had to be put down before someone got hurt.

That's sad.

Our's has a zoomies most days.Running madly about and trying to bite her tail.Mostly outside thankfully.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Captain Crunch on October 08, 2020, 08:34:42 PM
Bohumil Hrabal refers to this as the meshugge Stunde, the crazy hour.  He also talks about being so excited to see his cat after a week away he picked it up and rubbed it against his forehead.

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2020/02/12/the-torment-of-cats/

Some background.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

The bit with the kittens in the sack is hilarious. More please!

Sebastian Cobb

Had a funny couple of hours.

Basically what I call a 'mini migraine' - like the preliminary symptoms of a migraine (funny head, stomach, slight tingling) followed by a headache but quite mild and over in a couple of hours.

Sometimes I get that, other times I just get the visuals to a lesser extent, if it's a proper migraine I get a massive aura in one of my visual fields that makes reading or wandering about impossible, whereas this is more like the bleached spot you get in your eyes after a camera flash has gone off, but for upto a couple of minutes.

flotemysost

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 09, 2020, 08:02:38 AM
https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2020/02/12/the-torment-of-cats/

Some background.

Fucking HELL

Had never heard of this bloke until I had to check something at work recently (relating to a reissue edition of said book, which had a cutesy cover populated by Cheezburger-esque kitties). Obviously there were reams of horrified 1-star Amazon reviews from disgruntled cat-loving customers.

Sounds like an interesting read, but I don't know if I'd ever be in the right mindset to not feel crushingly depressed afterwards.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 09, 2020, 07:18:14 PM
Had a funny couple of hours.

Basically what I call a 'mini migraine' - like the preliminary symptoms of a migraine (funny head, stomach, slight tingling) followed by a headache but quite mild and over in a couple of hours.

Sometimes I get that, other times I just get the visuals to a lesser extent, if it's a proper migraine I get a massive aura in one of my visual fields that makes reading or wandering about impossible, whereas this is more like the bleached spot you get in your eyes after a camera flash has gone off, but for upto a couple of minutes.

Hilarious stuff. Let us know if you have a seizure or something to bring in the megalolz.