Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:29:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lennon would have been 80 today.

Started by kalowski, October 09, 2020, 09:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

That's mental!

I don't listen to The Beatles much nowadays, but when I do I remember they were the greatest band that ever existed.
I even like a lot of his solo work. He just had one of the greatest rock and roll voices ever.

To the toppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!

Glebe

Saw that on the cover of The Radio Times, didn't know the exact date though.

kalowski

Just come across a doc on BBC4 now about Lennon in New York.
Fuck, he had a great voice.

His speaking voice was exactly the same as Paul O'Grady's.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kalowski on October 09, 2020, 10:10:42 PM
Just come across a doc on BBC4 now about Lennon in New York.
Fuck, he had a great voice.

Parody account, surely?

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 09, 2020, 10:17:51 PM
Parody account, surely?
Ha, no, sorry, Blod, I fucking love Lennon's singing voice.

He did have Paul O'Grady's speaking voice, though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Even you, Blodders, have to admit that Lennon had a great rock and roll voice. It's such a thrill listening to him let rip on the likes of Bad Boy and Money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8hOfWs2Xmw

daf

Hand Solo

Quote from: daf on October 09, 2020, 10:43:30 PM
"John Lennon" Shows You How To Play Strawberry Fields

(he also does a very good Paul and Elvis Costello)

Ugh, knew it would be him. He does a decent Bowie, all his other impressions stink, and he does fucking far too many of them.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 09, 2020, 10:31:48 PM
Even you, Blodders, have to admit that Lennon had a great rock and roll voice. It's such a thrill listening to him let rip on the likes of Bad Boy and Money.

Even on his contractually obligated Berry cover of Catch Me If You Can in the 70s. He hated his voice though and once asked George Martin if there was a way of directly inputting it into the studio desk so they could manipulate the sound, Martin had to tell him "Sorry John, to do that we'd have to install an input jack into your larynx."

idunnosomename

he would probably be ranting against masks on twitter and look like a walnut

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 09, 2020, 11:45:19 PM
he would probably be ranting against masks on twitter and look like a walnut

He would've definitely said some stupid, embarrassing things - he always did - but I just cannot imagine him being some sort of anti-mask 'wake up sheeple' nutter. He'd despise Trump and Johnson, they're the sort of cunts he always railed against.

People change as they get older - they become more right-wing, according to the cliche - but Lennon's hatred of authoritarianism, that was an innate, instinctive facet of his character.

non capisco

I reckon he would have made a rap record in broad Scouse in about 1983. Who said we were living in the worst timeline?

kalowski

I think he'd have been registered blind by now.

Brundle-Fly

He would've featured on the 2005 Gorillaz album, Demon Days.

jake thunder

Him and Macca would've formed an acoustic double act in the 80s and would've written some of the most enduring hits of the era.

Lennon defo MAGA now though. "He says some good things y'know. And he's better than these other lying bloody politicians".

I've thought about this a lot.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 09, 2020, 10:31:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8hOfWs2Xmw

the rock n roll stuff, yes. the later mawp-a-longs not so much.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jake thunder on October 10, 2020, 10:59:50 AM
Him and Macca would've formed an acoustic double act in the 80s and would've written some of the most enduring hits of the era.

Lennon defo MAGA now though. "He says some good things y'know. And he's better than these other lying bloody politicians".

I've thought about this a lot.

Maybe he would have run for governor somewhere.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

His horrible attitude to the disabled might have held back any political career. Or made him a Trumpian hero, aahh.

He would be a Morrissey figure, where we have the difficult task of enjoying his genius early work, while attempting to ignore what he now is and the appalling things he says.

Cuellar

I don't think he'd have lived much past 60 given his consumption of so many substances down the years. George died at 58 and probably took fewer drugs.

Politics didn't seem to bother him by 1980. He should have been raging against Reagan but didn't do so AFAIK. Thatcher seems not to have been on his radar at all. It was just John & Yoko peace bollocks. Infact if you want to predict what he would have said down the years, see Yoko's Twitter babble.

ajsmith2

I think had he lived he would have announced his permanent retirement from music effective immediately on Dec 9th 1980, reneging on this vow only once in 1999 to release a remix of Ricky Martin's 'Livin' La Vida Loca'.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 10, 2020, 01:57:42 PM
I don't think he'd have lived much past 60 given his consumption of so many substances down the years. George died at 58 and probably took fewer drugs.

He redacted the video they shot for I'm Losing You in late 1980 because he looked so strung out on the drugs he was taking, he's thin and white as a sheet in the brief glimpses you did get.

studpuppet

Quote from: Hand Solo on October 10, 2020, 02:23:25 PM
He redacted the video they shot for I'm Losing You in late 1980 because he looked so strung out on the drugs he was taking, he's thin and white as a sheet in the brief glimpses you did get.

Sounds like that Chapman bloke did him a favour.

daf

Quote from: Cuellar on October 10, 2020, 12:53:10 PM
Imagine him on LinkedIn!

It isn't hard to do . . .
'Bed-in's for Peace' on TikTok
Facebook and Twitter too

Rizla

Captain Z

"I haven't been able to take him seriously since his duet with Liam Gallagher at the 2012 Olympic ceremony"

kalowski

Quote from: Rizla on October 10, 2020, 02:50:26 PM
Little more than a gutter thug
Beautiful stuff. I watched a few more clips. The Beatles seem to drop into German accents every now and then.