Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:37:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Image Hosting Sites

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, October 09, 2020, 03:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I asked this in the Photography thread, but I thought I'd try here too. What's the best one of these? Imgur seems popular but, looking at the front page, it seems a bit cluttered. I'm just after a simple way of storing and managing pictures, to a large extent for posting here on CaB.
As I mentioned in the Potential thread, I really ought to be getting a portfolio website up and running for work. Should I just do that and use some of the storage space for CaB stuff?

the

You want one where you have your own profile and all your images are stored in there?

I've never done that since the Photobucket days so I don't know which ones are best for that. But for just 'dump it and get the link' stuff, in recent years I've oscillated between Postimages and Imgur.

Imgur used to let you Ctrl+V an image in, then they stopped that. Then I moved to Postimages. Which later seemed to get domain name and bandwidth throttling issues. So I went back to Imgur. And now Imgur forces you to sign in, so I've gone back to Postimages again.

Some people also seem to use IBB, I haven't had experience of that.

If you're considering going down the route of using your portfolio site as the box you drop all your images into, you'll obviously want to check how much storage you get (and any hotlinking restrictions) on wherever you're setting that up.

Gurke and Hare

Imgur doesn't make me log in, I can upload stuff there without doing.

I use Postimages currently for my avatar and any photos I post here. I don't have an account on there though, so managing what I've uploaded is a rather unwieldly process of saving links into a txt file.

the

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on October 09, 2020, 04:26:25 PMImgur doesn't make me log in, I can upload stuff there without doing.

It does now make you log in if you have a adblocker.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 09, 2020, 04:36:15 PMI use Postimages currently for my avatar and any photos I post here. I don't have an account on there though, so managing what I've uploaded is a rather unwieldly process of saving links into a txt file.

There are Sign Up/Sign In buttons to the top-right (which to be honest I never noticed until today) - could be worth investigating.

Yep, I decided to sign up for Postimages. No farting about giving it all my personal details, I just had to input my email address and it was done.

They're probably selling it to some dodgy fuckers as we speak.

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: the on October 09, 2020, 05:11:57 PM
It does now make you log in if you have a adblocker.

My adblocker (ublock origin) blocks that.

the

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 09, 2020, 06:58:44 PMMy adblocker (ublock origin) blocks that.

My adblocker is uBlock Origin too. Not arsed adding a custom filter if that's what it takes, I've just switched back to Postimages. It's a cleaner site anyway.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: the on October 09, 2020, 08:36:39 PM
My adblocker is uBlock Origin too. Not arsed adding a custom filter if that's what it takes, I've just switched back to Postimages. It's a cleaner site anyway.

I don't think it's custom, I think I may have enabled the pre-existing 'annoyances' filter to get rid of something else and updated at some point though.

olliebean

Quote from: the on October 09, 2020, 04:18:04 PMImgur used to let you Ctrl+V an image in, then they stopped that.

Still works for me, in fact that's the only way I ever add images to imgur.

Sebastian Cobb

The thing I really resent about imgur, but not enough to do anything about, is that it tries to make you install their mobile app on a mobile unless you tell them to get bent and click 'desktop site'. Their mobile site worked fine until they intentionally hobbled it.