Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Medusa 19 saliva testing

Started by Brian Freeze, October 09, 2020, 10:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Freeze

Work are paying for us to be offered these saliva tests, should I be signing up?

Im not involved in the decision making processes and cant influence it in any way so its just a case of whether I decide to or not and am not science literate enough to work out if its any good.

We've only seen the company blurb and I haven't a clue if 92% specificity/94% accuracy and 96% sensitivity are much cop. The numbers look nice and high but there is an FT article which isnt very complimentary about them.

Sorry for not posting links, I'm on my phone.

Can anyone shed any light please? I trust you lot.

Zetetic

Ask them for a confusion matrix reflecting current estimates of prevalence.

Zetetic

Something like this, for 1000 people?

Yellow is false positives, red is false negatives.

I'm getting accuracy of 92%, and that's rounding in their favour, so I guess they're estimating really high prevalence. Or I've cocked something up.

All assuming you believe their sensitivity and specificity claims, of course.

Zetetic

https://www.ft.com/content/2f6c4175-19e6-403e-ac7a-632d5df8fb5f

Yeah, FT, points out the false positive rate.

I don't know what you'd do with the information that there's a 1 in 20 probability that you have COVID-relevant antibodies.

I don't know what you'd do with the information that you definitely have them, mind you, but that'd be more interesting.

Zetetic

In fairness, I have cocked up a bit, because I was focused on COVID-19 prevalence and antigen testing and not antibody prevalence and testing.

If you reckon that a third of people have COVID-19 antibodies, then it looks something like this:

And a positive test is more like a 6 in 7 chance of being real.

Brian Freeze

Cheers Zetetic, I will try and educate myself about what it all means, got a six year old to entertain on her birthday today but will try and do it over the weekend.